How to make noise like pole

how do i make noise like pole(Stefan Betke) 《3》`s sound by hardware fx。fuzz?overdrive?how do i make those warm noise。thx reply

Buy a Waldorf 4-Pole and drop it?

5 Likes

Hey Elektron’s hiring!

1 Like

what pedal in photo? red one? can i did warm noise by fx pedal?

First off - thanks for the question, cause it got me to listen to this excellent album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThiuKgg7Y3s)

The version on youtube is hard to tell, to my ears it sounds like maybe - the sounds were sent to tape first, really gross noisy tape, then re-put back together using serious noise gating.

Don’t know, but tape is one way to get ‘warm’ noise.

HAHA and I thought you were joking about dropping the waldorf!

Maybe a bit like the technique I describe but instead of tape the noise is from the broken fx unit.

1 Like

Are you into modular at all?

in other threat , someone told me boss dd3457+odb3 can make dirty dub sound, what do you think about odb3(boss overdrive bass 3)?good choice? i totally have no idea, thx。 my setup {machinedrum mk2 uw,novation supernova2 some delay pedal}

You will need more than one piece of hardware. You should also be able to do it with what you have. I would think more of eq-ing and mixing will help you.

Learn to be a mastering engineer.http://www.thewire.co.uk/audio/in-conversation/listen-to-a-talk-by-stefan-betke-aka-pole-from-unsound-new-york-2012

It’s dub, so tape delay takes a very important part, I’d try layering delay lines and re-recording them with different filter and EQ settings. Bringing out the dirt and pops. Also, you can try to slightly shift them in time. You can do this with many plugins and some decent delay pedals as well, depending on what you are using. Pole just does it very very good. So practice and getting used to the behavior of tape might help.

1 Like

I just ran across this interview (in English!) with Stefan Betke, and couldn’t find a better place to post in the forum, so I am gonna necromancy this old thread.

An afternoon at Scape Mastering with Stefan Betke (Pole) ~ Darko Audio

10 Likes

I salute your dark magic. Thanks for sharing this!

3 Likes

time for a seance.
:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

2 Likes

Xaoc Sofia

1 Like

…his main sonic ingridience was indeed, a half broken 4 pole filter device by waldorf…

but any nice dirt with some lfo’d filter muffeling will do…sort of…

such things also gave many massive attack mixes their edge…an open room mic or stuff like that, always one track, with low fader status, dedicated just for filling the very background with some kind of additional noisefloor dirt…

just a few days ago, i heard some steel glide meets accoustic guitar guy from kentucky…nothing special in first place, but under each noodeling along guitar licky loopy track he established some heavy noise and vinyl crackling underneath it…and there was all all the magic…

5 Likes

@goomo Dr Scientist, Radical Red Reverberator