Hydrasynth from ASM

I like filling the Osc wavetable list via ‘Random’

1 Like

Anybody experienced stuck notes with arp ? (Hydrasynth Explorer standalone, no midi in)
It happens quite oftenly with me, have to turn off/on the arp.
(ClockLock On).

Edit : I can reproduce it easily pressing many notes.

Here’s a repetitive piece with the Hydrasynth and Arturia Mini V for bass. The Hydrasynth has some heavy distortion on it (internally), some Raum (reverb) and some added saturation in Ableton. The macro knobs are lovely for live tweaking.

6 Likes

Lovely stuff!

1 Like

You can get a nearly identical folder type of sweep running a sine/triangle with low ratio 2 op linear FM. It won’t do everything a wave folder will, but you can get the same type of sound. You probably already know that though. :wink:

1 Like

It might be fun to try to stump the ASM rep. Come armed with your most difficult question. ( BTW : I bet you can’t do it ! )

I wonder if they’re giving away four Explorers or just one ?

2 Likes

Me wildly speculating. ( post )

3 Likes

3x symphonic Hydrasynth in this radio art, recorded via multitracking (I own just one Hydra :wink: ).

15 Likes

Supercool. Just sell some stuff and get a second HS, for performative simplicity!

On a symphonic note, about 4’40 in I was suddenly reminded of a Hans Werner Henze symphony which I absolutely love though everything else I’ve heard by him I’ve been ho-hum about: https://youtu.be/lFAoh83_8xQ?si=rLoOKG3eqS_O-SnW

2 Likes

Amazing! You made it sound acoustic. I want one too now. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

thxxxxxxxxxx!!!

@muied_lumens That was my goal, sounding acoustic, but not resembling specific real-world instruments :slight_smile:

@svenkarma I also have the Opsix, and an Anyma Omega is on the way - this will have me covered :smiley: I like the comparison, my favourite Henze piece is actually his 7th symphony. I’ll give the 4th another spin, I don’t have it on my radar. I’m a composer myself, if you like to check it out … https://www.youtube.com/@JeanneArtemis/featured :wink:

8 Likes

That is some seriously great stuff. Woah…
you got a new fan …
all the best

1 Like

Ah now that makes sense to me, personally, it made me think of Einstürzende Neubauten, minus the yelling, on the Heat movie soundtrack. :+1:

1 Like

Almost the same, wavefolding can be written as a special case of fm where the carrier frequency is 0 but the hydra can’t get that low (yet?)

1 Like

Yes, there may be some limitations with the current implementation. However, you can get REALLY close. You can get those growls etc. They end up being a bit more smooth due to not having the same minor non-linearities of most wavefolding circuits, but defintely close enough for the general sound.

Ya waveshaping/folding is something I’d love to see in an update. It’s an easy implementation to piggy back on phase modulation and you could really take advantage of all the different wave shapes

You can mimic the non linearities by using something other than a triangle as the carrier

Just stuck these in another thread but seemed appropriate here…

Couple of live performances with Hydrasynth and Elektron boxes

1 Like
2 Likes

I have a question for all of y’all that have a Hydrasynth. Are there good ways to do audio rate modulation of the filter? I am thinking using an oscillator as a modulator, or a polyphonic LFO that tracks the keyboard pitch. generally I am interested in doing audio rate modulation and the Hydra seems very good at that. I also want to do feedback patching, like taking the output of the filter and using it to modulate some aspect of the voice (like filter cutoff, a trick I use all the time on monosynths), but I don’t think that is possible on the Hydrasynth. If I am wrong please let me know.

There’s no audio rate modulation of the filter to my knowledge.

You can take the input audio from the CVs and plug them into some of the mutants and the XMod section. Those do audio rate processing.

Once you get stuff doing modulation in the matrix though it’s not audio rate from my understanding.