How to use overbridge with 2 devices (Syntakt and Digitakt)

I am not quite sure when to use multitrack record vs. recording just all in one.

Setup:
I have a 30min mix over 50+ patterns from Syntakt + Digitakt (Digitakt audio out is going into the syntakt audio in)

I am able to record 12 audio tracks from Syntakt + 8 from Digitakt, great. But I put a lot of time into tweaking reverb and delay per pattern on both devices, so no need to ignore them and re-create in ableton.

I ended up just recording 2 audio tracks with everything from Syntakt and Digitakt as I need the effects. How should I be thinking about this ?

This is a pretty frequently asked question, and the usual answer is to use Audio Routing menu to send just the effects to Main, then overbridge’s recording wi have the individual track outs to add back to it.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this, but with just the Digitakt and external gear going through it (for now) into Ableton. As my setup is on my desk with my pc, I’ve decided to just from now on do everything monitored through Ableton, and I’m going to get a Launch Control XL so that when I go to alter delay, reverb or panning on the DT, I’ll just do it directly on the LCXL to the already set up send effects in Ableton instead. It does the same thing, and makes life easier in the end.

I don’t quite understand this. As it is also the thing keeping me from using OB, maybe you could share a thread/post where this method is explained :pray:?

this is for digitone but the same concept for all the similar boxes. this global audio routing menu lets you select which of the audio tracks or effects (or all) routes to main, so the idea is routing only the effects to main while overbridge tracks out the audio instances individually and it’s later combined back together. does that make sense?

5 Likes

I haven’t been doing much with a hybrid setup lately, but when I was doing more of it then with my DT and DN, I only muted the tracks that I wanted to process independently in Ableton, and focused the main outs on the tracks I wanted to use the DT/DN’s internal effects for.

Generally my drums from the DT I would mute from the main outs, and process them entirely in Ableton, usually with the Drum Bus effect, which I love. Also if the DT was on bass duty I’d mute that as well. But stabs and other stuff maybe use the DT’s effects for, and those I would usually process as part of the main outs. Similar for the DN…pads I liked to use Ableton to process, but just about everything else I really like using the internal DN effects for.

You can get very flexible with your routing.

1 Like

Thanks, but I still don’t really understand this approach. The effects on Elektrons are usually part of my sound design and I would like to record individual audio tracks via Overbridge and have the effects recorded on the individual tracks themselves. In standard setting, they’re only recorded to the master track. Would the approach you’ve described result in individual tracks with effects in just one go? Ideally, OB would just allow me to decide whether individual tracks also contain the effects of this specific track.

Sorry for not digging deeper, I will read more on this and try out the approach. Thanks for providing some clarification!

1 Like

All of the OB-enabled Elektron boxes use send effects, so it’s impossible to isolate them for each track individually.

2 Likes

It’s exactly as stasiuk says, unfortunately you can’t do it that way. You could individually track things out the old fashioned way, one track at a time, with effects baked in if it would be more cohesive with your workflow though.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was planning to do, thank you! I guess I could still send only a few tracks to the master, I don’t need the FX for all of them, so your advice is helpful!

1 Like

Also be aware that for what you’re talking about (one track at a time) you actually don’t even have to use overbridge for that, you can just record the audio over USB directly to a track in your DAW after choosing the elektron as your audio device. But you may find you can get more use out of OB than you originally thought.

1 Like

If you can determine in advance which tracks you are likely to want to cut and move around, and which are fixed, at the time of recording, that can also make it easier.

1 Like