How reliable are you finding OB so far? Here are my thoughts

Yes, I am most definitely having the same issue with Apogee Maestro 2 Software. The control panel for Apogee goes bonkers for about 30 seconds then its just done. Which is kind of a bummer because I use that to monitor incoming audio outside of Overbridge. I think it is super close and I have been quite happy with over bridge, especially on Ableton but its a little weird on Logic. I especially like that I can record direct from the ext. inputs on the A4, so coooool!! I always like to run synths through the A4 because the reverb kicks so much ass, so that has been pretty handy. Soon, I believe it, soon it will be awesome.

Couple of reasons to use Live’s sequencer. As you mentioned, using the clip envelopes for additional (and completely customisable) envelopes and LFOs is pretty cool.
Secondly, if you want long evolving sequences (particularly with pads), using chords, and notes/modulations which last >64 steps I find this far easier to do in Live. I know there are workarounds in the elektron sequencers to achieve some of these things but I have rarely gotten them to work as intended. I find this far easier to do in a DAW piano roll.
I reckon the fact that you can use the elektron sequencer alongside the DAW sequencer is a really cool feature of OB.

[quote="“Simon”"]

That’s why you are having issues unfortunately.
At the moment Overbridge does not work with older Apple hardware, notably those running Core 2 Duo or Xeon processors. We hope to fix this soon.[/quote]
OP here with a new computer and some updated thoughts. So I picked up a late 2012 Mac Mini i7 quad core 2.3 (for a screaming deal!!!) because this was on my short to-do list anyway. Seeing how Simon confirmed that OB basically didn’t work on my old computer, I was very curious to see how it would perform. Bear in mind that at the moment it has 4 GB RAM; 16 GB upgrade is already on its way from OWC…

Overall and at a glance, it’s much, much better. I haven’t had a lot of time with in OB and the new computer, and to be honest, I kind of scared of putting a lot of investment into it. After Simon’s response to my initial post, it was easy to put it aside and get to work old school. The days that I spent trying to get OB to work quickly vanished into new found productivity.

Anyway. Here are my thoughts after 2 hours of mucking around:

– sync now appears to be very tight. Can’t find any evidence to the contrary, and it’s vastly better than regular Ableton midi sync; this was definitely not the case before!

– zero drop outs in 2 hours of putting it through the paces

– zero occurrences of the weird bit-rate reduction sound

– haven’t run into the double BPM trip out, but then again that only happened to me once before with my previous system

– it hasn’t yet crashed Live

So that is all good stuff! Very encouraged.

Now for the downside…

– it still freaks the f out of Apogee Duet Maestro software. Turning one of the Elektrons on/off or in/out of “overbridge mode” causes the software to do that rapid fire cascading window thing. And then it crashes constantly. This is very annoying!

– nothing new, well documented already, and most likely on Elektron’s short list for the next version, but the Akeys recorded level is ridiculously low in OB. Barely anything visible waveform wise. Rytm, otoh, is just right…

Those are my thoughts for now. Definitely encouraged and on the right track!!!

I’m hella jealous of your guys’ sync. Mine’s definitely not on beat i.e. not tight :frowning: Curious if there are settings I’m missing

[quote="“Simon”"]

At the moment Overbridge does not work with older Apple hardware, notably those running Core 2 Duo or Xeon processors. We hope to fix this soon.[/quote]
Any chance the forthcoming update will address this?
My 2008 Xeon 8 core is now having issues with my Duet 2 and AR/A4 being all happy at the same time. OB seems to do something to the Duet 2’s USB that it is not happy with, even though they are on separate USB busses.

My 2008 Xeon 8 core is now having issues with my Duet 2 and AR/A4 being all happy at the same time. OB seems to do something to the Duet 2’s USB that it is not happy with, even though they are on separate USB busses.[/quote]
Don’t know yet, Adam, sorry.

My 2008 Xeon 8 core is now having issues with my Duet 2 and AR/A4 being all happy at the same time. OB seems to do something to the Duet 2’s USB that it is not happy with, even though they are on separate USB busses.[/quote]
The Duet 2 is not a class-compliant audio device… so it depends on the driver and that’s up to Apogee for supporting Overbridge!

The Duet 2 is not a class-compliant audio device… so it depends on the driver and that’s up to Apogee for supporting Overbridge![/quote]
Don Spacht from Apogee says right here that Duet 2 is a class-compliant audio device.

Fortunately I got things working, it just took hours of trouble shooting, a couple SMC resets, and figuring out exactly which USB busses on my Mac Pro to distribute things across. I’ll be adding a USB PCI-E card soon to free up the main busses soon.

The Duet 2 is not a class-compliant audio device… so it depends on the driver and that’s up to Apogee for supporting Overbridge![/quote]
Don Spacht from Apogee says right here that Duet 2 is a class-compliant audio device.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9022322-post2.html[/quote]
This count’s for the Duet for iPad & Mac and not for the Duet 2 (Mac only).

This count’s for the Duet for iPad & Mac and not for the Duet 2 (Mac only).[/quote]
Duet for iPad & Mac is referenced earlier in the post.
Then, a separate reference is made… and I quote, "The Duet 2 is a class-compliant device "

This count’s for the Duet for iPad & Mac and not for the Duet 2 (Mac only).[/quote]
Duet for iPad & Mac is referenced earlier in the post.
Then, a separate reference is made… and I quote, “The Duet 2 is a class-compliant device”[/quote]
The problem is that it needs Maestro software to get it up and running! This also makes me wonder if RME and Metric Halo audio interfaces are going to work without trouble in combination with Overbridge?

I am using the Sound Devices USBPre 2 and this interface can work stand alone and don’t need any kind of software to get it running!

Both my Babyface and Metric Halo 2882 are working fine with Overbridge, apart from having too much latency. No conflicts between the card and both the AK and the AR. Both are connected to a 2011 iMac with Overhub, Metric on the firewire port(for now). Ableton is my daw, and the MIO console, Totalmix and Overbridge all play nice(but slow).

I own a Quartet and have owned a Duet in the past. Apogee Maestro is not a driver, it is a software utility to monitor signals and, optionally configure routing on Apogee devices.
You can plug the Duet / Quartet into a brand new mac and have it working without installing anything at all.

Ok, i stand corrected it’s been a long time since i used the Duet 2.

Now i only use the Apogee Symphony I/O and the Sound Devices USBPre 2.

Hey AdamJay - I’m wondering if the problems you were having between your Duet 2 and the AR/A4 in OB mode are similar or related to what I’m experiencing? Essentially, OB seems to constantly crash my Duet, necessitating a force quit/restart. And then whenever I turn on an Elektron device, the maestro 2 software wigs out and the window opens and closes rapidly a few times. It’s really annoying!

If this is indeed the sort of trouble you were working out, I’d be very grateful if you could share what you found as the fix!

[quote="“Zwolf”"]

Hey AdamJay - I’m wondering if the problems you were having between your Duet 2 and the AR/A4 in OB mode are similar or related to what I’m experiencing? Essentially, OB seems to constantly crash my Duet, necessitating a force quit/restart. And then whenever I turn on an Elektron device, the maestro 2 software wigs out and the window opens and closes rapidly a few times. It’s really annoying!

If this is indeed the sort of trouble you were working out, I’d be very grateful if you could share what you found as the fix![/quote]

I had some issues getting my Duet 2, Analog Rytm, Analog Four, and Push 2 to all live happily together on my 2008 Mac Pro 8core Xeon with 10.9.5.
In the end, it required an SMC reset of the Mac Pro, plus keeping the Duet 2 and Push 2 on a seperate USB bus from the Elektrons.

Maestro still freezes up once in a while, but not like before (with the crazy flashing of the Maestro window) when I was messing with a Multi-TT hub for the Elektrons and Push 2. It took some trouble shooting but I figured out that the Duet 2 would run fine the moment I unplugged the Multi-TT hub that had the Elektrons. I only started trying to use that hub after I got Push 2.

I’m going to spend the $20 to buy a 4 port USB 3.0 PCI-E card, just to free up the built in USB busses and get the rest of my peripherals
(iLok, iConnecMidi2+) on their own bus.

That Multi-TT hub, along with my AR, A4 and with Duet 2 on its own USB port works fine on my 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8ghz C2D running 10.10.3.
Haven’t run Push 2 with all the others on that machine yet, though. Just by itself, and of course it works fine.

Other than that one hiccup that required some troubleshooting on the Mac Pro, I actually have two functionally stable Overbridge configs working on what should apparently be troublesome Xeon and C2D processor Macs

So much USB, sometimes I regret selling off my Metric Halo interfaces, but the Duet 2 sounds pretty damn good for the $300 I paid on eBay.

Moral of the story, do an SMC reset, and try using your Elektrons with Duet 2 direct USB (no hub), and, if possible, on seperate USB busses (not sure if the Mac Mini has more than one)

I am running Overbridge now and the latest MacBook Pro 13" with El Capitan. It just works and no problems so far!

MacBook Pro 13" model begin 2015
Elektron Overdub with USB 3.0 cable on MBP
Elektron Analog Four & Rytm on Overhub
Sound Devices USBPre 2 on Overhub
Ableton Push 2 direct on MBP with Live Suite
iLok 2 key on Overhub

If this is indeed the sort of trouble you were working out, I’d be very grateful if you could share what you found as the fix![/quote]

I had some issues getting my Duet 2, Analog Rytm, Analog Four, and Push 2 to all live happily together on my 2008 Mac Pro 8core Xeon with 10.9.5.
In the end, it required an SMC reset of the Mac Pro, plus keeping the Duet 2 and Push 2 on a seperate USB bus from the Elektrons.

Maestro still freezes up once in a while, but not like before (with the crazy flashing of the Maestro window) when I was messing with a Multi-TT hub for the Elektrons and Push 2. It took some trouble shooting but I figured out that the Duet 2 would run fine the moment I unplugged the Multi-TT hub that had the Elektrons. I only started trying to use that hub after I got Push 2.

I’m going to spend the $20 to buy a 4 port USB 3.0 PCI-E card, just to free up the built in USB busses and get the rest of my peripherals
(iLok, iConnecMidi2+) on their own bus.

That Multi-TT hub, along with my AR, A4 and with Duet 2 on its own USB port works fine on my 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8ghz C2D running 10.10.3.
Haven’t run Push 2 with all the others on that machine yet, though. Just by itself, and of course it works fine.

Other than that one hiccup that required some troubleshooting on the Mac Pro, I actually have two functionally stable Overbridge configs working on what should apparently be troublesome Xeon and C2D processor Macs

So much USB, sometimes I regret selling off my Metric Halo interfaces, but the Duet 2 sounds pretty damn good for the $300 I paid on eBay.

Moral of the story, do an SMC reset, and try using your Elektrons with Duet 2 direct USB (no hub), and, if possible, on seperate USB busses (not sure if the Mac Mini has more than one)[/quote]
Thanks for the help, Adam. Unfortunately nothing seems to be fixing this for me. I did the SMC reset and tried running the Duet, AR, and AK on their own hubs directly on the mac mini - a luxury I could hardly afford given all the USB shit I have - but even then, I still got the crazy flashing Maestro window and frequent Duet crashing behavior.

I’m guessing it’s an issue that only Apogee can resolve and I’m not going to even submit a ticket to Elektron as I’m sure this wouldn’t be something they’d look into - and I don’t blame them, they can’t be responsible for everyone’s different soundcard…

Fortunately in the scheme of things, I’d rate this as an annoyance and not really a major one. The process of force quitting Maestro and reopening doesn’t take that long, and then I’m good to go for a bit of work. Still, wish I could resolve it!

Wolf contact Apogee about this, they are very helpful!

Tomorrow I’ll wil try Overbridge on a 27" iMac (OS X Yosemite) from 2011 with the Apogee Symphony I/O in USB mode.

Yes, at least with the Duet 2 you can still get a lot functional use just from the hardware big button, and assignable touch screen buttons. I don’t really need the Maestro software as I don’t often change any of the settings that can only be changed from Maestro.