How to control all rytm sounds with a single piano roll in DAW

I would love to have a single midi track in say Ableton that can send midi signal on 12 different midi channels, one per rytm’s sound. Say C2 = BD, C#2 = SD, D2 = RS etc…

This is basically what Maschine software does, and I really like to see the whole pattern in a single view (midi track/piano roll), see screen below

Can you think of a way of doing it in Ableton with rytm?Or maybe a different approach to achieve it?

The lowest 12 Midi Notes available 0-11 will control the Track Pads at the default Pitch - this works on any channel

If you want to pitch tracks melodically you will need to do that separately, or control OSC pitch, which isn’t the same as changing the Note value

This sounds like something that would be trivial to set up in M4L

3 Likes

With a drum rack + midi pitch device + external instrument device ?

“trivial with m4l” - what resource / method did you use to learn m4l? I would love to have that level of skill and would have made use of it many times over the years but don’t know where to start.

I’ve been using Max/MSP for a long time, since before Ableton existed. The comment may appear dismissive, but in the grand scheme of the fun things one can do in Max this would be a very straightforward thing to conceptualise and realise. Easier in Max than in any of the commercially available Midi ‘translators’ probably. The only way to learn is to start patching basic things or taking apart the help examples and browsing the relevant forums

Yeah, I guess so. Anyways, I will have another look at m4L when time comes.

1 Like

Great, was not aware of the low end of the midi notes in ableton being already wired up.

And what would be your favourite method to record the pattern, i.e. the midi clip programmed inside Ableton, into the rytm?
I was reading i should disable Overbridge and set midi/usb then activate live recording and let the pattern play in Ableton (don’t have my rytm with me atm unfortunately…). Is that it?

Also wondering if i program the clip in Ableton unquantized / off-grid will the rytm also record it that way?

1 Like

avoid ableton or computers and that’s not an ironic DAWless comment - i buy that gear so the computer gets taken right out of the picture as it is buzzkill central ( i envy those who can and do get along with them) - so in answer to your question, whatever works on the given device