Hydrasynth from ASM

Yes.

1. Roland HPD-20 (had HPD-15)
1 Like

After doing a simple test the way it’s set up actually makes most sense as plus or minus 10 in the mod matrix equals a semi tone, so an octave modulation should be +/- 120 and not 128. I guess the extra 8 gives you a bit more leeway for detuning from a perfect octave. Having said that it would still be nice if the matrix went up by more than +/- one octave, but duplicating in the mod matrix is all that’s needed I guess.

i might add that there are 2 versions of the padkontrol, the older(beige) one seems to be loved, the newer(black) one not so much. looks like they changed something in between versions.

yep, I always thought of it as cream though… never had the black one… but the pads of the cream version were so good , I can still feel them

Knobcon 7 ( 2019 ) ASM announces Hydrasynth Keys and Hydrasynth Desktop

Knobcon 9 ( 2021 ) ASM announces Hydrasynth Explorer and Hydrasynth Deluxe

Knobcon 10 ( 2022 ) — Less than a week to go !

6 Likes

Loving the Hydrasynth Explorer! Best form factor for me, same excellent sound engine with great mini-keys and polyphonic aftertouch!

4 Likes

I’m still very interested in. I thought about Desktop for audio in, but finally it doesn’t seem that interesting (having OT and Zoia, I can do certains things).
Not convinced by this video but if someone have a more convincing example…

More for making sounds than processing sounds.

Can anyone who has or has had both the Keys (or Deluxe) AND the Explorer chime in on whether the change in screen/knobs to the explorer affects your experience of the workflow/UI?

One of the main reasons i’m interested in the hydra is for the UI. The explorer is a lot cheaper and a lot more space friendly than the Keys, but fewer knobs means more paging up/down, which is one of my main gripes with the Peak;) I would be interested in the desktop, but I do want the poly AT keys, whether full sized or mini…

So yeah - how would you rate the workflow downgrade when going from the full sized to the Explorer?

Some answers…

Also available for audio input is the FM Mutant source. Glen only uses the Ring Mode input in the video.

1 Like

Thanks! Will give these a (re)watch. Though I am still interested additionally in personal experience from non synthfluencers too…

1 Like

Sure. But as I was watching Sonic Lab’s review with UI talking just before your post…

1 Like

Ultimately I kept the Explorer on account of its portability, but the workflow downgrade is significant.

I wish they would have preserved the 8-button 8-knob Master Control section, but apparently ASM felt they needed front panel arp controls. To each his/her own.

3 Likes

I don’t have one of the big Hydras, but having the Explorer and the Peak I can tell you they’re night and day from the UI perspective.

I really hate the menu/function buttons layout on the Peak. Those 3 button for selecting row are just plain stupid to me. And also that patch encoder… I have to always think twice everytime, just to be sure to have grabbed the right… Right knob, before trashing hours of patch modifications.

The Hydra in that regard is in another league. I didn’t even opened the manual once and stll I can find everything that came to mind in seconds. It’s like an opened book in front of you, with everything so logically laid out, that’s impossible to turn the wrong encoder or wasting time looking for a setting buried somewhere.

Sure, 8 encoders and 8 displays would have been better, but I can’t really blame ASM for having shrunk down that stuff, cause it’s actually a non issue, to me at least.
it’s literally just one more (dedicated) button press to scroll to another 4 parameters set on the screen.

I don’t have the space for the big keyboard, if you do, go with that, but if you end up buying the explorer I can’t see how that lack could be a major letdown in the realworld usage.

5 Likes
Off topic/Peak

You need to update your Peak. They fixed the knob fuck up.

2 Likes

I also wish it had a sequencer, any version. I’ve had every model but the deluxe…incredible synth.

I wonder if they could add a sequencer…

Off topic/Peak

I’m on the very last firmware, updated two days ago.
There’s a different behavior of the patch encoder? I may have missed that one I guess

Off topic/Peak

In very early firmware versions the menu structure was even worse on the Peak. I think that’s what he/she means