Hybrid (HW+SW) set-up's that work for you?

Patchbay got me thinkin. Not sure I need the E-RM Multiclock any more. I’m curious tho.

The Main Audio Interface is the MOTU 828es and the Apogee Ensemble is an extension of Inputs and Outputs via ADAT. You can use OB with any Audio Interface.

1 Like

Having a hybrid hardware/software setup that stays in sync is a wonderful thing, I’m still working on it. Currently have a Digitakt running via Overbridge into Ableton Live with a Focusrite Clarett 8pre as the sound card, and a little MIDI Fighter Twister as a knobby controller. The Digitakt has very little latency in Live now I’ve adjusted the settings - this is a godsend as before I would record with so much latency that every clip had to be manually adjusted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They can be used at the same time. No need to select elektron in audio preferences. The VST handles all incoming and outgoing audio and midi.

1 Like

I am not sure how well this will work or if I am doing it the best way, but I just picked up two five-way splitters (Galaxy Audio) that I plan to use to send audio from the 3 and 4 channel aux sends of my new Mackie 1642VLZ4 mixer to the right and left inputs of several devices (Apollo Twin, Kronos, Analog 4, and MPC One), with the remaining aux 3 and 4 also going to the mono inputs of the MatrixBrute and Mother 32). I have also been able to put all the USB connectors from 7 devices into a single USB 3 hub and have them all recognized by both Logic on my Mac Pro (trash can version) and the MPC One. I have all the different synths connected with an ESI Audiotechnik M8U eX MIDI Interface for when I don’t want to turn the computer on and use it for the USB Midi host, and just want to use the Kronos as the master keyboard and play any of the other instruments (this is my mode most of the time lately–trying to avoid the computer as much as possible). I haven’t tested latency because I am still in the process of getting everything to work together. I also haven’t really figured out how to avoid using a sequencer on one of the machines without causing it to trigger the sequencer on at least one or more other machines. The “Holy Grail” of this setup would be to use the sequencer on any one of the connected devices in conjunction with the sequencer of any other device, have them appropriately clocked together and not interfere with each other. I can see that for some of you here that is child’s play, but I am a long way from achieving that. Something to grow toward…

1 Like

This is where I’m at currently.

I only have a certain amount of stuff out at any one time - I just don’t have the room, the inputs or the headspace to do more. I’m trying to do an EP’s worth of tracks with one setup at a time before swapping anything out.

I’m using an iMac connected to an Apollo Twin X. The Apollo is connected to a Focusrite Octopre Dynamic MkII via ADAT for a total of 10 inputs (48kHz / 24bit). One of the Apollo outputs is driving the clock on the E-RM Multiclock (audio plugin in the DAW - I’ve been trying Ableton recently but Logic is probably still my main DAW), but crucially I can have the DAW not open at all and make the ERM the master clock if I just want to jam with hardware. The Roland midi keyboard is connected to the ERM and the channels filtered appropriately, so I can switch channel on the keyboard to control different boxes. DN is sequencing the modular. The Monomachine is sequencing the Peak (I should probably use the DN but whatevs).

I switch inputs around depending on what I’m doing but recently it’s been like this:

1+2: Digitone (usually with the modular running into its inputs for fx)
3: Rytm BD
4: Rytm RS/CP (or any other single input, eg a eurorack voice or one of the Boutiques)
5+6: Rytm main outs
7+8: Peak
9+10: Monomachine (usually via pedals and/or AH; currently using Polymoon into Space a lot)

This is enough running at any one time to get a basic outline of a track or idea going before recording.

The Apollo does all the monitoring (hence practically zero latency), and I have preamp/compressor/EQ plugs running on most of the channels. When I record, the latency compensation in Logic does its job, I’ve never had to adjust it. I can just crop regions and it all lines up perfect. My tracks usually end up between 50%-100% hardware. I tend to use plugins mainly for pads / fx but sometimes I’ll do drums in the DAW (I really like the Roland 606 plugin, that through Live’s Drum Buss feels like cheat mode). Often the Peak ends up doing at least two parts, I love love love working with the Peak.

I have a patchbay ready to go but haven’t hooked it up yet (or figured out where to put it). I think I might end up needing two. But it hasn’t gotten annoying enough just yet for me to recable everything.

Edit: should say - for me, the Apollo was the game changer. I know it’s expensive and it’s hard not to feel like you’re getting suckered into a closed system that you don’t really need, but the reality is that it immediately made me more productive and made my stuff sound better. I was struggling to make hybrid work for me and it unlocked a lot of benefits just by simplifying the workflow.

7 Likes

Fire hazard

:laughing:

1 Like

There are actually three multi-ways under there. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

RME for the win! used a Fireface 800 for a decade and it was very solid. moved to a UFX II recently, and it is solid as well. will eventually ADAT up the FF800 but for now the 12 inputs on the UFX II are plenty.

as for process: typically I sequence everything with a Cirklon and the track is 90% or so arranged when I move it into the DAW. so I capture everything into that and fine tune the arrangement a bit while I work on the mix. typically I have more to record than I have inputs on the UFX II. so it takes a few passes through the track to get it all. I’ll group these into sets of instruments which I can tweak as needed while recording.

Elektron instruments I’ll capture with class compliant audio sometimes (OB doesn’t work on my old iMac). but sometimes not. like if I have several instruments going on the RYTM, I’ll just use the individual outputs into the UFX II versus going USB one-by-one.

so, in short: I multitrack everything. but it takes a little work to get it all. the patch bay is my best friend for all of this.

3 Likes

I got an Antelope Orion 32+ connected to 2 patchbays. Then all gear is connected to patchbay w/ ins/outs for all routing possibilities… Ableton is essentially used to print the sound and mix at a later date. Im still workin out the little intricacies, but I don’t see this setup changing anytime soon.

Might add a neve 8816 once I get a solid and consistent workflow figured out.

1 Like

I’m going to try tonight with my AH. I really liked using it as OB in Bitwig for recording, but If it adds latency or any sort of glitch, I’m not sure how much time I’m willing to invest. Thank for the tip. This could be another step toward perfection.

That’s a really nice set-up. Very tidy for all the cabling that must be going on. I have to say, I’m not sure I could handle that much stuff on my desk all at once. My head might explode.
Update: My friend lent me her Maschine MK3. I had the MK1 years and years ago, but this one has a much better screen and loads more buttons. Going to experiment with this setup for a minute.

1 Like

There’s cables everywhere! It’s a real mess.

Having said that, these are the pieces of gear I’ve spent the most time with and feel most comfortable with, so it’s not too much brain tax. I know what to turn to if I have an idea and need a certain thing in a track. Sometimes I’m only using one or two tracks on the MnM or DN.

Yeah, agreed with that being a nice, well organized, and tidy space. Makes me want to rearrange… again! :expressionless:

1 Like

The key, when you have a lot of gear, is to be well organized. All the Elektron devices can follow each other with Program Change. For the rest of the Synths, if you have something like a DT, DN or OT, you can use their MIDI Tracks to sequence them and save their Patches (no need to remember everything, as long as they have Patch Memory). In my setup, if I press Play on my DT, all my devices will start. On top of that, I don’t need to Power on all of them, thanks to my Kenton Thru-12. If you stick to the plan, everything should be easier. Finally, I can record everything on separate Tracks using OB and Ableton Live.

1 Like

Wait a second. You are using the DT as a masterclock? To clock your computer set up? I haven’t tried this with the RME. That would be full on, every box che3cked if I pressed play on my OT and Bitwig started perfctly with 2.7ms. :upside_down_face:

No. I’m using OB with No Sync. I match the BPM of the DT with Ableton Live. When I want to Record, I click the Record button in Live and press Play on the DT after Live’s countdown.

2 Likes

So, your livin offgrid huh? Micro-hydro? Yeah, I get it. :grinning:
My mess for the weekend. I tend to only have a couple machines on my desk at a time. DRM1 is on loan from a friend for the weekend. The above storage contains easy to plug into the OT and sample things. Boutiqueish stuff. Really excited to plug in the Motu828. I need to order lightpipe .

3 Likes

I like to live dangerously :innocent:

2 Likes

Currently, I use Overbridge on my DT and link all my gear using a midi-thru box. Midi Out comes from a Launchpad Mk3 that is the master clock. I really like the Print-to-Clip feature on the Launchpad. It lets me use the sequencer to fuss around with non-Elektron gear and save the midi data quickly. For some reason I don’t enjoy sequencing external gear through the DT…

I’m not too bothered by latency but it does happen.

1 Like