Hydrasynth from ASM

Not true.

Go to page #2 of System Setup, and press button #8, where you can receive ( and send ) Scala files.

The thing about this is you have 32 microtonal scales, so you need to pick which 32 you have, but you can have any 32 you want.

This is a Hydrasynth after all.

you callin‘ me a liar, but i just suck at english grammar :wink: i‘ve edited my post.

2 Likes

check

:wink:

13 Likes

Ah-ha. My error then.

Your grammar is very good, and i now see i should have picked up on the contradiction. This might also be a regional English thing.

There had also been a different confusion upthread on the way microtonal scales work on the HS.

1 Like

Not only can it do that, you’ll usually need to be conservative in sound design to make it not do that because usually wild sounds are a random button press away.

2 Likes

back in the hydrasynth game!

6 Likes

I was trying to picture a game that i could play with my HS. I don’t think i’ve ever found an Easter egg, in the HS.

For sure, and the random option features can help that too. There’s so many ways to twist a normal sound into something odd.

1 Like

Unless they’ve changed it in v2, you can’t directly export Scala files into a Hydrasynth. You have to convert the .scl file into a .mts, which I then dumped into the HS out of Reaper. There used to be a microtonal web page that would do the conversion but it died last year and now it seems like you have to use a Python app, which is something about which I know nothing.

But unless you need to have a specific JI or similar tuning, you can use the Osc keyboard tracking to get you in the ballpark, so just as is at 50% you’re getting 24-ET quartertones and at 200% 6-ET.

1 Like

The interface is MIDI sysex.

I’m trying to send MIDI from Ableton through the Hydrasynth an into another synth. I thought that would be possible by simply sending the MIDI via USB to the HS and then run a default MIDI cable from the HS’ MIDI THRU into the second synth.

Well, it doesn’t work. What am I missing here?

That is common behaviour on most synths. Thru is hardwired to the din input. Usb is not included in that mix.

1 Like

Ah shit, it doesn’t translate? Too bad. Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Playing around with the Taiga, I wish Hydra would’ve just basic waveforms and a wavefolder. Astonishingly I hear all the Hydra’s Wavetables when I step through the waveforms and sweep the wavefolder, it’s just much more usable than editing that table of tables.
Of course, Taiga and Hydra are not competitiors. But a Wavefolder in the Hydra would be niiiiccceee.

7 Likes

I totally agree with you. I’ve seen a few of your previous posts about your usage of the HS, and I, too, usually only use the basic waveforms in my HS. I find the other wavetables a lackluster most of the time, although I from time to time blend in an odd waveform with the basic waveforms to get a little spice going.

1 Like

I like filling the Osc wavetable list via ‘Random’

1 Like

Anybody experienced stuck notes with arp ? (Hydrasynth Explorer standalone, no midi in)
It happens quite oftenly with me, have to turn off/on the arp.
(ClockLock On).

Edit : I can reproduce it easily pressing many notes.

Here’s a repetitive piece with the Hydrasynth and Arturia Mini V for bass. The Hydrasynth has some heavy distortion on it (internally), some Raum (reverb) and some added saturation in Ableton. The macro knobs are lovely for live tweaking.

6 Likes

Lovely stuff!

1 Like