How 'standalone' is Push 2?

For a simple Ableton-as-midi-centre setup much cheaper controlers should do it.

The display of Push 2 does not provide something like a piano roll, or, maybe I have missed something. There is the step-sequencer mode for drums and instruments, which shows colored pads for notes, but this is not as efficiently to be used as a real piano roll.

mpc60champ on instagram :wink: ?
Anyway, do you use Live to sequence your samplers? And if yes, how do you like it? Iā€™m searching for a good and flexible MIDI sequencer, I donā€™t want to use any audio related stuff in Ableton, do you think it would suit my needs? Iā€™m currently using an OT and itā€™s feels quite limiting in MIDI sequencing sometimes.
But I want to stay away from the computer as much as possible of course, and with Push 2ā€™s screen it could be the solution for me.
[/quote]
Guilty. Whatā€™s your handle on instagram?

Iā€™ve been so caught up with push 2 that I have yet to use my E-RM box to sync with my MPC60 II or SP1200. From what I hear I can have a jitter free sync session. Right now Iā€™ve been jamming with my voyager and push 2 when I have the time. Maybe I should sync that? :confused:

This weekend if I donā€™t get too drunk I will try and make a cheesy youtube video with my macbook screen off, push 2 on, and a sampler synced to the E-RM multiclock box. I finally have a good tripod to angle things so we will see my friend.

Push 2ā€™s screen is a Godsend because I no longer have to look at my screen as much. Maybe to convert my slices into a drum rack instead of a simpler session. I like doing this because each drum rack pad can have itā€™s own filter modelling. I donā€™t like all my slices sharing the same filter.

I watched a training/demonstration video of someone recording vinyl into Live and using Push 2. Looked, and sounded, loads of fun! Iā€™ve never really done anything with vinyl before but I do want to get a nice turntable.
Any tips?! A good turntable to go for? I dont need any of that USB stuff and I dont want a ā€œDJā€ table either, just something that sounds good and will sample well! And is cheapā€¦

I watched a training/demonstration video of someone recording vinyl into Live and using Push 2. Looked, and sounded, loads of fun! Iā€™ve never really done anything with vinyl before but I do want to get a nice turntable.
Any tips?! A good turntable to go for? I dont need any of that USB stuff and I dont want a ā€œDJā€ table either, just something that sounds good and will sample well! And is cheapā€¦[/quote]

I am using this turntable since 2011 for sampling without issues. I swapped out the cartridge for a shure m97xe. Stock cartridge is decent. Just make sure you grab a cheap record it can break in on. The preamp is built in. So you can hook it up to your stereo and start listening or grab RCA to 1/4" connectors and hook it up to your sound card. You can even use the usb function and rip sounds from there. I prefer the soundcard method overall.

Sweet! So you can assign and resample using only Push and no mouse then yeah? That along with everything else = Iā€™m sold :wink: [/quote]
Hi, yes and no :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As thetechnobear pointed it out,

You can not assign (as it is now) track sources or direction via the hardware (Push).
You can assign sources or direction for the audi tracks before you use Push. Like you would do for Overbridge when you want to record the audio from the plug-in.

You make this for one track once (Audio Track 1 - Audio from - Resampling) and save it as default set.

When you start a new set you have always a resample Track ready for your needs. This is not ideal and i hope they make an option to select audio sources (PXT Live does this on Push 1) on Push 2. That is the only reason i kept my Push Mk1.

When you do a little preparation, compared to Elektron gear itĀ“s negligible :imp: you never need to touch the mouse or keyboard. At some point you will switch to mouse and keyboard because there are tasks that you do not want to do with Push, just for the comfort. Like renaming hundreds of clips or tracks or making makros or racksā€¦ [/quote]
yeah PXTLive was useful for some things like this.
I probably should point out, you can also control the audio (&midi) input/output from max4live (m4l) , and that ā€˜user interfaceā€™ for this can be available on the Push.
but its a bit ā€˜customā€™ and you are limited to what can be presented to the Push displayā€¦ but if you have some workflow that is common, its M4L is good at streamlining it.

Last night I ran some test to try and emulate a MnM with Push 2. I used a MacBook Pro 2011 2.4 i5, Ableton live 9.5 standard, NI Massive and a drum rack. I had Massive on 3 separate midi track plus a track for my drums. My laptop was gasping for air, it simply could not handle it. I had great results with a Drumrack, Impulse and 1 midi track for Massive. Impulse was so much fun to use with Push 2. I was Pā€™locking away and getting some funky melodic rythms. As long as i keep it simple with 1 drum rack 1 soft synth and a couple of Impulse tracks my laptop should be stable enough to handle long sessions.

mpc60champ on instagram :wink: ?
Anyway, do you use Live to sequence your samplers? And if yes, how do you like it? Iā€™m searching for a good and flexible MIDI sequencer, I donā€™t want to use any audio related stuff in Ableton, do you think it would suit my needs? Iā€™m currently using an OT and itā€™s feels quite limiting in MIDI sequencing sometimes.
But I want to stay away from the computer as much as possible of course, and with Push 2ā€™s screen it could be the solution for me.
[/quote]
Guilty. Whatā€™s your handle on instagram?

Iā€™ve been so caught up with push 2 that I have yet to use my E-RM box to sync with my MPC60 II or SP1200. From what I hear I can have a jitter free sync session. Right now Iā€™ve been jamming with my voyager and push 2 when I have the time. Maybe I should sync that? :confused:

This weekend if I donā€™t get too drunk I will try and make a cheesy youtube video with my macbook screen off, push 2 on, and a sampler synced to the E-RM multiclock box. I finally have a good tripod to angle things so we will see my friend.

Push 2ā€™s screen is a Godsend because I no longer have to look at my screen as much. Maybe to convert my slices into a drum rack instead of a simpler session. I like doing this because each drum rack pad can have itā€™s own filter modelling. I donā€™t like all my slices sharing the same filter. [/quote]

Haha I knew it! Iā€™m just joostoftoday, but Iā€™m not that active there.
I loaded the trial version of live an hour ago and had some fun doing MIDI sequencing stuff, BUT!
The Clock. Just horribleā€¦ We are probably kind of spoiled with the Octatrack tightness, but that Live clock was just horrible. I can totally understand that youā€™ve bought the multiclock! But is there any way except for buying external gear?

Cheers, had spotted that one - seems a solid entry choice. The Pro-ject turntables caught my eye too but I might go hunting for an old second hand effort. Having done research I have an idea on some turntables to keep an eye out for. Plus finding a hidden gem is part of the fun isnā€™t it!

The more I stare at Push 2, the more I want it.

If you had to sell something to buy the P2, would it be the A4, AR or OT?

Ahhhh - I said I wasnā€™t going to chase the new shiny thingā€¦

But messing around with P1 and 9.5 has me gassing for the P2.

Maybe I should go home and jam out on my Elektron gear

The OT would be the expendable one in this set up considering the AR and A4 can integrate into Live.

Push 2 is pretty bad ass, game changer shit.

And itā€™s a treat with the AR and A4 via OB. Iā€™m not using the sync though, just plugging in midi notes.

I wish I had the patience to write a Push 2 v OT review or something but basically -

Push takes a little longer to get up and running but the possibilities are endless and hella fun.

The OT is up and running right away, but you hit some obvious limitations such as FX and track count. Still hella fun with the on-the-fly sampling and crossfader!

Sell the OT? No. Itā€™s a classic piece of hardware ā€¦

Push is pretty bad ass though

Gotta say, the combo between ar a4 and push is pretty awesome. I almost sold my a4 for a minute there, but after another night decided this abes/elektron trinity is mint. Still, the rytm cant recieve syncd program changes from Live. The a4 can via multi map mode, but this feature is missing from the rytm and it subsequently lags by 1 or 2 bars. I really, really hope this comes as fix/feature in the rytm update, then this trinity really would be complete. Push/live as the brains + extras with the huge sound you get from rytm and a4. That said, its important to note that push still requires an interface and a daw/laptop. The OT in that way is like what the iphone was to the mp3 player, digital camera, and mobile phone. Its an all in one. Sure itā€™s not as infinite as Live, but with Push you really need 3 boxes. And thats 5 boxes with the ar & a4 in the mix. But for me, push is shy of just a couple features that would make it be virtually standalone, and thats loading and saving live sets from push, routing/monitoring control, and some deeper rack controls. From there all bets are off :slight_smile:

I was gonna sell my AR when i started messing with push but I reconsidered. One of my main gripes with AR is that the pads are shit (imo). But now that Iā€™ve mapped a drum rack to each AR pad, itā€™s pretty amazing. Push has me reconsidering my whole rig. And thatā€™s a good thing.

Touchable on iPad running on Wifi and a pair of wireless headphones would allow you to jam anywhere in your home.

At the moment TouchAble doesnā€™t do everything thing the Push2 does.
You canā€™t manipulate samples.
At the moment the update to 9.5 has rendered the browser (for presets/plugins etc) unusable - itā€™s disappeared. But the developers say that theyā€™ll get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thats correct, but there is one big drawback which all touchsurfaces have in common, you do not get any haptic feedback, which seems to be crucial for this type of task. IMHO
I tried them all -> Lemur, Touchable, Griid, LiveControl2, Conductor, LivKontrol, TouchOSC.
https://www.ableton.com/de/help/article/control-live-mobile-device/
They all struggle with lack of haptick feedback.
But i use Touchable as my ā€œSet Overview-Toolā€, here it really shines.

I am going to replace the Octatrack with Push 2 in the dark trinity set!
So it would be Overbridge all the way! Analog Four, Analog Rytm & Push 2!

Iā€™m finding the pads are beginning to break in and soften up a bit as time goes on. But they were stiff as hell when i first got it.
But yeah your right, the rytm drum rack combo is deadly. Muting on the rytm is actually far better than on the push, and then you have scene mode and performance mode to spice it up (things you cant do on push).
They really make a great combo.

Also the thing I love about the rytm is its native drum synthesis.

This is something live doesnt really have apart from a hokey m4l drum machine they bundled one year.

Honestly Iā€™m making a pact with myself. No new gear until iā€™ve written a bag of tunes with this setup. Until all 3 units are beat up and broken.

RockinĀ“all day and night here :joy:

[/quote]
Awesome! You should write a review when the new OS updates of A4/AR are there? And it seems you also have a OT to compare with Push 2!
Finally Overbridge makes sense to me and i am looking forward for Live Push 2! :smiley:

[/quote]
This is a setup I am seriously considering (already have the RTYM, A4 and Live, just need Push 2).
Do you find that you are using the elektron sequencers? or Live? or both?
Just trying to get a sense of the workflow.
Will probably hold out until the OS updates with the new sequencer features, give them a whirl, then make a decision.