How much do you REALLY love the Octatrack?

Seeing how your OT doesn’t turn on maybe you should send me your EPP! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You don’t want it to get lazy having nothing to do… :joy:

It can be busy with other midi things, don’t worry for it. :wink:

1 Like

Fine…
Just offering my services! :wink:

Getting to grips with OT2 and i would summarize like this: should have bought a mk1 years ago.

7 Likes

HAHAH!

Can this be banner for the Octatrack sub forum ?

4 Likes

Why I’ve no sound anymore ? Is my Ot faulty ?

2 Likes

Enough where I sold it after a week… weak…

Durn durn durn…
Another OT bites the dust…
Durn durn durn…

I really really love my Octatrack.

It is a really strange thing in my setup. Sometimes it does nothing but provide a clock for the other machines. Sometimes it is the only thing making a sound. Sometimes it is a single track, sometimes I wish there was another beside it. When I first got it, I had no idea how it would fit in. Now, I can’t really see how I’d do without it.

As others here have mentioned, the Octatrack opened up for me when I stopped trying to program it or load in predefined loops. For me, the Octatrack begs to be touched. When I simply program it, I agree with many that criticize the machine in that it feels stale. Too static. Certainly Trig Conditions help this, but for me, the Octatrack opens up and becomes an indispensable part of my setup when scenes get involved. The eponymous performance part of the sampling workflow. Working with a DAW is great for detailed work, but I feel the music much more when I’m composing with Octatrack because I have to touch it. If I don’t, It doesn’t breathe.

Lately, I’ve been setting the Octatrack in front of my modular. It is an ideal companion for the modular synthesizer, and I can build a living breathing track in very short amounts of time.

5 Likes

Had mates round last Saturday night and decided to get out of my study and into the kitchen for some space. First time I had used the OT more as a mixer with laptop (MAschine) and amped guitars going in. It was also the first time in the years I’ve owned OT’s at various times that I was like a God and flying about on the bloody thing like a pro (caveat - in reality, it was nothing fancy but my mates minds were blown haha). It really sunk in how much the UI has improved with the Mk2 for me and I was cheesing.

I don’t use my OT enough but that’s going to change.

Wrong place for this but the A4Mk2 I ordered arrived and I have to say it just hasn’t wowed me from a UI experience like the OT2 did. Sure there are improvements but some how the OT2 just speaks to me in a way the OT1 never quite managed. I can see myself returning the A4 in next few days but the OT2 remains a keeper. Love it.

2 Likes

Here’s a funny story:
When I first got the OT I was pretty impressed and excited about the thing after a few weeks once I realized what it could do. I was up at some hot springs with some friends soaking in a big pool of warm spring water in the section where it’s OK to talk. I was talking a lot about the OT to my friends as they were into music too.
This older half drunk guy was listening but I didn’t know, and pretty soon he was asking me all sorts of questions about it.
He was so curious, more than my friends even and he wasn’t even a musician. He probably said Octatrack a couple dozen times in an hour, and just kept saying, “Octatrack, man that’s so cool, Octatrack”…
When I left he was thanking me and said he’ll never forget about the Octatrack and how cool it was.
True story, and the guy new nothing about making Electronic music and wasn’t a musician…
:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

ha! I like that one.

When my pal realised what you could do with some basic recorder trigs and a guitar he really started to understand why I bought the thing. Shame he only realised that at kicking out time! Always next time though!

1 Like

It was hilarious, even my friends later were like man that drunk guy was so overly excited about your new looper thingy… :joy:

Near the end of the soaking after we were done talking about it, occasionally I’d make eye contact with the guy and he’d look at me and just say “Octatrack” kind of in a funny voice… Haha! :joy:

7 Likes

Oh you intoxicated elders and your truth speaking. Known a few Drunk Old Jedis in my time

1 Like

That guy indeed “really loved the Octatrack” and he’d never even seen or heard of one…

Maybe he ended up buying one and finding his way into this forum…?

2 Likes

If your around here man, show yourself and I’ll buy you a beer! :beers:
No fakers, I’ll ask trick questions for proof! :wink:

3 Likes

So I’m closing in on my first week of having an Octatrack and I can say this is absolutely the best piece of kit I’ve ever owned. I haven’t found it particularly difficult to use (granted I’ve had a Rytm for a year and a half and I did a lot of reading and tutorial watching before it arrived). Very excited to get to a point where muscle memory takes over like it has with my Rytm.

Sound quality has been a non issue for me. I’ve been live sampling synths, vinyl, my iPad, and everything in between. It feels like an endless box of possibilities right now. Hopefully that lasts.

2 Likes

I’m in an abusive relationship with mine.

6 Likes