How to learn general production concepts

Mike Senior’s books (“Recording Secrets for the Small Studio” + “Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio”) are great places to start for recording & mixing knowledge.

For music theory related production tips, I do like the Hook Theory ebooks/apps, they provide a decent and straight forward introduction to harmony (pop).

Then there are plenty of genre specific options, like Rick Snoman’s Dance Music Manual or Mark Levine’s Jazz Theory Book.

I find video courses on production always a bit difficult, as they often show someone using a tool or performing a particular trick/tip with a tool rather than really delivering the fundamentals. I also find it hard to go in depth with videos, as it all sounds easy and straight forward in demonstration (but actually is much more complex and interesting in application).

2 Likes

Has anybody got a copy of this? Recommended?

Re “The secrets of dance music production” - the book provides a lot of “how to” sections and some interesting analyses of tracks, but I find it a bit too software/plugin focused. Also, because it covers so much it remains more at the surface, providing a lot of visual material (eg. whole pages of walkthroughs through specific plugins), but not so much in-depth text. And I do not so much like the landscape format and glossy paper.

For theory:
I took piano lessons as a kid, and I’ve gone back to the (British) ABRSM books - they’re really well done imho. Strong fundamentals!

Also working through a copy of ‘Twentieth Century Harmony’ by Vincent Persichetti (a few chapters in, and enjoying it so far).

Agree about the shortcomings of video courses. I’ve wasted hours on courses that weren’t worth my time. And I’ve wasted hours on plenty of other stuff too! Will check out the Mike Senior books for sure. Strong foundations are really important to me. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine is in the mail. I’ll report when I can. Which could be in a while, cause… Covid :woozy_face:

Hunter S. Thompson used to write The Great Gatsby over and over again.

Do that.

3 Likes

this seems like a very cool book and i’m interested to know what others think too

1 Like

This one helps me a lot when Im going back to basics once in year :slight_smile:

This guy is good too. Mainly he’s trying to Pimp his Skype course…but he genuinely knows what he’s talking about and gives out some good bits. He’s worked for SSL and mixed for Ice Cube, that’s about all I know about him.

Oc Streaky too, who’s mixed Ed Sheeran, Adelle and tonnes of DnB. Used to work at Metropolis. Mostly he’s reviewing £12,000 nearfields etc, but he gives good tips, mainly regarding mastering.

1 Like

Just heard about the Hyperbits masterclasses:

At $2000+ it’s pretty steep. Anyone taken this class?

Personally, I’d avoid spending that kind of money unless these things were true:

• you get to physically work with hardware you don’t have already have access to, in a treated room, ideally including recording a live performance (or something equivalently valualbe where you have to work real time with something out of your control)
  • there’s a small number of other people in the class you can interact with outside of teacher-driven sessions
1 Like

We talked about this (Masterclasses) yesterday with a famous techno producer on Twitch. Just don’t do it… get a tutor with 1 on 1 advice tailored to your needs/problems. There are a lot of people on Patreon …well basically everywhere nowadays who offer this. Some of them could even be your musical idols. I’d rather invest a few hundreds for 1 on 1 mentoring.

In the last year I bought and watched a lot of Masterclasses and well effectively they didn’t bring me any personal advancements for my music. It’s nice to see how other work in detail … but well … you need to find your own workflows and “signature sounds”.

1 Like

I’ve joined an “accountability group”. Every two weeks, 4-8 of us convene (in a video call) to discuss goals, progress and what we’ve made. Our version is pretty loose: people at slightly different stages of their hobby/career. We’re focusing on composition and performance, rather than production. There’s a wide range of genres, styles and abilities in my group.

It’s not the ideal format for learning hands-on production, but it’s fabulous for guidance, support and pace. Forums like this (and in particular this one) are wonderful for offline resources, but there’s something extra in talking in real-time with a support network.

Perhaps make your own little “mastermind” group with a couple of other people you’re not regularly collaborating with, but who all want to learn production technique.

3 Likes

Absolutely great! I see the same pattern in other contexts and the idea of “circle of friends” or a “community” with which you can cooperate, discuss, learn is the best thing you can do.
Congrats for the idea.

1 Like