Hydrasynth from ASM

the sounds remind me on my Blofeld quite a bit … when using the wavetables

I was super impressed learning about this aspect of the design. I had wondered where ASM had come up with the diverse choices for the filters. There are Eleven different filter choices for Hydrasynth’'s “First Filter”

Someday, not too many years away with the exponential improvements in processor speed, there will be synths that has live neural network generation built in. The Neuron by Axel Hartmann had this vision but was way to early to be able to pull it off. And the Nsynth prototype from Google too, which too me sounds more like a morphing wave or granular synth.

So with the Hydrasynth at least even if you can’t have the filters run from a neural net live, at least you can have things processed off-line and stored away for you.

1 Like

Way to go mbang! Problem solved.

Now someone will find a source in Australia too, that was asked about earlier.

Will people in the UK be able to buy from DLX or JAM? The first of November is the day after hard crash Brexit if that occurs. (BoJo stole my synth!) No use making suggestion of how to buy this if you’re in the UK – no one knows yet, and it’s sure to change.

ASIDE: I’ve even been wondering if the things happening in Hong Kong could have any affect on the Hydrasynth shipping?

hopefully not, i don’t won’t to have a situation where politics interferes with economies so that everything cracks down consequently and I’m not talking about synth-business alone

Brexit is hard to swallow - still hoping that this will never happen

1 Like

Hmm… i can’t find info about shipping abroad. Maybe because i don’t speak swedish and am to dumb to find where to chose english😁

I didn’t ask ASM, i asked Thomann, and they will not have it in shop. Asm is still working on finding eu distributors ( as far i understood )
But anyway, as you said, November is far far away :roll_eyes:

1 Like

EU is hoping too my brother :v:

DLX doesn’t ship outside Sweden, it seems (says so under Köpvillkor). I couldn’t find that same clause at Jam (only says free shipping in Sweden, under certain conditions), so maybe ask them thru order@jam.se?

1 Like

From what I understand, Medeli is the company backing ASM, so if you look up Medeli’s history, you should get a reasonable picture of what to expect from ASM. I have not personally tried a Medeli product yet, but apparently Medeli digital pianos are sold in US stores such as Sam Ash and Zzounds, so there’s a track record already for those.

ASM’s company president is the daughter of the founder of Medeli.

1 Like

Thanks, i will do that if there will be no other European option.

built up a nearly 3k-modular to achieve what they have built here for about a 3rd of the price…

offtopic aside: i really love what they’ve achieved, and there’s a clear handwriting of darcey and trøberg here!! would also love to p-lock the hell out of that with my OT, but there is not a single german retailer confirmed yet, or did i oversee something here?

1 Like

No , you did not, we all are still waiting…for a dieler :grin:
Plus, is good to hear someone who has expirience with modular to prais hydrasynth, becouse i was thinking about going modular too, i mean, it was an option

1 Like

i think that there are plenty good threads here already that go deep into the topic of the benefits and approaches about modular-equipment.

i, for instance, am trying to not get too compulsive or esoteric on that case
(and i really love the variety of philosophies in “modern boxes”, spanning wide territories between something like a LYRA8, an ELEKTRON-box or this new approach here).

but reading the interview between darcey and perfectcircuit is revealing that their inspiration partly came from eurorack-systems, and therefore i am nothing but stunned by the sounddesign-capabilites they open up with this box. even without having had one under my fingers it is clearly dope to see that FINALLY (also looking at PEAK / SUMMIT here) designers / developers are trying to get out of that 80’s reminiscence and analogue-fetishism…

4 Likes

Funnily enough, when I was researching for a lit review last week I came across the same neural networking techniques used to build & calibrate hydrological models.

Hydrological modelling.
Filter modelling for the Hydra.

Everything’s connected! Or maybe I need more sleep…

5 Likes

So what is a Threeler filter?

It is a filter that consists of three first-order filter sections each of which can be switched between either high-pass or low-pass response. This gives choice by changing the type and order of the combinations to be a low-pass, band-pass or high-pass filter. The overall characteristics of this filter changes to creating unusual timbres. If you want it can really kick up the bass.

There is an analog Eurorack version of this done by Ian Fritz.

=================================

As for neural network modelllng, curiously it often isn’t necessary to explicitly understand what the network is doing. You pick the number of layers and the number of neurons for each layer. Then you train the network on a predefined data set, and then once it’s trained you can feed it new data outside the training set and it will apply what it “learned” from the training set to interpret the new data. Often you don’t take the time to look at the detail of what’s happening inside the neural net. But the process of neural net construction and training i describe here can be a little hit or miss.

I absolutely love that you have the option to define the envelopes (all 5 of them! and they’re all DAHDSR) in times relative to tempo. Then when you increase tempo, the note envelopes themselves follow along naturally, beyond what occurs relative to the length of time the note is on – the note’s rhythmic value. I predict this innovation will be standard on most higher-end synths in the future. It’s what i do when i play a passage faster on my sax, it’s how you sing; it’s musically right.

It will be fun to work out various sorts of envelopes: staccato, portato, legato, and perhaps two more one at either end of this.

7 Likes

Reverb goes around Knobcon. Here they talk to Glen Darcey about the Hydrasynth and listens to some samples. Dominic Au appears in the opening of the video. This snippet is 3 minutes long.

An interesting thing (to me) shown in this video is the additive arpeggiator feature that lets you duplicate notes in a sequence and lets you grow an arpeggiator sequence on the fly. This was also talked about in the interview that GovernorSilver posted here.

There are lots more videos on youtube now of happy people just stopping in at the ASM booth at Knobcon and checking out the Hydrasynth. For instance.

3 Likes

Good detail on this video with Glen.

Plus this one from Sonic State:

There is a sounds only video from Sonic State too.

4 Likes

When he talks about the multiple filters he says “we have eleven different ones right now”

So more to come? What other sorts of things will come in updates?

Sure is a great time to be into synths.

1 Like

The advantages of an all-digital synth!

I can’t wait for November.

2 Likes