How to modulate multiple SOUND parameters?

I’d like to impart some variety in my SOUNDS (not Patterns) without having to contrive that variety on a trig-by-trig basis. In other words, I’d like to modulate multiple parameters of each Sound without having to do manual p-locks.

How would I achieve this without using external gear?

As far as I can tell from the (Kafkaesque) manual and other posts on here:

• I can only route the LFOs to one destination at once, whereas I’d like to modulate multiple parameters in each Sound.
  • Conditional locks wouldn’t work as they are intended to control whether a trig fires or not, rather than vary the Sound of pre-existing trigs

Thanks

That s what scenes and performances are for, no?

2 Likes

I might be wrong but I understood Scenes to be a set of fixed parameter-locks, whereas I want the parameters to vary over time, not just switch from one state to another.

Performance mode would be much closer, if I could modulate the Performance Amount by an LFO. I think?

performance pads are the way to go. also velocity and aftertouch can be mapped to multiple destinations at once… but all of them require life user interaction… they are addressable via midi also, but you need external lfos/gear

2 Likes

if u have mk2 there are also the two cv ins…

so, without using external gear, the options are the individual single-destination LFOs and Performance pads?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by mapping velocity and aftertouch to multiple destinations at once? EDIT: Don’t worry, found this! :slight_smile:

In the sound menu you can access more modulation mappings. But it will take some creativity to map more than 1 parameter to the sound tracks’ LFO. Not sure how to go about that.

1 Like

ok, thanks dtr. Appreciate the help! I’ll see how things sound using a combo of LFO and trig velocity to modulate parameters.

Care to elaborate on that qualification? :slight_smile:

If this is your first Elektron device I can get the feeling. It’s a rather complex one!

Ha yes it is my first Elektron piece of kit! I love the machine, don’t get me wrong. But I’ve owned a lot of equipment over the years and this is the most bloated manual I’ve ever read.

It contains way more text than it needs to, repeats itself unnecessarily and actually makes things seem more complex than they actually turn out to be, which is kinda the antithesis of a manual.

But then this forum is wicked and the machine is great so I’ll live! :slight_smile:

EDIT: the Velocity Mod stuff is working wonders, thanks for that! Oversight on my part.
My patterns all have dynamic velocities as a general rule so having that as a modulator is a godsend! Yeeessss

also have a look at slide trigs / parameter slides

yep that was next on my list of things to experiment with, haven’t used that feature yet. That in combo with the Velocity Mod and track LFO seems to offer plenty of onboard modulators. It continues to surprise me, this machine!

It is well hidden in the menus…

1 Like

Just looking at Parameter Slides now.

Let’s say I had a simple four-to-the-floor bass drum pattern over one bar and I wanted the Tuning to gradually “Slide” from 0 to 15 over those four hits.

Ideally I’d just tell the Slide where to start and stop, in terms of time and tuning.
I.e. start on the first hit and end on the fourth; start on Tuning 0 and end on Tuning 15.

Is this possible? Or would I have to write Tuning p-locks on each hit (0, 5, 10, 15) and put a Slide Trig on each hit too?

In other words, can I only slide between two note trigs (rather than across four)?

yes, just tried it to be sure. you have to slide lock all trigs… so 0 5 10 15 like in your example…

as soon as there is a trig between the two slide trigs, it wont work… in other words: they have to be neighbors on the sequencer

nice shortcut: if you hold down a trig in grid recording mode, you can make it a slide trig by hitting bank d/h button (slide) and also see if it is a slide trig, by the lit led

Ok thanks, good to know. I guess it’s not exactly designed for gradual parameter changes over an entire pattern really! Still a cool feature, sure I’ll use it for something.

That goes straight up on my wall of fame :grinning:

8 Likes

haha, in contrast, i have to say, i find the manuals are pretty consistent across the machines and structured pretty logical… of course, the deep machines require detailed and accurate writing, but i still learned a lot from them!

2 Likes