How to config NRPN on CC SELECT page?

Yes, I am still having problems :confused:
I think that er1 and es1 changes a bit from one to another on this matter but any help will be great :slight_smile:
Thanks

If you state ONE very specific thing that you are trying to achieve then it will be easier for us to offer advice.

2 Likes

Echoing a question found higher up in this thread:

Can you only control one NRPN at a time? I tried the ā€˜obvious/obvious-that-it-wouldnā€™t-workā€™ method of putting CC99 and CC38 in the CC page twice with two different values and the results were predictable: both data entry parameters only responded to the most recent value of the most recent of the two CC99 knobs that was turned.

It depends what you mean by ā€œat a timeā€.

It will likely depend on the exact way that you put your parameters on the destination and value pages. Can you tell us or show us what you entered, for example as photographed in the fourth post in this topic?

Youā€™ll see that the top four parameters are outlined as recommended in the thread. It works as it should. It even works without the MSB set up since I assume it just defaults to 0 (the MSB Iā€™m using for now).

On the bottom I tried to use cc98 and cc38 again, aware of the redundancy of the other parameters already being there.

To elaborate my question, I would like to be able to control multiple NRPN parameters on the same channel from the CC value screen in real time, and for p-locks. For example, have one knob governing an envelope attack while another governs the release.

Itā€™s because most of the parameters on the device Iā€™m using (PreenFM2) are NRPN instead of CC, which Iā€™m much more familiar using.

Might state the obvious but NRPN require most significant byte and also less significant byte (MSB and LSB). Those have to be sent along from the same physical control.
I believe you cannot have control over these with DT. A dedicated MIDI controller would be adequate.
I had to go through this for Toraiz AS-1.
Thanks @PeterHanes for having helped by the way.

1 Like

You will have a hard time doing this because if you want to manually send more than one NRPN you will have to manually send the four CCs that comprise each NRPN in the correct order before sending a different NRPN.

Try it with one NRPN first, using the top row of four data knobs.

Your success may also be restricted by the PreenFM2ā€™s response to NRPNs - I donā€™t have a PreenFM2 to test.

2 Likes

I am trying to use my Digitakt to sequence my Electribe EM-1. Specifically, IĀ“d like to parameter lock some of the parameters on the Electribe, and assign the Digitakt LFO to control some of the parameters on the Electribe. I manage to sequence notes from the Digitakt to the Electribe, however, I am not able to control any of the parameters on the Electribe from the Digitakt. I have tried to set up the Digitakt with 99, 98, 6 and 38 on the CC select page. and then tried various values on the CC values page, to no avail.

The Elelctribe manual states the following on NRPN messages:
ā€œNRPN messages are assigned to each knob and key of the EM-1ā€™s Effect/Delay section (except for Delay Edit). To edit, first use NRPN (LSB) [Bn, 62, rr] and NRPN (MSB) [Bn, 63, mm] (control change #98 and 99) (rr, mm: lower and upper bytes of the parameter no.) to select the parameter. Then transmit Data Entry (MSB) [Bn, 06, mm] and Data Entry (LSB) [Bn, 26, vv] (control change #06 and 38) (mm, vv: upper and lower bytes of the value, together expressing 16,384 steps) to set the value. The EM-1 uses only the MSB value (128 steps) of the Data Entry message.ā€

Does anyone know how I would set up the Digitakt to be able to control the Effects/Delay Section on the Electribe from the Digitakt? It might be obvious from the manual, but to me this is a bit confusing.

Am I understanding the manual correctly in that ONLY the Effects/Delay section can be controlled by NRPN? So not possible to control the Level, Pan, Synth Cutoff, Synth EG Time etc on the Electribe form the Digitakt?

Welcome to the forum!

No. You have misread the text in the manual. According to the MIDI implementation document published by Korg, dozens of synth, drum, and effects parameters can be controlled by NRPN messages. None can be controlled by simple MIDI Control Change messages.

Therefore to control the EM-1 from the Digitakt, you are going to have to replicate NRPNs from CCs as described earlier in the topic.

First, make sure that you enabled transmission / reception of Control Change messages in the EM-1ā€™s Global mode MIDI filter settings.

So, according to the description given, you likely need only three CC messages to make an NRPN message that the EM-1 will respond to: CC 98 (NRPN LSB), CC 99 (NRPN MSB), and CC 6 (data entry MSB).

Letā€™s take an example of an effect parameter to control: delay time. According to the MIDI implementation document for the EM-1, the values for CC 98 and CC 99 for delay time are 6 and 96 respectively, and obviously the value of the delay time in CC 6 can be whatever you want.

The LFO may not work, but it is worth trying after you have been able to parameter-lock some values successfully.

Hi, does anybody know why NRPN is 98/99 and data 6/38. I donā€™t know where these numbers come from. The BS II manual says only OSC 1 waveform ā€“ NRPN ā€“ 0:72 ā€“ sine, tri, saw, pulse.
I donā€™t fully understand an idea of NRPN so Iā€™ll be greatfull for any clarification.

Hereā€™s an often-posted explanation of NRPNs:
http://www.philrees.co.uk/nrpnq.htm

Thank you for the link. It was helpful. Do you (or anybody else) know why digitaktā€™s LFO doesnā€™t want to change the NRPN values? Is it because of p-locks of NRPN values? Thanks in advance!

I got this working by p-locking the 99/98 values and then setting the LFO to control the data values (6/38), though with MIDI tracks only having one LFO I was only able to modulate the 38 setting, or CC Value 4 (good enough for what I was trying to do). Then, I made sure that the trigs were triggering the LFO. See if this helps?

Thank you very much! It works! :slight_smile: I p-locked all 4 values. It was obvious mistake, but I didnā€™t pick that up.

Hi, did you try using the LFO (for NRPN) with the yellow trigs (aka trigless trigs :)? I put just one red trig on the first step (my synth is working in the arp mode) and unfortunetaly the LFO works only on that trig. Iā€™m not able to make LFO work on further steps. I put yellow trigs (lfo.t is on) but it does not work. I will be grateful for the help!

Hey! Yes, I had used yellow/trigless trigs and had the LFO working.

Just now, I removed the trigless trigs and placed a regular/red trig on step 1 to test, and it worked, UNTIL it hit a trig that was on a separate MIDI track. After removing all trigs from the other MIDI tracks which also were on the same channel to my synth, the LFO worked for all steps in the sequence (it was free running).

Here is a simple setup you could try?

1. MIDI A set to the proper channel you want to send to your synth
  2. Trig on step 1 of the sequence (make sure LFO.T is on)
  3. On CC Destination page, set the top four destinations to 99, 98, 6, 38
  4. On CC Values page, P-Lock the values you want which correspond to 99, 98, and then 6 (if you want to make fine adjustments with LFO on CC4), or 38 (if you want to make course adjustments with LFO on CC3). In other words, because there is just one LFO on the MIDI tracks we can only modulate CC3 OR CC4
  5. On the LFO page, set the destination to CC3 or CC4 and adjust depth, speed, waveform, etc. For this test I set the LFO to be free running

Make sure there arenā€™t any other MIDI tracks talking with your synth to test the above. Perhaps this is the issue you ran into? Even if it is, I had two MIDI tracks with LFOā€™s both running and modulating different controls on my synth, so itā€™s possible to do.

Best profile pic on the forum.

1 Like

Hi, first of all I want to thank you very much for your help and your time. I did everything as you wrote. Unfortunately it still doesnā€™t work. In same case it was even worse. Iā€™ll explain everything below. Maybe you (or someone else) will find a solution. It is important to me since I have the Ultranova synth (no chance for something better now like hydrasynth) and its modmatrix is ok but the list of potentially modulated parameters is limited. That is why I would like to use LFOā€™s of DT to modulate some parameters (which mostly are controlled via NRPN).

You recommend this setup to try:

1. MIDI A set to the proper channel you want to send to your synth
  • DONE
  1. Trig on step 1 of the sequence (make sure LFO.T is on)
    ā€“ DONE; but any change occurred only when sequence ā€œtouchā€ this red trig (i.e. at the beginning of the sequence); the change was held in the same value and LFO did absolutely nothing until the next ā€œtouchā€ this trig; It seems like free running LFO was working only for the step with the red trig.
  2. On CC Destination page, set the top four destinations to 99, 98, 6, 38
  • DONE
  1. On CC Values page, P-Lock the values you want which correspond to 99, 98, and then 6 (if you want to make fine adjustments with LFO on CC4), or 38 (if you want to make course adjustments with LFO on CC3). In other words, because there is just one LFO on the MIDI tracks we can only modulate CC3 OR CC4
    ā€“ DONE (P-Locked 99, 98), but I wanted to modulate CC3 and when I P-locked CC4 LFO stopped doing even this what I mentioned in the point 2 above.
  2. On the LFO page, set the destination to CC3 or CC4 and adjust depth, speed, waveform, etc. For this test I set the LFO to be free running ā€“ DONE
  3. Make sure there arenā€™t any other MIDI tracks talking with your synth to test the above - DONE

Iā€™m starting to fear that Iā€™m just giving you bad advice and making things worse!

Your issue with the change being held the same value and not changing until hitting the trig again sounds like a Random (sample+hold) waveform was selected for the LFO. Is that the case or no?

Another thing that could impact that is if your speed multiplier (or depth) is too low, it may not trigger the changes fast enough to notice. Or in the case of a square or sinewave, it could hold at the top and bottom of the wave for a while and not change.

As for the MSB value (NRPN 6) being modulated, Iā€™m now wondering how that would work if the LSB value is held the same. Did you p-lock CC4 to 0?

I plugged the DT into my DAW and watched on a midi logger to verify the NRPN changes were being sent and do see the expected results. Can you try something like this?

(Happy to take this discussion to a DM if need be)

:sweat_smile: