How to record 'knob twists' when using M:S to control soft synths (in Logic Pro)

Hello Elektronauts! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I did not find a similar thread here / elsewhere. I tried today to use my M:S as a midi controller in Logic for some soft synths (Softube Model Series, but I guess the actual synth is irrelevant). It works like charm re. live recording notes, and I can easily map M:S’s knobs to different ‘knobs’ of the soft synth, and I can control those values while a sequence is running / just playing the softsynth via the M:S.

The M:S is capable of ‘motion sequencing’ when used as a sampler, i.e. to record not only the notes / pads played, but to record the ‘knob twist’ (the value change related to the knobs). However, it does not record the knob twists into the sequence when controlling soft synths . So, it records the note sends to M:S’s internal sequencer, but does not record the knob twists (OR maybe it does record it, it is only that the related , recorded value change is not transmitted to the soft synt - yet again, all knobs CC message’s are transmitted when I manuall turn and twist them).

Am I ignorant of something?

It’s all related to something in the settings called ENC or ENCS (encoders).

EDIT: Go to Settings -> Midi -> Filter -> Encs and turn that to ‘I+E’ (internal and external). Now, provided you have the rest of the midi settings right (particularly MOUT set on the TRK MENU) then encoder values should be transmitted.

thank you for the tip! The problem is, though, that the encoders indeed transmit, but only when I manually turn them. When I want to record the move of the encoders to the sequencer of the M:S (let’s call it ‘motion sequencing’), it does not transmit encoder movement (CC changes), only the note information. I checked all the MIDI settings, and since everything else is working, I can not figure out whether this ‘motion sequencing’ feature only works when using M:S as a standalon sampler, and not as a MIDI controller. (Again, when playing back a recorded sequence it transmits the note information, and even during playback // live record of sequence the encoders transmit information when I turn them manually, but not when I think it has recorded encoder movement…)

Sorry if it does not make sense, English is not my native language.

It does not do this … the encoders only generate output when moved - this is not subsequently sequenced, so won’t do Motion Sequencing

This is teh case for all the Elektrons

If you want to sequence control data you need an Elektron (or other device) with MIDI sequencing Tracks … like OT DT DN ST

My mistake … sorry.

oh, I see, thanks for the reply!

no worries, thanks for the help anyways!

1 Like