How 'standalone' is Push 2?

Is my reasoning correct when I say the Push 2 > MPC when looking for a sampler with pads in an Ableton centric workflow?
The rytm’s pads / sampling are not sufficient and I work in Ableton most of the time, slowly switching to a hybrid workflow. The MPC workflow (tried the force) is not for me at all due to it being just vastly slower than Ableton.

Downsizing even further now and I feel like a push 2 + Ableton can do whatever an MPC does. My focusrite has loopback anyways so I can sample ‘directly’.

Also; I believe I can use the Push 2 to send midi notes to the Rytm to draw a basic drum pattern and then dive into the Rytm to make the pattern cooler?

Push 2 is great, very good for creating custom Drum Racks and testing them out with macros. That said, for the purpose of sending MIDI notes to the Rytm, dunno if you might be better off sending interesting patterns with a Max for Live sequencer like MDD_SNAKE, ML-185 or Strokes. Sadly the Push 2 doesn’t do generative stuff which for me is where the value is with sequencers. On the other hand, there is the ability to ‘p-lock’ steps on the Push 2 which is super cool for adding variation to velocity, gate etc.

However the edges get real sticky with that rubber coating and erm, it’s a bummer as the device is SO well made in every other respect.

Thanks, yeah im keen on going more hybrid but i would never consider not using an elektron next to it so keen to understand the overlap and value

Out of all the Elektrons I personally found the Analog Four and Rytm to provide the most value with a hybrid setup. Nothing in software replicates their sound, the sequencing is second to none for an instrument and they pair nicely with Overbridge. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After using the push for a month i am still using it either as a session view controller or to send midi to the rytm since i prefer the pads. Clip editing etc is just quicker on the pc.

The main reason i like it tho is for chopping samples and playing those. Repurchasing an octa might proof the push useless for my case but we’ll see. Its a good concept but hard to switch from mouse and keyboard.

enough to keep me from buying an Akai Force, but the real reason is that without either warp marker manipulation capability or a portably convenient easy access formfactor I just don’t see the point of the Force. At this point I would probably stop using ableton if it didn’t have warp marker manipulation, so an ableton emulator that doesn’t have warp markers of all things is just baffling to me.

2 Likes

I love that you can use the Push for some things, and keyboard+trackpad for others. For me it’s a feature, not a limitation.

So many times with the Octatrack I wished I could use a keyboard to rename samples, etc.

With the Push, I can use each input method when appropriate. I don’t really understand the need to do literally everything in the Push.

1 Like

does anyone know if you need to register Push 2 in order to download any possible updates? thinking about buying one secondhand, but unsure if the license transfer is essential and therefore something to potentially look out for.

Nope you don’t have to register it, all firmware updates are delivered via the Ableton software itself, so as long as you keep your live updated your push will stay updated too .:+1:

2 Likes

Awesome, good to know, thanks for the heads up :pray:

1 Like