Hydrasynth from ASM

If I had a decent keyboard I might go for the desktop because those CV inputs that can be used for audio make me breathe a deep, satisfied sigh of being understood. But 37 is the magic number, being able to actually make sounds that suit outdoor moods with a portable synth is brilliant, and, yeah, the price is right.

2 Likes

Yep battery powered is a huge plus for me, being able to doodle on my bed before sleep.

Letā€™s see if the desktop drops in price though. Itā€™s odd that itā€™s $200 extra for more knobs and minus a keyboard.

Of course the better option would be to just get Serum or Phase Plant or use the stock Ableton Wavetable synth because that thing is goodā€¦

Plus the LEDS, fancier buttons, bigger screen, full metal enclosure.

8 Likes

And the HSD pads and pad modes are fantastic, at least from a mostly non-keys playerā€™s perspective.

Also, being able to manipulate 8 module params at one time while programming makes most standard things knob per function with the click of a button. Not a game changer considering the price, but there will be a decent amount more menu diving on the HSX for people who always start from INIT

2 Likes

Envelopes, if it were me. If it were possible to copy macros (or pick from a stored macro library) mine would feature envelopes quite heavily. However, setting up macros is a chore I never quite get round to in my own patches.

a macro library seems like something that would be right up asmā€™s alley, have you made that a feature request?

I mentioned it yonks back when I first reviewed it. Itā€™s not a big issue for me as I donā€™t use my Hydra too often these days - and when I do, it tends to be a case of hitting Random until it does something freaky enough to record. Now Iā€™m old, I like simpler, more direct synths for my daily pleasures.

3 Likes

This is why my favourite is the MicroFreak!

1 Like

great idea never-the less

Iā€™m currently in love with the Udo Super 6 and Roland System 8. I feel a strange urge to buy any synth with a ā€˜7ā€™ in its name to sit between them.

1 Like

Iā€™m full of great ideas. Over the years, a handful of companies have listened to them. :wink:

1 Like

In a typical patch that Iā€™m creating, Iā€™ll almost always have the bottom row of macros set up to manage fx wet/dryā€™s, simply to bring them to a performance level so I can adjust the fx to sit in the mix while Iā€™m playing/tracking. Occasionally Iā€™ll group the Delay/Reverb wet/dryā€™s under a single macro so theyā€™re easy to turn off (the Control Button is king here) if Iā€™m planning to use different (vst) reverbs in my actual track (as in I design the patch with internal R/D to get an idea of what I want it to sound like, but know that I want to use a plugin that offers something else).

On the top row I will generally create more transitional/morphing style combo macros, or things that get me to sweet spots. Usually Iā€™ll create one that does a combined filter cut-off and res adjustment that takes me to a pre-determined spot. Another that does some sort of destabilization (maybe messing with tuning, or wavestack depths). A macro that controls a few Mutator functions, and one that adjusts wave scanning. Basically I want to be able to crank them all and have a different but related patch, with lots of interesting things between the min/max settings.

If Iā€™m creating a pluck or arp, I usually create a humanizer that send LFOā€™s to Env2ā€™s Attack/Decay in the mod matrix with depth at zero, then a macro that micro-adjusts the MM lfo depths.

Nothing here is set in stone, I seem to find new uses for the macros all the time based on what kind of sound Iā€™m creating, or how I want a sound to progress over time

7 Likes

Great ideas here braken ! I will try splitting the Macros the way you suggest, and see how i like that.

Nothing is set in stone with Macros for sure, i find i am mucking with them often.

Your idea would work well with the Explorer ( i will abbrev with HSX ), with one page of Macros just the Effects Wet/Dry, and the other page the more patch specific controls.

1 Like

I stole the idea from the presets! Sometimes they split them as L/R columns, others are T/B rows, but the idea is the same.

I forgot two other concepts that I use fairly frequently.
If I want to adjust filter drive or distortion (in fx) over time, but I donā€™t want the volume boost, or I want less boost. In those cases Iā€™ll create a macro that increases drive, but also decreases the patch volume. Itā€™s a bit tricky to get right, but can be super useful in keeping levels in check.
Another ā€˜destabiliserā€™ style trick plays on the LFOs modulating LFOs concept. You set it up by sending LFOā€™s to other LFO rates w/Depth at zero in the MM, then create a Macro that adjusts those MM depths to you liking. Iā€™m still playing with ways to use this one, but Iā€™ve found that you can generate some pretty insane rhythmic modulations (aka chaos) depending on what you have those LFOā€™s pointed at, and how you fine tune the macros to modify each others depths.

edit: dammit, I keep mixing this thread up with the tips and tricks thread!

2 Likes

It seems itā€™s ONE THREAD for everything.

Good idea to balance out the overdrive volume increases.

ADDED: Tips and Tricks Thread.

Things to put on your Deluxe Shelf:

So iā€™m thinking with the dual stereo outputs in MultiMode, something nice to put on ā€œThe Shelfā€ would be a dual stereo ( or more ) to 3-D ( quadraphonic ) processor of some sort. There are a few of them, that can move sound around in 3-D space. Then you could integrate control from either CV or MIDI CC coming from the HS Deluxe, and create quadraphonic patches on the Hydrasynth.

For more on 3-D immersive sound technology see this thread:

Anything else that makes sense on the Deluxe Shelf ? How would you use that with the HS Deluxe ?

1 Like

what the heck, the mutator is a randomizer right, you can actually set the macros to the randomizer???

I know earlier I think Jukka said something about the macros being save with a patch, but if you want them to be used globally can you do that, or would that be basically just creating a template patch?

Template patches are something i use. The ā€œInitā€ patch if you look at it is pretty often a strange place to start.

Mutators are additional ways to change the oscillator operation. The basic mutators are:

• FM-Lin
  • WavStack
  • OSC Sync
  • PW-Orig
  • PW-Sqeez
  • PW-ASM
  • Harmonic
  • PhazDiff

Look up in the manual for detail. There is all kinds of variety here.

ADDED: There are two Mutators with both Oscillator 1 and 2, so four Mutators total per patch, mix and match any of the above.

3 Likes

I use the macroā€™s in pretty much the exact same way :slight_smile:

1 Like

requested LEDs button color change option on existing Hydrasā€¦
got a responseā€¦no can do, they donā€™t have multi color LEDs :sob:

1 Like