Hydrasynth from ASM

OK, question is now…sell my A4 and get this or a Moog Matriarch…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I have decided to stick to my original plan and buy the DSI OB-6 module which is going to be fantastic :star_struck: So for now I’ll pass this one.
Looking forward to see what you guys will be doing with the Hydra :grinning:

3 Likes

Yeah booooiiii! :raised_hands:

1 Like

I’m guessing you’ll miss the A4’s sequencer, as this thing doesn’t have one.

Matriarch has a sequencer but can you live without presets?

I decided to pass on the Waldorf Quantum (for now) and get the Hydrasynth. I think it’s silly to compare two different synths, but the Hydrasynth should push a lot of the same buttons (at one third the price) for me. (I hope !?)

1 Like

Digitakt, Digitone, Peak will partner with the Matriarch. But i am not Sure If i wont miss the A4 Sound!

Funny I just have the Quantum since yesterday. Sampling and that I had the microWave for many years where the main reason. The Quantum is overwhelming and really a lifetime synth in my opinion.

2 Likes

I agree.

That’s why i’m only passing “for now” on the Quantum. :smiley:

It’s probably only a month now left for me to wait for the Hydrasynth. Likely it’s on some container ship on the Pacific ocean somewhere right now.

1 Like

Does Thomann UK count for this? I see they list availability as 2-5 days!

Beats hell out of my US distributor if this is true.

1 Like

oh no

It can’t be true! It can’t be!

Nick and Gaz are just yakking away about how much fun they had at Synthfest 2019.

Nick: Big hit of the show actually was the Hydrasynth.

I’ve got the video queued up to that point:

It’s just a couple minute watch or less.

To @Gaz – It’s Daniel Troberg! See here.

BTW: Thomann backed off on their availability promise, from 2-5 days to “we have no effing idea.”

4 Likes

I preordered.
One question, as I couldn’t find in the manual :
Can a macro be MIDI mapped ? More generally, any info on how it handles/respond to midi ?

1 Like

Best as i can make out Macros aren’t controllable by external MIDI. And Macros aren’t listed as destinations for the Mod-Matrix.

But as MIDI cc is a source for the Mod-Matrix, seems to me you can set up a connection directly in the Mod-Matrix and do the sort of thing you want to do anyways.

In fact the manual describes the Macros this way:
Each Macro is a combination of one of the Control knob / button pairs and a list of destinations, sort of like a private Mod Matrix.

But i’m just a manual reading rookie right now as well – so maybe i’m wrong.

ADDED: Oct 18th, There’s more to the story, of course – see the posts below. Seems like there’s a pattern here – there’s just more to the story with this synth.

This is the safe answer, but since we don’t have the midi implementation details yet, there is some hope that there are 8 dedicated CCs for the macro encoders, as I’m sure there will be dedicated CCs for other functions on the synth like cutoff etc.

2 Likes

very interesting synth. thinking of trading in my blofeld for this, as I like the UI way more on this (even thoug I have and use the monstrumfeld vst editor). sounds good to me too.

stimming just posted that he is reviewing this synth. I love his reviews, so cant wait to see that.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I sincerely hope you are wrong and that we will be able to control Macros with MIDI.

1 Like

all demos are basically pads pads pads paaaaaaaaaaaaaads… what about stuff like stabs, plucks and sorts? would really like to hear material with that

1 Like

@GDarcey Glen, any chance we could see the MIDI-spec of this thing?

1 Like

We would have to write it up first… We do plan on publishing the full MIDI spec with all the NRPN controls at some point. Basically NRPN’s can control most parts of the engine…and the Macros do send and receive NRPN messages. As long as your DAW can record and send NRPN’s, you can automate most things. I have done this in Logic a number of times. Just trying to get through production right now so it will be a bit before we have a full MIDI spec to publish.

5 Likes