How many cores can Ableton actually use?

So I’m out for a new MacBook and I’m trying to figure out how best to spread my money around, more cores vs more ram etc I know more ram is generally what’s going to be what’s more useful for Ableton and plug ins but I’m not sure at what number of processor cores become pointless.
Generally I’m using Ableton, Fabfilter bundle, Roland cloud, waves bundle, Arturia bundle and some native instruments stuff.

So with that in mind how many cores of the m3 would be useless and also same with ram how much can Ableton access max?

To date, Ableton only utilizes the performance cores on m series computers.

2 Likes

Sorry to sound stupid but this is my first non-intel Mac what’s the different between performance cores and others?

Efficiency cores are less powerful cores. So pick one with the most performance cores as possible. And Ableton only uses the performance cores. So imagine a computer with 20 cores total but 18 of them are efficiency, versus one with a 4 core total where all four are performance cores, in such nonexistent scenario, the 4 core computer would beat the 20 core one using Ableton

2 Likes

Do we know if they have improved the efficiency core performance in Live 12?

I haven’t heard anything about that yet. Would be good too know. I’m hoping they’ll update it eventually so the program will make use of all cores and not just performance. But who knows if they even plan to do so. :man_shrugging:

In apple’s lingo which are performance cores and which are efficient?

For example something like this, with that processor and maybe 36gb of ram instead of 18gb, what would this translate to for usable power with Ableton and plugins?

there was a video someone tested multiple daws and iirc ableton used only the performance cores (which are the physical cores) and the M3 has less of them, will try finding a link

think it’s this one

1 Like

I’m speaking apple lingo when i say performance/efficiency cores.

Wikipedia:

Scroll down to cores

This one has 10 performance and 4 efficiency cores

I see. So if I got the 11 core m3 I’d really be working with 5 usable cores with Ableton?

That kind of makes me want to look at a PC…For $2600 I could probably get a decent gaming PC probably with much more processing power and ram…I’ve just always had such good luck with Apple and stability for my studio computer.

So what about Ram, does anyone know how much ram Ableton is capable of accessing? The base models are 18gb and I was going to upgrade to 36gb

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron Plus for that reason. You get ~$3000 worth of performance of an Apple product from a ~$1200 laptop. That’s my opinion of course

2 Likes

Yea I’m really on the fence now knowing that Ableton doesn’t fully utilize all the cores it seems like I’d be paying for power that I won’t have access to…I’ve been in the Mac ecosystem since 2007 with the plastic MacBook and since then it’s been rock solid. Until my last MacBook I had a 2019 MacBook Pro and it was working perfectly fine then one day I shut it down and a few days late I went to power it up and it never powered up, took it to the Apple Store and they said I’d need to replace the logic board which would be at least $700…:investing into a computer that’s maxed out at 16gb of ram (since the MacBooks now have the HDD, ram etc all baked in) I’m thinking I’d be much better off investing in a computer that will last me years.

It would be really strange to switch back to PC after all these years but the lack of using all the processing cores is really off putting when I’d be dropping $2500+

If not going max m3 or M2, you’re better off with a m1 max instead. The base mac studio m1 has 8 performance cores at a very affordable price on sale.

3 Likes

It’s funny cause I’m on the opposite end, where I’m switching from windows to apple for the first time, just waiting for the release of the m3 Mac studio :sweat_smile: i can’t wait for a silent and powerful machine that’s going to last about 10 years, so in the end they are cheaper imo.

1 Like

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuborum.

14 Likes

So wait essentially an M1 Max or M2 Max is going to give me more usable cores than a M3 pro?

I plan on spending $2000-2500ish and I really want to get something that’s going to last me like 10 years. ATM I’m looking on Amazon and I’m seeing M1 Max and M2 Max MacBooks within that price range and as a bonus would be 16in instead of 14in (not a huge deal but definitely a plus) also I’m seeing 1TB HDD instead of the 512 in the M3 base models.
I hate how convoluted this is, I wish I could just say hey I want a fast processor with as many cores as Ableton and use, as much ram as it can use and the largest harddrive I can afford at the $2500 price point and just narrow it down. It was easier when they went with intel chips

I got one better for you. M2 PRO (12 core version) also has 8 performance cores vs the 6 from the m3 pro. They also have a binned version with 6 cores for the M2 pro though so make sure you pick the 12 core one. So either M1 max or M2 pro (12c version) will be better than m3 pro for Ableton Live.

4 Likes

Thanks for that, I’m taking a look at the m2 pro based MacBooks now.

So now the big choice is do I stick with Mac and pick up the M2 Max orrr do I switch back to the dark side and go PC with something like this:

https://a.co/d/13c56tA

Or I stay with Mac and pick up something like this:

https://a.co/d/gzb8dw7

1 Like

M3 MacBook Air just got released…

I am using a MacBook Air M1, Mac mini MB 2 both with 8GB as well as as a MacBook Pro M1 with 16 GB and all of them work really well with Roland Cloud, Arturia stuff and NI Komplete 13 or whatever that is and Maschine as well. I do think 16GB is better but did not have a problem with the 8GBs either.

Apple silicon is sick.

Before the M1 I had a Mac mini I9 with 16 GB using like 100 W of power and the fan blowing constantly and it still wouldn’t be close to what that cheap Mac mini performs.

Edit: the MacBook Air M1 doesn’t even have a fan!

1 Like