Hydrasynth from ASM

That’s weird, I thought I saw the topic come up and a solution fly past. Must have been someone else.

Nice! Yesterday a HS Desktop showed up on the Dutch version of eBay. I picked it up for € 650,- a steal in my opinion! Alllready love the sound! I am in for a journey!

4 Likes

This is nice – a little sample for an upcoming preset pack coming from TJontheRoad. He’s calling the pack AmbiEssence. Even if you only roll your own, it’s nice to hear what others are doing, and to pick up some ideas. Like for instance you can hear the noise going into a vowel filter, with that being modulated somewhat unpredictably. That’s just the start, there’s a lot more. I like the way this patch flows from one part to another.

You may recognize this creator – he did a video that GovernorSilver included over on the HS Tips and Tricks thread, where he showed using a guitar with controller to send MPE to a HS.

Dani538 and Peter118 – You are both the lucky sort. There’s the expression – “The Luck of the Irish.” Is there also – “The Luck of the Dutch” ? Enjoy your Hydrasynths !

4 Likes

that sounds great, keep it coming !

The Hydrasynth is such a grower…

Love that baby!

Nice words, @Jukka

I know the expression ‘Going Dutch’ but I think that’s not what you meant… :rofl:

But you’re right, we were(are) very lucky. I love my 2 Hydrasynths, controllling them with my NDLR is so overwhelming. It’s a real sound orgasm.

Two – really ? That’s great. Two desktops ?

Have you chained them ? Did that work ? You’re the first person that i’ve seen who has two.

I own a keyboard and a desktop version.

They are MIDI-connected in a bi-timbral 8+8 cfg (as opposed to poly-chained 16 voices, where you mostly never even trigger and hear any notes past 8 or so, so the Module would sit there doing nothing most of the time). A bi-timbral synth cfg setup well is simply spectacular. With this configuration the NDLR can send two seperate channels to the Hydrasynths, each having its own sequence or arpeggiator. Also you can choose two different patches playing at the same time. It’s really wonderful such a combination.

2 Likes

No that is not a thing. Haha. We are cheap bastards LoL. Perhaps that’s why we scout for bargains. But already love the device. The build quality is overwhelming! The pads also play very nice with the poly afterthouch. Just scratching the surface.

1 Like

Dude! Nice. I can imagine two of them
Would be awesome. I am going for the summit next to get the keyboard, bi timbral and awesome sound. Those would play together nicely.

1 Like

2?! dang! I just wanna afford 1 of em…

2 Likes

That would be a hard decision, choosing between either the Peak with the HSK or the Summit with the HSD. If you wanted a nicer keyboard it’s probably the poly-aftertouch HSK. But on the other side there’s such a difference between the Peak and Summit. Too bad there’s not a Summit desktop.

If someone was to want to pair the HS with the Waldorf Quantum/Iridium the decision would be a lot easier – given the Iridium is half the price, double the voices and bi-timbral (Quantum is mono-timbral for the moment). But both Waldorfs do accept poly-aftertouch.

Actually this is a fun game – mix and match Hydrasynth with a XXX.

Problem is you only plan with the synths that exists today. When you get around to the actual purchases, the world has changed.

1 Like

The Summit is 2 Peaks in a box. The Summit allows you to run external gear through the effects, and has a few added filter modes depending on the voice mode, but it’s just two Peaks. 100% patch compatibility.

Of course, since the Summit has more real estate on the panel, a few of the menu options are broken out to the panel as physical controls. They are all still on the Peak though, one menu layer deep.

2 Likes

The Summit is even a little more than two Peaks.

We’re not accounting for costs in this. Multi-factor matrix, with personal preferences mix in. Complicated.

I think a Kodamo EssenceFM might be an interesting combo with the HSK.

In which way aside from the differences I mentioned?

The PolyAT and the Ribbon controller makes the HSK unique. It adds so much accent to the patches. First I was thinking combining it with a Peak but I like the sound of the HS so much that I decided to companion it with a HSD. Another reason of buying the HSD is that I can use it on the couch, on bed or on my balcony. It’s portable enough.

1 Like

That’s what i was meaning, you added it to your post after.

Oh the panel controls I mentioned? They all still exist on the Peak, complete patch compatibility. That type of thing is common to all modules, the module usually has a few less knobs and sliders because of the smaller panel. Besides the difference in voices, and the additional filter modes, they are identical synths.

The extra panel controls are super sick though, having the FM broken out as well as the additional two LFOs on the panel is awesome!!! They are so simple to access on the Peak though, so I haven’t been able to convince myself to get the Summit.

And the Hydrasynth Keys together with the Desktop will still cost less than a Summit – or the Iridium, or the Kyra, or …

There’s a lot to be said for the HS in bang for buck.

3 Likes

Wow that’s true! Great value. I’m thinking about getting the HSK to pair with my Peak, the poly-at would be so choice.

The HSK actually costs even less than the Peak! $100 USD less. Amazing value.

Especially when you consider the quality of all the mechanicals on the HSK.

1 Like