How to sequence all tracks within Overbridge of the Digitone

Jancour —

Any insight on how to automate DIGITONE in Ableton?

1 Like

On the plug in shell? At the bottom window with the plugins, hit the configure button and then, say you’re on the filter page, turn the cutoff knob and the res knob. You’ll see boxes appear with those parameters. You can do for as many as you want.

there is a limit of 128, which gets you about through T1 and T2.

So is the consensus here that we cannot use Overbridge to receive notes or sequences from Ableton? I’ve tried everything I’ve read and nothing seems to do it aside from not using Overbridge and making an external Instrument.

It is a bit weird indeed. When you want to sequence from Ableton you have to use an external instrument and can route the audio from the OB plug-in. And then there is a separate channel for the OB plug-in.

If you want to automate you use the OB channel or cc from the external plugin.

Still think OB is highly overrated. It is a weird way for splitting the audio so you don’t have to use a Audio Interface. That’s the only reason I use it to get stems from my Digitakt or Digitone. But to set it up for sequence & automate from Ableton is a bitch. If I work in a DAW that is what I want.

It would be so simple like add 4 midi tracks. Drop the OB in each of them for the Digitone. Set the midi channels and sequence and automate. But no you can only have 1 OB per project and they want you to add external instruments to do the sequencing.

But I guess I want to use OB for something it never was intended to use. It is intended to use as a hub so the boxes are joined into your DAW and in sync. But sequencing and all still goes from the boxes instead of the DAW and you can record them per track.

I have made peace with it and therefor don’t use OB not that much.

Dont know if here is some additional information. (Episode 12 and13)
I never used it this way from a daw.
Only sometimes as audio tracks for bitwig.

Using a4 as mididrummachine controller gave a bit too much latency, didnt test often.
That is on my old hp.
Digitone on macbp maybe a bit less latency but it seems less stable or maybe a4(mk1) is more stable.
Anyway i think its great for audio from one device and one hw synth on audio in and the rest from daw (i dont even have an audio interface bc of fear of t2 chip problems at the time…) , just as always I never made something serious…

Well I learned something new :slight_smile: that I do t need to use a External Instrument. But still need a shitload of channels haha and automate is still on another track then on the track where you sequence from.

1 Like

Give this a try.

4 Likes

I got it to work using this, so thank you! Although I still cannot seem to get my digitone to record incoming notes even though I have “receive notes” checked off.

NEVERMIND I GOT IT TO WORRRRRRK!!! YAAAAAA! I am SO excited! I just used an external instrument and I think I just had the settings off in ableton! I’m gonna jam SO HARD NOW!

2 Likes

yyyyyeahhh, Overbridge has only been an exercise in frustration for me. By the time I get it set up for whatever “trick” I’m trying to do music time is over.

I’ll stick with a midi cable and an audio interface.

1 Like

Good to hear that! As I’m also currently struggling with my OB-DN-Ableton setup. Would you mind sharing your current settings/routing using the External Instrument on Ableton? Can you still record incoming notes into the internal sequencer of the DN?

Also I’ve found this thread in which you can download pre-made Ableton project templates for each machine! Gonna try this out now

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/templates-daw-overbridge-settings-mac-by-me-and-pc-by-rafh/34281/79

Hi, it’s pretty dumb idea to sequence DT/DN tracks from DAW, tbh, it’s like 8+8/4+4 track HW Ableton on steroids. Elektron sequencer is way ahead of any pianoroll, it’s developed for fast and useful work, if you doesn’t get it and your choice is still to spend years due mouse clickin, go and sell it. Any old-fashoined simple sound module (DX200 or RefaceDX, or PreenFM…?) will be more suitable for you.