Hydrasynth from ASM

Unfortunately not. They have replied to people about it elsewhere. They don’t save last patch state because it would require writing to storage, and would therefore significantly slow down patch change speed, so they chose to have it boot at patch A01.

It’s not that bad once you get used to it, and stops you lazily falling into routines and habits :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe constant saving requires some additional memory component. The Digitakt does it and it’s such a bliss! I come to really appreciate that, same with my eventide stomp boxes.

I mean, saving constantly on the Digitakt must take time as well. Makes me assume that it is not a technical fatality not to be able to do that, but rather a choice of design/cost of components.

Hi all. I don´t know why they have moved this post here, but it doesn´t have to do anything with the Hydrasynth. I just gave the Hydrasynth as an example of the issue using the Digitakt, but it happens with any synth…anyway, thanks.

1 Like

Here’s ASM’s actual explanation.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not knowledgeable enough but I believe the key is the components, whether they are able to be written fast or not etc… Maybe someone with more knowledge can shime in.

Anyway, Im not here to say “can be done” but rather that I love it when it done. I become a bit pedantic with that even but that’s one of the reasons why I didn’t keep the microfreak. Freaked me out :wink:

My only gripe so far is the big knob. I’ve lost a few lengthy programming sessions by inadvertently touching the knob! Maybe a confirmation if the patch is edited?

EDIT: I am an idiot! This is already possible. Thanks Jukka

On an unrelated note: I think orange befaco banananuts look rather tasty on the cv jacks!

1 Like

Loving the step LFO / LFO editor at the moment. Lots of potential there. Would really like to see a feature where you can lock to increments of 5.0 though.

1 Like

yeah, on my microfreak i named the default patch (preset 1) to be an INIT patch saved with my studio name so when it boots up at least it’s in a blank state basically, and i don’t have to think i’m on another patch…

on the MF there is an option to Click the encoder to move to the next preset, or just have it do it without confirmation. maybe HS can add that at a later date too? this synth is so crazy none of this will deter me from getting it, but as with all synths - “ah that’s the quirk on this one”

seems like we’re talking about microseconds here when it comes to saving, but hey no worries…

3 Likes

Off-topic:

Are you selling the NDLR as I see a Peter on “Marktplaats” selling a NDLR?

It was the intention, but I re-invented the NDLR. It can do so much more than I first thought. So it’s on hold now. But there was a lot of interest.

1 Like

Nice! Have a bunch of those on some DIY module builds, never thought to use them on the Hydra.

1 Like

Yeah, I had to look them up – they do look nice for all sorts of things.

You can get them from Befaco.

Completely off-topic --> i’ve always wanted to get a whole box of the Befaco Knurlies for my Eurorack gear.

1 Like

I waited months for Knulies to come back in stock a while ago, and ended up getting some short M3 black nylon standoffs to do the same thing while I waited, but ended up liking the stealth black standoffs and never ended up getting the Knurlies. The stand offs were less about $8 for $100.

I’ve changed my rack around at least 10 times over the past two months, so they’ve been a life saver.

p.s. You can find the banana nuts in the US too if you want to get them.

I had two briefly due to a faulty led on one. sweetwater sent me a replacement before I sent back the faulty unit. Polychain worked fine.

2 Likes

Although Novation have mentioned that the split filter is not an option for Peak, hope the feature will be enabled in the future as it has the same two 12dB filters inside (missing filter selection button could be mitigated by press/hold Slope+Shape together). So many new sound shaping possibilities would be opened up.

1 Like

I have 2 Hydrasynths. I tried polychain and it works perfect. The first 8 voices will be played by the master, the 9th till 16th on the slave. Normally not very useful but when using the arpeggiator you have 16 voices and that’s really great.

Most of the time I midi-chained them. In that case the HSK will also play the HSD, and follow the patch changes.(if wanted).

It’s easy to switch modes in the system settings, so very flexible to use.

1 Like

Yeah, if I had two hydrasynths I would use them separately. One on bass and one on lead

I asked Novation and they confirmed to me that it’s not possible on the Peak. The physical filter configuration is different, I believe.

I do think if they could have done it with a software update they would.

1 Like

Thanks for info. That’s a real shame.

There’d be more use for poly chaining two Hydrasynths if the Unison mode was polyphonic as it is on some synths, rather than monophonic. That would eat up voices pretty quickly. Of course the HS has the WavStack in the Mutators, so you can get the Supersaw / Hypersaw sound that way with fewer voices. I’ve considered the possibility of using midi processing to repeat the same note across multiple voices in polyphonic mode, to get a polyphonic unison – i think that would work.