How to get perfect/smoother looping sustained sounds?

Is there a specific trick/setting for trying to extend a short sample into a longer sound with a sustained decay/release using looping?

ie. in Ableton I can set the loop section to move backwards and forwards, which generally creates a smoother looping sound — but no matter how I try with the LFO modulating the PLAY mode, I can’t replicate this.

(is there a trick to simulating the ‘crossfade’ function in the Ableton sampler, to smear/disguise the loop point?)

Is there a trick to achieving something like this? (I’m generally trying to extend a short synth sound into a longer pad like sustained sound)

Many thanks in advance!

P lock wherever you need this, and Adjust the start, loop, and end point of around where the tone is you want it to draw out and fine tune it. It doesn’t always work, but it can be done.

Thanks for that — I’ll try that out as a workaround, but I guess I’m trying to create a playable instrument where I can hold long notes without obvious looping or popping artefacts from the loop point.

I’m having some success (depending on the sound) messing with the LFO on Play Mode and either Start or Length, but it is pretty hit and miss atm.

I just wish there was a simple way to make the loop go back and forth, which generally results in a cleaner/smoother less discernable loop.

You’re in luck….There is!
Ping pong trick:

5 Likes

Genius! Thank you!:pray:

Works really well, except for if I play slightly higher register, and the playhead moves past the end of the waveform before reversing direction.

I gather that there is not a way to have the playhead move back and forth in just the looping section?

Yeah I guess there are limitations on the range like you say. But play around with the LFO speed, increasing speed as you play higher notes so it changes direction more quickly, if the notes are sequenced you can plock the changing lfo speed…if you’re playing live then you’d also have to play the LFO speed manually. Or you could use a longer sample if you want more note range …

1 Like

That would be a ping pong feature implemented by Elektron, rather my hack/work around :smiley:

1 Like

There’s 3 parameters that can be used to create a seamless loop; they are on the source and amp pages. I haven’t tried with a sine wave synth sounds, but samples of rhythm tracks and I can loop anything however I want, seamless.

On the source page set play mode to fwd continuous. On the same page the sample start and stop points, along with the ADSR parameters on the amp page; sometimes more on one or the other, will allow for seamless looping. Maybe using a little delay as well for certain sounds? Typically I have enough decay to smooth out any clicks, but allows the sample to stop playing as I release the trig or key.

On the amp page adjust the sustain to “note” and the sample will, if set to “continuous fwd” will play as long as you press the trig. Adding a few points to the decay and rolling back the attack back will set the smoothness.

Between the three parameters you should be able to create a smooth looping sample or a droning tonal sound.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience with my questions everyone.

Yes, it looks like it really is just a bit of trial and error with the aforementioned parameters until the desired result is achieved.

I think I will have to experiment a bit with this to work out which combos work best. :slight_smile:

Thinking logically (captain) about this a bit more…
In your DAW or sample editor, take a copy of your sample and flip /reverse it and stick it on the end of the original sample, transfer to digitakt and just play forward-loop. This is in effect a ping pong, so it should play at any speed/pitch without popping/clicks. Down side is it is twice the size and requires a bit of prep work…plus side, it frees up an LFO :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey — not a terrible idea at all, actually!

I don’ think its that important in this instance, and its nice to work mostly with the hardware — but i wouldn’t rule it out in the future.

Thanks!