How to safely save patterns on OT Mk1

What is changing? I would look into Parts.

It sounds like overall parameters are changing not trigs.

Highly recommend you check out Merlin’s guide: A polished version of Merlin's OT guide here

EDIT: Unless you mean that trigs are changing too? That would be odd…

1 Like

Hey man, thanks for the quick response.

It looks like the samples allocated to each track are changing, rather than trig information. In other words, the sounds for each track are what I used most recently on A01, rather than what I left on A03.

Thanks for the guide, just taking a look now.

1 Like

Yea so AFAIK unless you use slices there is no way to change samples/tracks on the same bank per pattern. I know on the Digitakt you can change samples per trig, maybe something similar on the OT?

I haven’t made it that far in my adventure of my OT so hopefully others can chime in :upside_down_face:

I just use it mostly as a THRU machine/FX/Mixer/Waveform Synth so I am not familiar with slices and or banks just yet.

I would still look into Parts! Allows for a lot of changes and it might be what you want per bank (4 different variations of samples/etc…)

The slots the samples are in are associated to the pattern…
you can change everything in a new bank but the samples must stay where they were for the previous bank… so use new slots to put new samples in…

this is exactly the same with parts as when you change bank you are using a new part
as there are 4 per bank

On the Octatrack, if you want to load samples into a machine on a track, you first have to fill the sample slot list with samples.
There is one sample slot list for Flex Machines and one for Static Machines.
Flex Machines play samples from ram, Static Machines stream from the cf card.
Both sample slot liste are per project, so in all 16 banks in a project, you have access to those samples.

One very important concept of Octatracks structure are parts.
Parts can be compared to kits on other Elektron machines.
Each bank has four parts.
One part is always active.

A part contains which machines are assigned to which tracks, which samples are loaded in those machines, which fx are assigned on tracks + all the parameters and settings of those tracks and fx, also midi track settings and 16 scenes.

So when you make changes on a pattern, that is linked to a specific part, the parameters/settings on all other patterns, that use this part will also change.

If you want to use a new sample in a track, you don‘t necessarily have to use a new part, though.
There‘s also sample locks (change sample on a per step basis) and slices.

It‘s really best to read the user manual and Merlins Guide as already suggested. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Schnork,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I am using Merlin’s guide now, which is helpful. Your explanation has also proved beneficial.

Cheers,

Sam

3 Likes

Just always think before you change anything in a bank!

Or only use sample + parameter locks.

I also ran into these problems a lot because I was always forgetting that if you change stuff on pattern 1 it will change it also on all the other patterns – on the same part.

People here suggesting sometimes to use parts to separate the bank into 4 „parts“ (1-4 part 1, 5-8 part 2 etc.). But even then you have to remember not to edit stuff within the part… use sample locks / parameter locks. and think before tweaking! It drives me crazy as well. But you will get used to it. Muscle memory will kick in quickly.

1 Like

I tried to give a simple explanation but reading merlins guide and the manual and just testing how things work for yourself is the best… once you work this bit out it starts to make sense

1 Like

Just to confirm, you can alter samples, trigs, effects, machines and so on for, pattern B01, for example, without affecting anything in Bank A. Right?

Thanks for your response and advice mate

1 Like

Yes, you can use different effects, trigs and samples but don’t overwrite the sample location for bank A. Scroll down and use a different location (slot) for the samples you want to use for bank B.

OK, but the samples are just loaded from my CF card to the audio pool. Are you saying that I can’t use the same sample twice in one Bank, or even across two Banks?

You can. You can even load the same sample on to several tracks, if you like.
Also each bank uses a different set of parts, so all you do in bank B is not affected by anything in bank A anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah as @Schnork said you can use it with different fx trigs etc just don’t overwrite it
I just meant for new samples you want to add
I normally think of each bank as a different track, but everyone does things differently obviously…

1 Like

Both super helpful, thank you. Especially useful for me personally to reconceptualise Banks as discrete tracks, rather than Patterns.

this is why i’m trying to do all my tweaks within scenes thus it becomes my snapshots apart from performance tool. so even page+clear won’t affect your sound.
it’s hard not to touch anything on secondary pages though)

1 Like

wow…man …this is such a gamechanger workflow for me. Never thought about that. Somehow I always avoided scenes. Could you elaborate a bit on how you organize your scenes? Also usage in combination with the crossfader.

1 Like

Ehm another thing that wasn’t discussed: Saving of parts … there was a thread about this a few month back. Didn’t you have to manually save the parts to not lose their state (before turning the OT off? argh I don’t remember…)

edit: found a post … but it’s very old and I think the problem persists (even with Mk2):

and to quote some very good advice:

2 Likes

normally i try sticking to the following scheme:
1 part is linked to 4 patterns thus you have 4 scenes per pattern at your disposal. so it’ll look smth like this:
pattern: scenes (A — B)
1: 1-9, 2-10.
2: 3-11, 4-12
3: 5-13, 6-14
4: 7-15, 8-16

it’s the same for every part across your bank (i.e. part 2 will be disctributed from pat. 5 to 8)
crossfader is a huge happy accident from here between different scenes which i write down once i found a good combo.

of course i’m not always use all and every bit from this scheme (and i believe it’s pretty basic and common approach here) but it helps keeping track of what’s where when your project is starting to grow

3 Likes

After all this time… I have now the feeling it made CLICK with the OT. Been more like “I guess I’ll sell it” but now: never ever!

2 Likes