Hydrasynth from ASM

I had a wonderful time playing the Hydrasynth Explorer at Elevator Sound today. It truly did feel like exploring sound. The effects are so nice.

4 Likes

Exactly the same for me. The filter and drive are magnificent (and that was just whatever was loaded on the Vangelis like patch I was trying, so there are other models too) and the Cloud Reverb was absolutely delicious. Thatā€™s why itā€™s gonna be my next synth for sure!

2 Likes

Up.
Technically possible to handle 2 midi channels?

Ah, fellow Bristolians! Nice.

1 Like

How does the Hydrasynth fare as an FM synth compared to the Digitone? Iā€™m pretty much a noob when it comes to FM but I understand the concept of carriers and operators, and I know that the DN has 4 operators and a bunch of different algorithms.

In comparison, Iā€™m assuming the Hydrasynth is comparable to a 2-operator FM synth. But then again it has so many other modes like wavetable synthesis, PWM and other great things that Iā€™m assuming could approximate some of the additional timbres from those missing operators and algorithms.

Basically Iā€™m wondering, can the Hydrasynth replicate just about any sound made on the DN, or are there certain more complex FM timbres that simply cannot be made unless you have a ā€œproperā€ FM synth?

To me, I wonder why you ask the question. Go with the one that you like the sound of the most and want to explore. Hydrasynth is wavetable/VA synth at heart with some optional extras like FM and ring modulation etc. Digitone is FM (well, actually PM). Which approach and sound you prefer is down to taste. But I donā€™t get the can this sound like that question. Get the one that most appeals to you.

1 Like

The Hydra can go fairly deep into FM territory, but if that is what you truly want, Iā€™d go OpSix, Digitone, or Yamaha. (Or software)

(Or modular, butā€¦)

If you want an amazing digital synth that does everything it does extremely well, but maybe not the deepest into any one direction, the Hydra is your synth.

It can do so much, and sound absolutely gorgeous doing it, but itā€™s not a DX, itā€™s not an Analog, and itā€™s not quite as deep into wavetables as a Waldorf. It does plenty of all of these types of sounds, and does them well. Just not to the extents that a dedicated synth of each type might.

However, it is a lot more flexible in all those in between spaces, to where it becomes very much its own synth.

Itā€™s like having a curated modular in a flexible non-modular synth thatā€™s easy to work on.

2 Likes

I should have been clearer. I own the Hydrasynth already and love it. I used to own the DN but sold it a year ago. Somehow I still listen to jams of the DN and wonder if those sounds could be replicated on the Hydra. Hence the question. Trying to figure out if I just need to learn how to design sounds that approach the DN FM vibes, or if thereā€™s something about the DN sound that the Hydra could probably never approach.

What is PM?

2 Likes

In that case, yes, you could replicate a decent percentage of those tones, but the approach is going to be a bit different.

The Digitone helps you create FM tones that make sense ā€œmusicallyā€ while youā€™ll need to dial in and discover those sweet zones by hand on the Hydra. It still wonā€™t be 1:1, but you can cover a lot of that ground with some effort.

1 Like

Chord Mode

I just read this in the manual "The chord is not transmitted over USB or MIDI.
A slaved device will only receive the played note.

But some one posted in the HYDRASYNTH thread on gearspace ā€œI just tried the CHORD function on the Keyboard version and can confirm that ALL of the notes of the CHORD are transmitted each time you hit a single key.ā€

Can someone confirm this works on the Explorer Keyboard over midi or usb as im willing to buy one if it does have this feature

Thanks

To me, I wonder why you wonder why he asked the question. Seems like a great question, and I enjoy the replyā€™s to it.

I wonder if people are losing focus as a forum?

The keyless unit is looking more tempting every day. Might be an ASM Xmas.

1 Like

I wonder why I ask the question again, but for me it still not clear if external midi notes can trigger CV/GATE output, or if itā€™s with the keyboard or pads only.

In Mod Matrix, apparently no midi note source, only CCsā€¦
And Mod1 and Mod2 outputs as destination only.

Yes, but not on a separate channel.
Pitch CV and gate will respond to the local keys/pads and MIDI In.

2 Likes

Ok thanks to confirm ! Stated in the manual somewhere ?

I wonder if MOD 1 and 2 can be used as CV/GATE, as a kind of hack with CCs instead of notesā€¦

CV should be ok, but GATE ?

Not explicitly it seems.
But it definitely does on the KB and certainly the other models too.

Sure, why not?
Canā€™t say if Mods will scale nicely over CC as a pitch CV, but worth a try.

Still unconvinced, hey?
Or waiting for the price to go up? :rofl:

1 Like

Convinced, but I didnā€™t sell enough things to fund it ! :wink:

1 Like

Believe the manual.

1 Like

Finally jumped in, should be on the way soon. Iā€™m going for the Explorer - I seem to like things with their own keys and the battery capability is part of the appeal. Plan on toting it to the local cafe once I figure out if itā€™s a keeper.

3 Likes

Nice! If all goes to plan and my move from UK to France goes according to plan over the weekend, I will be ordering the Explorer from Thomann on Monday (I miss Thomann!). Can. Not. Wait!

7 Likes