How to record Analog Keys in mono

I have a limited number of inputs on my mixing board and want to be able to record all my synths in mono. I have been looking for a while but can’t find out how to get all the sounds coming out of the Analog Keys/4 to come out of just one output.

Can anyone help me out?

I think best solution would be to use stereo to mono cabling - relying on that to sum to the right volume

1 Like

There are no cables capable of summing to mono, it needs to be a proper mixer,
You can split a signal but you can’t just sum it with a cable

1 Like

This should work, but will sacrifice a voice.
Run the stereo sum out of the analog keys into the inputs. Mute input channels on fx track. On a synth track, change the oscillator waveforms to the inputs. Use the track’s individual out to record in mono

Alternate idea; pan everything to one side.

1 Like

I think there might be cables that can be made for you and there are a few converters as well but I agree with you that it’s probably not the easiest solution. I was doing it the other way around, splitting stereo to mono, and got it mixed up :).

But something like this converter could MAYBE work, right?

I find it strange that Electron doesn’t make this option simple like “Use the Left output only for MONO and use Both for Stereo”. Almost all older synths did this and many modern synths do as well. Out of the 20 synths that I have there are only 3 that don’t have that option.

A lot of people that I have talked to say they just build a Y-cable and tie the tips and sleeves together. I have read that this is not a good idea in that it can both harm your gear and you will loose part of the signal caused by phasing. I have seen some “old school” schematics that use a couple of resistors to protect your gear but not sure how safe it Is and besides it doesn’t help with the phasing issue.

Using mono tracks for recording synths, especially if you have a lot of tracks, is really a good idea and will keep your recordings from getting muddy even when you have a lot of tracks. I just find it crazy that you have to use a separate mixer just to make your synths mono.

Am I the only one that feels that way?

1 Like

I have thought about that as well and I cannot think of the reasons why.

I’d record left or right. The signal is mono before amp.

1 Like

Could you not simply pan each voice hard left or hard right and then use that channel of the master out to record?

Or am I missing something?

Or are you wanting all of the channels to come out of a single individual out (on AK or A4 mk2) whilst maintaining the main out for wet only fx?

2 Likes

Do you have the Keys or A4? Because the individual outs on the Keys are mono outputs. Problem solved

Edit: just saw you want all four tracks out together. So yeah, just pan everything hard left and go out of the main left output :+1:

1 Like

If it’s center pan (without lfo on pan), you can also record left or right. Advantage : better if you want to listen with Main Outs + Fx.

There’s a switch to make them mono?
Sending the AK separate outputs to 4 mono tracks on mixer?

2 Likes

According to the manual, Analog Keys has 4 x 1/4” stereo (TRS) individual track outputs.

3 Likes

@sezare56, I stand corrected. They are stereo. Must’ve gotten confused just using mono cables in my own one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Klark Teknik makes stereo to mono summing DI boxes that works great with my A4. You can sometimes find great deals on them on eBay.

I still don’t get why you’d need to sum an originally mono source…:thinking:

So mono cables work properly?

For me. It was fine. I deliberately didn’t use FX though as I knew that would make things stereo and maybe something would get lost in translation :slightly_smiling_face:

So just to make sure, if I want to connect my analog four to a mono FX pedal (1 input), and have some stereo pedals after it, then the best way is to pan all the voices in the analog four to the left, and then use a cable from left out to the mono pedal, and then the mono out of the pedal into the stereo pedals (that have a L/mono in)?

I can’t see why it would be problem to try it. Should be fine. I think you got more knowledgeable answers on another thread, too, right?

1 Like