Hydrasynth from ASM

magnificent and inventive can you explain the first example, the stamp comes from hydra? I suppose and so I hear a magnificent patch here :wink: can you explain this patch to your good French friend? or better share it ;)))? as always itā€™s informative and inspiring thank you!

1 Like

Translation of timbre ?

This one ?

All recordings are Hydrasynth patch thru Lemondrop and Blackhole.

Main recipe :
OSC 1 : SINE ?
MUTANT 1 = FM from OSC2
OSC 2 : wavescan of Harmonics waveforms (last ones), only octaves and fithsā€¦
Will give more details if necessary in front of HS ?

5 Likes

itā€™s a bad translation of ā€˜ā€˜timberā€™ā€™, he translated ā€˜ā€˜stampā€™ā€™ into French ā€˜ā€˜timbreā€™ā€™ :wink: I hear a lot of expressiveness in this patch, is it modulation on the velocity, aftertouch etc or with the lfo, I like this velvety passage towards harmonic, like a wind instrument.

A macro for OSC2 wavescan essentially, played live. Definitely inspired by traverse flute, slow attack, noise.

1 Like

I like it a lot, Iā€™m going to look at this approach with velocity and aftertouch, I put sometimes seaboard on hydra for this type of sound, I also find that it sometimes enters into the territories of osmosis (in your example it gives the impression of a synthesis type feedback etc very organic, it looks like the distortion in the feedback delay etc) itā€™s great in any case!

1 Like

ASM will be at Synth East - Norwich coming up in less than two weeks. Feb 23-25

ADDED : Thread

Itā€™s a small show but big if you live nearby. A little surprising that ASM is there at all, the show is so small.
Not expecting anything new,

But Korg is at the same show, and so lots very newish there.

And for both ā€“ you never know.

->> Tickets are in short supply. <<-

7 Likes

Man I just picked up a Hydrasynth explorer and holy shit boys this little thing is an absolute monster of a synth, I literally canā€™t remember the last time I was this happy with a synth purchase other than modular, I think my virus TI polar is going to be collecting dust for a while.
I have to give props to ASM for finally figuring out the solution to non-knob laden synths. The signal flow method is brilliant. I actually enjoy programming it and Iā€™m able to explore ideas without getting hung up on menus or button combos etc also every single synth should have a dedicated Init. button what a glorious thing to have right on the front panel. It feels like a synth that was designed by people who actually love synths who expect their customers to want to actually program their synths which I very much appreciate.
I really canā€™t say enough good things about the hydrasynth I am throughly enjoying it spending hours getting lost in making sounds which is what itā€™s all about. I was considering upgrading to the four octave hydrasynth so I could enjoy that sweet ribbon controller and have tactile mod and pitch wheels (and also four more control knobs) but Iā€™m actually really enjoying the form factor of the explorer, taking it out of the studio and into the living room or in bed or wherever with a pair of headphones has been a lot of fun, having something this powerful that sounds this good in this size of a board is incredible.

13 Likes

Agree on all points. I love getting lost in the Hydrasynth and the Explorer in particular is such a great device.

When my power went out a couple weeks ago, I remembered that the Explorer could run on batteries and was ecstatic. Great way to pass some time with no lights or internet.

5 Likes

Very cool. This is so good to hear.

You probably already know this but for those that donā€™t.

You can do just partial Inits. When you press the Init button anything that lights up bright orange can be Inited individually.

Same goes for Randomization. Plus there are all the other ways to randomize.

9 Likes

TIL and thank you!

1 Like

I believe the were inspired just a little bit by Ensoniqs approachā€¦ that was my first thought when the Hydrasynth came outā€¦

10 Likes

Iā€™d choose TI2 if it was a gift. Btw I sold my TI for a Micromonsta 2 (I prefer its filters and workflow ! Take 2 and you get a Snow TI). I made a video with MM2 supersaws and someone commented it sounded like a JP-80x0ā€¦see below, it is also an example of Unison 2 keeping 6 voices poly (12 or 6x2)
https://youtu.be/bMG9py5JzdI?si=fuTCw4PlM9v5FViM

But now my favourite synth is Hydrasynth. Starting from scratch most of the timeā€¦
Iā€™d want an Explorer Deluxe with the 8 encoders, Mod In, decent PitchBend and ModWheelā€¦and bi-timbral ! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The value proposition for the JP8080 has gotten a lot worse in recent times, theyā€™re anywhere from Ā£1-2k and now Iā€™ve been disabused of the idea that itā€™s the only way Iā€™ll get the supersaws I like I can definitely see myself getting the hydrasynth.

And as it happens I travel a lot with work so Iā€™ve been wondering about a smaller synth that I could pair with my ST to take away with me. That micromonster looks perfect and sounds great. I could imagine itā€™s not quite as immediate as the hydra but itā€™s quite a slick workflow given to smaller footprint really.

Iā€™m going to have a look for one now, but do you know if theyā€™re easy to come by?

Thanks for the video link and info, I should ask stupid questions on here more often :joy:

Edit: Iā€™ve signed up to the waiting list on the audiothingies site. Have to see if thereā€™s any used for sale then

1 Like

but how do supersaws you like sound?

1 Like

or AN1x

just my first impression.

2 Likes

Well aside from the usual 90s trance answer (I pretty much love all of the popular 90s trance ie Carte Blanche, out of the blue, 1999 etc)

Two tracks that spring to mind that I really love

Quench - Dreams

Mega lo Mania - Close your eyes

(I hope these are actual examples of supersaws)

Edit: since earlier comments Iā€™ve sought out examples of hydrasynth supersaws on YouTube and I think it sounds great, I think I had created some imaginary limitation on anything that wasnā€™t a JP8080 because I misunderstood some comments about what made the synth unique (Iā€™m deeply novice in terms of sound production)

1 Like

The first one seems to be super saw, the other one Iā€™m not sure, might be rather saw pwm ā€¦ but Hydra can do both :wink:

3 Likes

Happy days. A desktop hyrdasynth is certainly on the cards then at this point, and maybe a cheeky micromonsta if I can get ahold of one.

Also thanks for confirming those, saw pwm isnā€™t too far off a supersaw so Iā€™ll take that!

2 Likes

Until then, you can have a lot of fun with Syntaktā€™s super saw (Swarm), btw. :wink: [Edit: in hindsight, that has more EBM vibes, the second one is bettah]

Or detune two of the six analog saws ā€¦

(or combine all of the analog saws, one for the sub - to filter them at the same time, midi loopback or external controller would be needed)

10 Likes

The latter is pretty much it. Iā€™ve raved to that tune a lot!

1 Like