Hydrasynth from ASM

Looking to get a Hydrasynth, and I am about 95% sold on the desktop model. This is mostly because I do not really have the space to put the keys version close to my Eurorack, so that I can integrate the two (though I do have space on my synth rack, and could make it work if I “had” to).

What I am wondering is if there is anything I couldn’t do with a ribbon controller such as the Eowave or Doepfer A-198, that the built in ribbon on the keys version provides?

Edit: It appears that the MPE/PolyAT is present on the desktop model as well, and I dont need the chord mode or the extra controls, which I think are the only other differences between the two models.

just curious anyone know why they omitted the chord feature on the desktop, I’d have thought it was needed there more than on the keyboard version?

1 Like

Yep. Chord feature is why I got the keys. Limited space be damned.

3 Likes

I don’t know. The thing about a grid is with many layouts a chord becomes a shape that you can move around without change. In practice this is a challenge to do, and besides the HSD grid is to small for this to work well.

I use the chord function, in combination with scale and key frequently on the HSK.

The guitar layouts are nice on the HSD, for those that think guitar.

2 Likes

not to suggest anything, but perfect circuit has a demo keys for $1099 and desktop for $715 right now.

2 Likes

This was discussed before:

The answer continues some down that thread. Does that answer your questions ?

The short answer to your question is: Yes.

My only complaint about the HS is lack of sequencer. Elektron has really spoiled me in this way. Using OT midi sequencer is fun and all, but an onboard Digitone style sequencer would be preferred. Considering swapping it for Digitone Keys. But going to dig in deeper with OT and Ableton sequencing it before I decide. And I don’t use wavetables much. I would miss the various filter modes, though.

Interesting the similarities. 8 voices, menu parameters + dedicated encoders, various fx processors.

We’ll see what influence Daniel Troberg brings to ASM’s secret project.

2 Likes

but you have elektrons…use the seqs in the HS. werks great!

1 Like

Yes it does, thank you very much for the link. I ended up ordering a keys version once I found this out. I can make it fit into my setup, will just need to move some things around, which I needed to do anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I picked a keys one up from them :slight_smile: should be here sometime next week, looking forward to it, and as AdamJay said, space be damned lol.

3 Likes

One of the things i like about the ribbon on the HSK graciousgrendel, is that it sits directly above and matches up with the keyboard, so you know where the heck you are. ( You can also set the ribbon to be either more or less dense too. )

There is a ribbon on the Arturia PolyBrute too, but look at it. It doesn’t match with the keyboard as nicely.

Enjoy your Hydrasynth.

3 Likes

Hydrasynth has the powerful 64 steps lfo that could be modulated by any envelopes or lfos and it could be used as a sequencer. Besides that, the 32 steps arpeggiator has chance and ratcheting parameters that allow audio rate modulation through mod in. There aren’t parameter locks like Elektron box. But the lfo and arpeggiator are flexible enough for experimental generative music.

3 Likes

It was nice when they added the note selection mode to the step sequencer. Plus you have up to 5 LFOs.

Yea. I’m aware of all of that. But thanks for the reminder. Still giving it a go. If anything the thoughts of swapping make for a good thought exercise.

Have only made one track with Hydrasynth. With a few more under my belt, and a new workflow, I could probably see the light a bit more. Wish I had room for both HSK and DK.

2 Likes

:thinking:

sounds like you might need to “build up,” like in dense urban cities.

Wish I could, but I cannot.

Urban sprawl works for me. I go room to room. Even stuff i don’t use much i try to keep hooked up somewhere, for ideas.

Fun analogy rockpapergoat.

1 Like

Ya that’s a sweet feature. Is there any way to put in rests/gaps? I don’t know the proper terminology.

I haven’t figured out how

[I gotta get my Hydra outta the box somehow. I’m dying to use it]