How 'standalone' is Push 2?

Oh really ? I thought you could use the rows of 8 small buttons below and above the screen to switch between the 16 banks . Thats really a deal breaker for me (and a money saver :slight_smile: ) ! I was expecting a user friendly way of progamming VST without looking at the computer. [/quote]
I believe it’s true, but I’m not sure. That’s why I will wait for someone to test plugins on Push :smiley:

Actually the bottom row says Bank A, Bank B, Bank C etc so minimal left/right scrolling - just jump to the bank you want

It might be Bank 1, Bank 2, etc - either though a letter or number

Thats true! The first 8 banks have corresponding buttons for instant access. Once you exceed 64 mapped out controls then it goes to an arrow for additional banks. If you need direct access to more then 64 control encoders then you’re a mad scientist. Also when using a 3rd party plugin you customize the layout and it couldn’t be easier.

MM doesn’t have those dedicated buttons. I gotta scroll through pages on Monomachine too.

Can’t go from Filter to the third LFO page without hitting the Edit button At least three times! or from synthesis page to Effects page, etc. etc.

Rytm and A4 are better designs in that regard. That’s one of the reasons I am keeping those two instruments. :slight_smile:

How many dedicated ‘bank buttons’ does the AR have?

the push uses the top 8 for access for the devices, so you get the primary device + 7 others ( say FX devices), then the bottom 8 for Banks.
(this will be much better when you can name them, hopefully soon!?)

so with AR/MM etc do you get access to 15 banks for 8 (including FX?)

of course perhaps the ‘issue’ is (many) VSTs have many more controls than the AR etc, in this case its a matter on the Push of organising and ensuring the most needed controls are easier to access.

Its also arguable that detailed sound design when your changing lots of parameters is easier on the PC/Mac, but isn’t that also part of the argument for Overbridge?

In this regard I tend to use Push more for refining/tweaking/performance.

of course Id welcome some refinements on the Push, and Im sure now with more screen space Ableton will continue to develop it.
(e.g. they could use shift + bank for another 8 banks? though perhaps people will then complain you need 2 hands?)

But of course it all comes down to your own personal workflow etc.

guys no point in going crazy comparing… the push 2 is absolutely sick. been using it for a few days now… absolutely sick.

Hi, sorry for the delay,delay,delay…
this is a post from the other push threads ( maybe we could merge them ).
I could do some testing with OB and Push. It’s a really great combo.
The best way to use (imho) is to use them synced with OB. Iam using the A4+RYTM sequencers and their interfaces for sounddesign and creation but Push to perform afterwards. You can record your performance macros in Live and i think this feature is really missing in OB (btw standalone). It’s easy to build up, sampling, layering all from Push. Using Live’s instruments is a breeze whilst using VST is a pita compared to Live’s integration. But this is not Abletons fault. As you ca see on the pictures i posted there are developers (N I )who utilise the VST SDK better than others. Because of this some VST will let you integrate them more easily and with a better representation of their parameters than other . Akai Advance suffers from the same dilemma.
Conclusion: Time will tell how many developers will adept the way of integration, but using Live’s instruments could’nt be better. I think i will use them exclusively with OB. Ultimate hybrid workflow (imho)

[/quote]
This is a setup I am seriously considering (already have the RTYM, A4 and Live, just need Push 2).
Do you find that you are using the elektron sequencers? or Live? or both?
Just trying to get a sense of the workflow.
Will probably hold out until the OS updates with the new sequencer features, give them a whirl, then make a decision.[/quote]
Any info on this?
Ableton sequencer or elektron (or combo) ftw?
Preferring hardware control of A4/RYTM, or macro control of OB via push?
How is the editing of piano roll style melodic clips with push?
If anyone has seen good videos of integrating Push with hardware they wish to share then :+1:

[/quote]
This is a setup I am seriously considering (already have the RTYM, A4 and Live, just need Push 2).
Do you find that you are using the elektron sequencers? or Live? or both?
Just trying to get a sense of the workflow.
Will probably hold out until the OS updates with the new sequencer features, give them a whirl, then make a decision.[/quote]
Any info on this?
Ableton sequencer or elektron (or combo) ftw?
Preferring hardware control of A4/RYTM, or macro control of OB via push?
How is the editing of piano roll style melodic clips with push?
If anyone has seen good videos of integrating Push with hardware they wish to share then :+1:
[/quote]
I am using the elektron sequencer + the ablton sequencer, best of both worlds. The Elektron sequencer is so advanced it would be a shame to not using it (imho). Same goes for hardware control,. You could control your elektrons with push but you would easily get to the 128 parameter limit in Live, of course there are workarounds like M4L but it’s not very confortable. Both boxes have dedicated controls and i wish all my vsts would have a dedicated controller. I did not encounter any timing issues using both sequencers, for me it’s the COMBO ftw :joy:
The melodic sequencer is straight forward, there are many vids on YT showing all features, many of the vids show Push mk1 but the melodic sequencer ( drum sequencer too) is the same on both Push + Push2
I really like this vid from cdmtv

And here a video from Tarekith:

thanks

Hi, sorry for the delay,delay,delay…
this is a post from the other push threads ( maybe we could merge them ).
I could do some testing with OB and Push. It’s a really great combo.
The best way to use (imho) is to use them synced with OB. Iam using the A4+RYTM sequencers and their interfaces for sounddesign and creation but Push to perform afterwards. You can record your performance macros in Live and i think this feature is really missing in OB (btw standalone). It’s easy to build up, sampling, layering all from Push. Using Live’s instruments is a breeze whilst using VST is a pita compared to Live’s integration. But this is not Abletons fault. As you ca see on the pictures i posted there are developers (N I )who utilise the VST SDK better than others. Because of this some VST will let you integrate them more easily and with a better representation of their parameters than other . Akai Advance suffers from the same dilemma.
Conclusion: Time will tell how many developers will adept the way of integration, but using Live’s instruments could’nt be better. I think i will use them exclusively with OB. Ultimate hybrid workflow (imho)
[/quote]
Regarding using VSTs with Push, have you tried installing the Options.txt mentioned in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0lkm4Wokzc&feature=youtu.be
I don’t have Push, but I have a Novation Remote SL which does a similar thing with parameter access, and I installed it last night and it did a stellar job of extracting all the parameters of a VST for access in my controller, or at least pulling out a lot that were previously hidden; unfortunately, no such luck with accessing the new features in Live, so it looks like Push is still on the horizon for me.

Yes, i tried the Options.txt and i am using it at the moment, but i think it is not optimal because of the “randomness” of some parameters.
Sorry for complaining about first world problems. It is not as bad as i may have seem to be. You can rearrange the parameters to your liking and save it and that is a real plus.
I am missing some functions on Push 1, too. Some functions are not accessible (e.g. Filter ON/Off)

Thank you for the video i have totally forgotten with the show device slots option :+1:

Map to siblings :wink: such a timesaver

Bumping up this thread in 2019. How are things now?

Long time push 2 user since its release in 2015. It’s ok, but I’ve learned to swap it out and use a novation SL MkIII. The pads are good for drumming and the keys are good when you slice a loop up and need to play slices . Am I gonna sell the push 2? Probably not. But an SL MKIII and mouse and keyboard feel better to me now. Live itself is such a power program to begin with.

You’re probably wondering how I do my step sequencing of drums ? I just draw it on the grid with my mouse and very velocity as I see fit

1 Like

And I’ll bump in 2020…
Sadly, I sold my Push 2 in 2016.

Had this been around back then, I probably wouldn’t have:

In action:

3 Likes

Honestly those ppl in Ableton are real lazybones…

So many years passed and it’s still buggy, still “not really standalone”, still so many things missed…

They release another 11 version and what? Randomness per step + a couple of granular plugins? WOW!!! only for 300$ …

Still bugs while copying steps with automation / editing non quantized / swing quantized steps (they’re invisible on controller )

Still impossible to edit basic midi clip parameters like /2 X2 invert reverse randomize

Still not all functions of native plugins are visible on Push, not talking about M4L

Still impossible to load M4L LFO / ENV / plugs and assign them to parameters on the fly

Still impossible to copy / paste devices

Still impossible to copy / duplicate multiply steps in sequencer, still impossible duplicate only one instruments notes in drum rack (made a 16 step pattern, double it into 64 steps, want to add another instrument, program 16 steps and after always need to get back to mouse since you can’t just copy only that instrument steps ).

Impossible to save instruments / racks / clips / projects… and load projects…

I can continue forever…

While it’s really nice, and Live is quite nice, and all could be nice together, ppl @Ableton just do nothing instead of improve it to have really seamless standalone “grovebox” “composition station” experience … I don’t know what can make them finish it…

3 Likes

well, I think you summed it up pretty neat :+1:

1 Like

I would really like to be wrong and see all my complaints disappear in a magical way and Push became what it had to be from the beginning… but there’s still a lot to update about Push unfortunately.

I really don’t understand why it’s not happening. Are developers and designers of Push don’t use it and implement all functions “just by default”, just guessing it would be enough without checking the workflow on a real job? All my complaint come from real experience with it… I start to work on composition, want to do something basic I really need (like edit multiple notes, or invert midi clip ) but just can’t and have to get back to the screen…

However I started to use Push a lot again after a big break and kinda enjoy. It really offers a lot comparing it to “mediocre groovebox”. Just sad that it doesn’t provide “ultimate” composing standalone experience that it definitely can do with just firmware updates and deeper integration.

1 Like

I experience quite the same…
A year or so I started to work more and more with Push2… I really like it, but often I wonder why I have to switch back to my mouse and keyboard for tasks, that seem to be doable with my Push controller…
I hope for some decent updates… There is room to improve

1 Like