How to trigger DT audio tracks and play DT patterns using SPD sx as a midi controller

Dear elektronauts,

I can’t understand what’s wrong in what I do to use SPD sx as a MIDI controller with Digitakt.
Someone could suggest a “step to step” tutorial about that?

My goal is to play DT audio track 1-8 with pad 1-8 from SPD sx
and to play/stop sequences from the digitak using one or 2 SPD sx Pad.

thanks a lot

Welcome @laura.agnusdei

You can play T1-8 with notes 0-7, on midi channel 1 (or 2-8).

You need to be able to send START/STOP midi messages from pads (not sure if SPD sx can), and set Transport receive in the Digitakt Midi Sync page.

Edit : SPD SX start button should work…
https://support.roland.com/hc/en-us/articles/8545705647387-SPD-SX-PRO-How-do-I-synchronize-this-unit-with-an-external-MIDI-device

Dear Sezare56,

thank you so much for your answer. Unfortunately, It doesn’t work… Now my situation is:
on DT settings:
PORT CONFIGURATION - Input from MIDI
TRIG KEY DESTINATION - Ext
RECEIVE NOTES yes
RECEIVE CC/NRPN yes

CHANNELS:
track 1 channel 1 and so on till 8
AUTO CHANNEL 1
PROGRAM CHANGE IN CH 1

on track 1 on Trig Parameters C5 (0)

ON SPD sx:
sending on channel midi 1 MIDI NOTE 0
settings for sending MIDI are ok and working for sending MIDI on Ableton for examples…

MIDI CABLE 5 pin connecting MIDI OUT of SPD sx to MIDI IN on DT

I tried a lot of other configurations with other midi notes but nothing seems to work…

thanks for the link also but i don’t have the SPD pro version so settings are different but I ll try to find the same link for my model

thank you again!!!

1 Like

Your settings seems correct to trigger tracks.
Notes 0-7 trigger tracks on channels 1-8, and notes above play target track chromatically (target track depends on midi channel, or currently selected track if you use AUTO CHANNEL).

I’d check the midi cable, try different notes, channels, DT audio out…

With this setting you only send midi with and you can’t play internally. INT or INT + EXT if you want to trigger external midi with DT.

I tried to change midi notes, channels, midi cable, nothing seems to make a difference…
Audio out is fine cause it works when TRiG KEY DESTINATION ins on EXT-INT.

I really don’t know what else to try out…

thank you again!!

1 Like

Try with a new project.
By default, DT settings should be ok. If it doesn’t work, check again SPD with a software midi monitor to see which midi notes are sent.