How often do you take time off?

I’m about to head on a plane for a few days of R&R from the craziness that is my life. This year has been incredibly overwhelming, both of my parents have been hospitalized numerous times, I moved across the US to help them out with my wife. This is the first time I’ve taken off some time from work in a long time.

The year of 2019 has been filled with very little mucking around with music. I was working a lot in my previous city, but would still manage to eek some time to record. This year I’ve recorded nothing, turned down more ‘gigs’ than I have been offered in the past 2 years. I’m not trying to complain, but it’s just not really how I thought my life would be at this point. This is probably the longest I’ve gone with out fooling around in depth with music in close to 20 years.

If you feel like sharing, how long was your break? What did you do?

4 Likes

You have to accept it rather than frame it as a bad thing. We all know how life ebbs and flows. I’ve got a dropbox full of demos from my writing partner that I’ve not touched in almost a year. Life has gotten in the way for both of us. We used to play live 2-3 times a month. Now, we haven’t played in over a year. He’s had a baby, I’m involved in other things, and we both have full time careers. It will come back around. We speak regularly. Granted, I do other music, so it’s not directly the same as your situation… but also, I’ve not done any of my own music in quite some time. I’m playing with other people, supporting their vision, but I’ve had to accept that I have no headspace for my own stuff at the moment, and trust that it can come back around. I carve out a little space for it, but if I’m tired or distracted, I let that time slide. I’ve been here before, and I’ll be here again. I think time off and space is completely part of the creative process.

TL;DR - “What did you do?” I accepted it as part of the process.

5 Likes

Question too tough to answer but enjoy the R&R!

1 Like

life is what happens while you plan other things … (john lennon)

3 Likes

In the case of John it wasn’t life what happened, but worse.

1 Like

I had been making tunes with software from 2001 - 2008 (nothing serious) , but had taken time off from production and switched to trying to write vocals for hiphop / rap projects from 2011 - 2014. 2009 - 2010 didn’t do anything. So for 2 years I literally didn’t touch anything music related. During my hiphop phase, I didn’t produce any tracks, just downloaded other people’s tunes and added vocals on top.

So in reality, I took 2 solid years off from all music. And like 5 years from producing tracks. It was only when I had bought a Korg EMX 1 did I get back into producing. Now I’m focused and trying to make content that is way better than before and I’m proud of my music more than I’ve ever been, but still ultra critical.

Give it time. It sounds like you love music, you just have more pressing family matters at the moment. When time allows, music will be there waiting for you. I came back and am happier than I ever was before in relation to my music!

1 Like

I’ve been screwing about with bleeps and blips since 1999 I guess. I stopped from 2008-2012 or thereabouts. Just got burnt out I reckon. Sold everything. I got really into health, lifting weights, mountain biking.

The bug bit me again around 2012 and I slowly started recording and then finally released some work I was proud of in 2015. I tend to be really burnt out after a release though. I just released an EP and I’m now fat, tired, and pretty unhealthy. Working long days at a desk, staring at a screen, and coming home to do the same with music, can be taxing.

I think I’ll take a break soon and concentrate on health for a while - physical as well as mental. Actually, when I look back on things I remember being way happier during my hiatus. I love making music but I tend to get too obsessed, go into mad scientist mode, and neglect everything else in life.

I ain’t getting any younger. Making music isn’t everything, even if it might have felt that way when I was younger. I’ll pick it back up when I feel it. I don’t think anyone should beat themselves up for taking breaks. We might make music on machines, but machines we are not.

6 Likes

I’m a hobbyist so my “breaks” won’t appear to be big deals.

Back in my teens I was in a band and we were convinced we’d make it (as we all do). When they got into punk and I much preferred synths they turfed me out when I was about 19/20. That hit me pretty bad and I ended up disillusioned and not really doing anything productive for years.

As I turned 30 with 2 kids (I think they would’ve been 3 & 1) I realised I was still trying to live the life of a 20 year old and knew I needed to sort myself out. I couldn’t be arsed with the gym or “regular” stuff folks do so bought myself Maschine which at the time was on some killer sale and from there been a mostly happy hobbyist since.

My output isn’t prolific or particularly good but I know I’m getting better. I can hear it and that’s quite a nice thing. So as I get older and go through periods of zero creativity due to time, kids, work, or some borderline fugue state i know it’s just s giant wheel that’ll turn in time. I’ll go off and do other things. Gaming, cycling or even gardening!

Other than with my football team (Falkirk) I’ve mellowed quite a bit over the past 5 years really. I guess what I’m trying to say is that like music production, managing yourself during “breaks” takes practice too. You do get better at accepting it.

5 Likes

I feel ya Bankie, my da has been in hospital for 4.5 months and counting at the moment after a stroke, its really draining mentally & physically for everyone. I’m very much looking forward to a break at some point, that much is certain. pencilling in a week off in Sept if possible. music has taken a back seat but I’m still obsessing about it in my time off and getting li’l bits done :+1:t3:

hope your parents are doing ok.

2 Likes

Its pretty freeform. I just really felt a need to vent to a community of strangers. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Yeah that’s no joke, it’s definitely draining, hope he recovers, had some family friends that experienced strokes and it went all over the place with their experiences.

2 Likes

Nice thread idea - particularly as i’m on day 0 of 12 days off, and badly needed a break.

I’ve a holdall with me that contains an OT, a microfreak, an axoloti embedded in a wooden control box, a Korg 2s mini fx thingie, an op1, an OP-Z, a microphone, a Zoia, a qy100, a black box, a bag of wires. More than enough to create amazing things or at least enjoy trying.

Main plan: make use of the OT arranger (never done it before though had an OT for years n years), get creative with Zoia and OT, sequence black box with OT, random couplings, make a song, make a nice melodic piece.

Estimated total time over 12 days time off to indulge any of this: a mere 6 hours

It’s nice to have options even if you don’t get to take them!

3 Likes

I hate that part.

1 Like

i used to try and fight it, but i’ve stopped that. i try and get wins when i can / celebrate / move on.

though, it’s important be busy and have other things other than your lonely self and music to keep you busy.

i think the best music is music that comes from someone who’s lived a bit.

with 2 kids, a new career after an old career and new city near in-laws time has not been something that’s been freely available and i’ve stopped waking up early in the morning. i look forward to some time off myself before 2019 ends.

ps use all that PTO people!

2 Likes