Hydrasynth from ASM

Good to know. I wonder what magic they used to do it!!

I was planning on replacing my Wavestate for a Tastychips GR-1 for sound design duties, but now I’m seriously considering a Hydrasynth Desktop…

1 Like

I found a resolution, thanks!

1 Like

I’d be interested in Hydrasynth Explorer for it’s audio engine of course, but also as a midi controller. Its 554mm width matches perfectly OT+ST width (555mm). I’d also be interested in Keystep 37 (550mm).

As midi controller, the arp being synced to the beat from external clock/transport from OT or ST is important to me. It works on my Korg Taktile 49.

Can anybody confirm that HS Explorer can send synced arp midi notes from OT or ST clock/transport ? (Not only tempo, notes perfectly in time when playing the keyboard with arp)
(Same question for KS37)

@Tchu sorry I didn’t precised synced arp ! Edit : yes, quanfized to the beat. :wink:
Works with my Taktile 49 midi keyboard.

Two is the new one!

I didn’t know this. At the beginning of July ASM extended their warranty to two years, retroactively.

Some retailers on their own had longer warranties. But now it’s for everyone. They say their return and failure information was good enough that it was time to extend the warranty.

Link to the announcement.

13 Likes

I was in the same situation, a little talk about that in this topic Synth as master keyboard. Suggestions?

Yesterday I sold my wavestate and ordered the Explorer. I was on the fence because I don’t gel too much with wavetable stuff usually, but the extremely well thought UI and the midi controller possibilities definitely sold me to it.

I hope it’ll pair well with my Peak and Micromonsta2 to explore (pun intended) their aftertouch possibilities.

Nice video here on the subject of midi controller capabilities

2 Likes

There is so much range with everything else on the HS, you can just ignore the full blown wavetable changes and still have a great synth. I posted fairly recently about using the wavetable feature but with just small changes in wavetable position, to modulate the oscillator, and add whatever Mutator you want to apply. Then it’s a synth with oscillators that does cool things and makes interesting sounds.

Never be afraid to use the HS simply.

7 Likes

Yep, I saw in a bunch of videos that you can actually use it as something like a VA.

Speaking of which, and to respond to @tdmusic

https://youtu.be/R1q1vHPby9Q

In another topic, @Tchu told me Keystep 37 was quantized to the beat while receiving clock, but it wasn’t working properly with its Hydrasynth Desktop.
I’d really like to have Hydrasynth Explorer sound engine of course, but for me having a beat quantized arp is a game changer…
Confirmed ?

1 Like

awesome, cuz that’s the only way I know! :rofl:

1 Like

Definitely quantized to the clock on the Hydra KB.
I would expect it to be the same for all models.

But I know what you mean, some synths offset the quantization to note-on events. I guess it’s a performance thing (i.e. when playing with a drummer, to an unsynced drum machine etc.) So the tempo remains locked but the events get aligned to your key strokes. Argon8 used to do this if I remember correctly.

Go for it dude, you’ll love it.
It’s an insane synth to pair with the Octa.

2 Likes

Ok so it’s not quantized to the beat…(on my Taktile 49 I can disable key sync). I’ll see…

I’ll record something today and post it.

Just noticed in the (KB/DR) manual, there is an option in Arp parameters page 2 (mind you, seems to be patch-specific, not a global setting!)

ClkLock
This locks the arpeggiator phase to the system
clock so it will sync to other clocked elements
such as an LFO with BPM Sync set to On.
Here’s something else you might notice: With
ClkLock set to Off and the Hydrasynth as the
master clock source, the arpeggio starts when
the first note is played. With ClkLock set to
On, the arpeggio starts at the next quantized
value after the first note is played. In this case
you might experience a slight delay between
triggering a note and the onset of the
arpeggio.

Without Tempo Lock :

With Tempo Lock :

I did the tests with HS receiving the Clock from DT. HS is using its Arp to trig the Moog Sirin.

Edit: Nevermind, just wasting time it seems.
It works just fine for me. But that is on the OG Keyboard, not the Explorer, not the Desktop. So who knows…

2 Likes

The arpeggiator is synced to incoming clock, as long as the clock source is selected properly. If that’s not what’s being asked here apologies. (I’m at work, so I couldn’t go through the last few posts closely.)

1 Like

Thanks @Tchu and @trackerjack.
So it can be quantized to the beat !
Hard to tell from your recordings…:wink:

Yep normal if it waits next quantized step…

GAS…

2 Likes

You’re not hearing the offsets?

Not clearly. Would be more clear with a quarter note imho. Triplets warp my head…