Hydrasynth from ASM

Also available for audio input is the FM Mutant source. Glen only uses the Ring Mode input in the video.

1 Like

Thanks! Will give these a (re)watch. Though I am still interested additionally in personal experience from non synthfluencers tooā€¦

1 Like

Sure. But as I was watching Sonic Labā€™s review with UI talking just before your postā€¦

1 Like

Ultimately I kept the Explorer on account of its portability, but the workflow downgrade is significant.

I wish they would have preserved the 8-button 8-knob Master Control section, but apparently ASM felt they needed front panel arp controls. To each his/her own.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have one of the big Hydras, but having the Explorer and the Peak I can tell you theyā€™re night and day from the UI perspective.

I really hate the menu/function buttons layout on the Peak. Those 3 button for selecting row are just plain stupid to me. And also that patch encoderā€¦ I have to always think twice everytime, just to be sure to have grabbed the rightā€¦ Right knob, before trashing hours of patch modifications.

The Hydra in that regard is in another league. I didnā€™t even opened the manual once and stll I can find everything that came to mind in seconds. Itā€™s like an opened book in front of you, with everything so logically laid out, thatā€™s impossible to turn the wrong encoder or wasting time looking for a setting buried somewhere.

Sure, 8 encoders and 8 displays would have been better, but I canā€™t really blame ASM for having shrunk down that stuff, cause itā€™s actually a non issue, to me at least.
itā€™s literally just one more (dedicated) button press to scroll to another 4 parameters set on the screen.

I donā€™t have the space for the big keyboard, if you do, go with that, but if you end up buying the explorer I canā€™t see how that lack could be a major letdown in the realworld usage.

5 Likes
Off topic/Peak

You need to update your Peak. They fixed the knob fuck up.

2 Likes

I also wish it had a sequencer, any version. Iā€™ve had every model but the deluxeā€¦incredible synth.

I wonder if they could add a sequencerā€¦

Off topic/Peak

Iā€™m on the very last firmware, updated two days ago.
Thereā€™s a different behavior of the patch encoder? I may have missed that one I guess

Off topic/Peak

In very early firmware versions the menu structure was even worse on the Peak. I think thatā€™s what he/she means

Off topic/Peak

and @mprinsen

There is a setting to save current patch before applying new patch. Patch Protection.

https://youtu.be/j0w0GgbaGts

1:35

manuals are good. reading release notes, good.

1 Like

@LyingDalai OR could be moved to Peak thread?
covering helpful information is pointless. most of the time stuff gets moved. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

if you chose to do soā€¦you can delete this as well
odd to cover up as well as that was the end of it. not going to go anywhere else

Every time I see a load of unread posts in this thread, I get excited hoping it means thereā€™s a new FW updateā€¦I get here, and itā€™s a bunch of posts about Peakā€¦WTF?

5 Likes

Me too!

The Hydra is pretty much flawless as far as just its operation, so I donā€™t EXPECT them to release a huge functional update like Elektron for example, but it sure would be nice! :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™d love a hydrasynth but Iā€™d like a smaller desktop. No pads, maybe make some (minor!) efficiency changes to the spacing and sizes and Iā€™d be all over that, as long as it didnā€™t feel cramped.

I think I might need a small change to how the screens are used though.

Basically I want a hydrasynth in a DN box.

(not that thereā€™s anything wrong with the current form factors, this could be like a desktop-mini)

1 Like

Yep, Iā€™d have bought a Hydrasynth Desktop in a heartbeat, if it werenā€™t for those pads. I just donā€™t get them. Theyā€™re underused as a hardware feature, and make the module so much larger than it needs to be.

I bought an Argon8M instead. Its form-factor is what I would expect a desktop/module version of a synth to be. But I wanted a Hydrasynth.

Cheers!

1 Like

It should be called Hydrasynth Pads.

1 Like

:joy: :clap:

I love the pads! I do have a K37 that can also play the HSD, but I far prefer using the pads. Admittedly, I am a terrible keys player

2 Likes

There are some quirks though:

• vibrato amount at lowest setting is still too high to my taste (and Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one)
  • Glide/portamento time is constant rate, which is weird. I hope they will add a constant time glide mode, which is way more musical
  • The dedicated LFO to Filter amount knob seems to jitter on some units (including mine: I even returned it a couple of times and all new units had the same probemā€¦ now I just keep the knob at 12 o clock, which sucks)

Also, the reverb and delay algorithms can be improved: adding a (pitch) modulation depth and rate control would make a huge difference for both. You can modulate the delay time which is similar, but it is stepped and not smooth enough.

I can probably think of some more things, but these are the most important to me.

1 Like

I posted this image a long time ago and had to edit the post to say ā€œThis is imaginary!ā€, because people thought it was real.

13 Likes