How many samples, how much memory

Sorry if this has been covered before, or if it’s a rtfm issue. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many samples you can upload to the +drive - in numbers I mean, I realize that there is a limit to how much memory you can take up.

Which leads me to part 2 of the question, how much memory do we have, and is there a way to see how much memory is left on the drive?

Oh, and what happens if you fill it up? Will it just not upload more, or will it start overwriting samples.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 samples, 64kb.

/ snicker

Yes. It’s a RTFM issue. Or RTFWebsite: https://www.elektron.se/drum-machines/analog-rytm/#specs

You should probably sit down with the manual and/or google “site: elektronauts.com” your question.

(A non-manual bone-throw: There is no way to see how much memory is left and, afaik, it will not let you upload more if you hit the limit)

Its roughly

1 GB +Drive sample storage total
127 samples and 64mb memory for samples per project (48khz mono format I believe?)

2 Likes

I admit to being lazy!

Thanks I know the specs pr. project, was mostly curious as if there was any way to see how much memory was left on the +drive.

cheers!

df -hT when mounted on a linux box? Nah not sure really :stuck_out_tongue:

df -hT when mounted on a linux box? Nah not sure really :P[/quote]

I think the answer simply is “no” :slight_smile:
Cheers!

As many of you also have, I’ve just snagged the Samples from Mars mega deal, and am now swimming in samples.
Going back to the OPs question, that was never actually answered. Do we know for definite that there is no limit to the number of samples the +drive can hold?
I know it is 1gb total.
I know it is 128 samples/64mb per project.
Your average drum hit sample is ~20kb, so 1gb should be able to hold ~50000 of those…
But has anyone got >4096 samples on their RYTM?

I don’t want to waste time filling my RYTM up with endless tiny 707 kick drum samples if I then hit a limit at 4096…
First person to tell me to RTFM gets a lump of over-ripe brie through their letter box.

Ta!

Ive always believed it was 1gb total not limited by number of samples.

Thanks mate. I’m pretty sure that is the case.
However, given how laborious sample management is on the RYTM, I really don’t want to have to waste all the time of organising and uploading, just to find out that I hit a limit and have to re-prioritise which samples to load and essentially start from scratch.
So I’m keen to know if there is anyone who is rocking 5000+ samples without issue.

Cant help you…ive prob only got 250 samples

some time later!

i have just seen the samples from mars pack…

im looking at the same issue, although have yet to download the samples.

how did you get on storing the samples in your rytm?

To be honest I’ve probably not put enough sounds on the +drive to be close to any potential limit, so I dull don’t know. :confused:

Reality check :
Am I right to assume that the only way to use a sample is to load it from the Project Sample Pool, so you’re effectively limited to 128 samples (per project) ?
So there’s a big difference between Sounds and Samples :

• Sounds can be selected either from the Sound Pool or the +Drive. The Sound Pool is useful to make Sound Locks.
  • Samples cannot be loaded directly from the +Drive, they must be loaded to the Project first.
    Sorry for the noob question, but after years of usage it’s still not so clear to me…

From my experience, you can select a sample straight from the +drive to be loaded on a pad and that sample will be automatically placed into the sample pool of the project.

When selecting a sample from the +drive you can choose which slot of the sample pool it will be assigned to.

1 Like

Yeah so basically there’s a real limit of 128 per project. I’m about to make a sample-only workflow, so I need to pick them quite carefully. I’ll go for 128 sample chains I guess.
Thanks !