Hydrasynth from ASM - Tips, Tricks and Queries

I don’t know if it’s exactly what you’re looking for, but sending a small amount (like a depth of 2 or less) of a Noise LFO at Wave Scan can rough up the edges of the waveforms and make the interpolation sound a bit alias-y. Noise as a Mutator source can also be handy

3 Likes

You can use the PW orig mutator with a ratio of 12 and full depth and 100% wet to reduce the bit depth of a waveform to 12 bit or ratio of 8 to reduce to 8 bit. Etc

2 Likes

Please help me. I’m trying to send notes from my HSD pads into my Octatrack to record what I play onto the OT sequencer with both devices on channel 10 and both devices set to send and receive notes. So far, I can only record notes on the OT’s sequencer via the OT keyboard in the OT’s Chromatic Mode. I am able, though, to record the HSD’s knob movements on the sequencer after I’ve set up the proper cc’s on that track. This proves to me that I have the midi cables sorted properly. Someone tried a factory reset earlier in this chat to success but that cannot be the only solution. Thanks to anyone who can help

Hey Dicky, are you using a Midi Merge device between the HSD midi out and the OT midi in? If so, try eliminating that device and see how that works for ya and get back to me ASAP because I care about your dilemma here.

Thanks, Dicky11. It works now but I still want to use that midi merge device as I hope to send notes from various synthesizers. Is my midi merge broken? I just got it. What a bummer if that’s the case. Cheers, mate.

With MPE on the Hydrasynth, there are three messages sent in an MPE channel : Note-ON, Channel Aftertouch, and Note-OFF. In the case of the Explorer and the Deluxe the Note-OFF can have a Non-Zero velocity value, the HSK and the HSD are in channel but both have a value of Zero. This is a hardware limitation.

( I do not own a Explorer or Deluxe — poor me — so i have not tested the MPE note-OFF velocity feature on those two, so anyone who’s tested this, please correct me ! )

Other MPE controllers may have more parameters that are passed in the MPE channel than with the Hydrasynths. That’s part of the trade offs you must evaluate when deciding between your options.

If you want to use the Channel Aftertouch, or Note-OFF in channel MPE messages for other functions you map those controls in your MPE synth or software.

For more options for MPE controllers see this list.

2 Likes

Ive been struggling with this over the weekend. Im at the point where I can do immediate bank / Program changes from the syntakt through the octa to the hydra, meaning I can use the octa arp at the same time if I want to… still a few things to iron out…

I was asking about what filter (1) to choose for 303ish sound.

Interesting results indeed.

In fact was planning to use both filters, F2 as hi pass, Keytrack 100%, and increasing its frequency with a macro also controlling resonance (less lower frequencies increasing resonance).

The whole thing with using the filters in parallel, and then modulating the mixer, and on the fly changing how much of each of the five sources ( six really if you own something other than the Explorer, because you can use an external source input ) goes to which filter, and how they’re all panned, while at the same time modifying all the parameters in each of the filters, while modulating all the rest of the things you can modify on the fly. It just leaves me amazed to listen to, almost three years later

I guess you’re talking about Filter Routing…

Thanks to have pointed this out, it helped me to understand Patch E018 (Alpine Split), kind of fake multimbral split.

Mod Matrix Keytrack split for Osc1 and Osc2 wavescan, and different Filter Routing for each.

No OLED screen saver without Lite Show ? Better to keep it anyway ?

(Lite Show can be interesting for Christmas, though, placing your HS in the tree :christmas_tree:)

2 Likes

Yeah, but also any of the 15 mixer parameters. ADDED : You can also adjust these fifteen via the Macros. Often when i think of a mixer i think of a basic mixer, this mixer is more of an automated mixing board. Much more complicated. I first learned about this in a very early video from Daniel Fisher of Sweetwater, where he went through it in detail.

2 Likes

You can adjust the time delay to go to Xmas, and you can turn it off, but no way to just make the LEDs go dark that i know of. System setup of course.

1 Like

Oops. Xmas is in 30 min max !
Ok, so no screen saver without annoying lights, feature request then…

Sure. But as you were talking about parallel filters, the Filter Routing particularly make sense with that state. IIRC there is similar filter routing on Blofeld.

Filter routing in series works too. You can’t change the filter order though. IIRC.

1 Like

Does filter routing work off of poly-aftertouch ? I can’t test it at the moment, but recall being surprised how far down the chain a note specific parameter carries.

It does.

2 Likes

Yep, just checked, all 15 Mixer Dest available in Mod Matrix.

Map a CC to HS E keys.
I found this solution, are there are better ones not loosing a macro ?

Macro 1 (set to 60 in Home page)

Mod Matrix 1

Result : playing keyboard send CC34 from value 0 to 120.
You can adjust Macro 1 for offsets.
I used this to play Octatrack Comb Filters with HS E.

1 Like

Huh, I just got sucked into the rabbit hole of trying to figure out the Mod Matrix in Alpine Split.

I also learned that when you open the mixer screen on a preset and everything’s zeroed, that’s because the Poly Aftertouch is controlling the mixer volumes.

I’ve ended up with this pitch/lfo mod in hitting the delay time for a tape wobble effect that plays well with flipping the delay macro from min to max.

1 Like