How long can samples be on a digitakt?

Hello.

I have an SP404 which is great, lots of sample space. BUT, the problem I’m having is with fading in and out and controlling sample levels relative to one another, which is why I was considering a digitakt. But… I was just told by a friend that the sample lengths are quite small.

If that is the case, does any one know of an alternative.

Thanks!

AFAIK the limited sampling time is only when you are sampling directly to the Digitakt and the limit is 33 seconds. But you can import longer samples that you’ve recorded elsewhere (not sure of the size limit on these though).

2 Likes

From the manual :

1. SAMPLING
    Digitakt is a very competent and accessible sampler. It can sample audio from external sources via the external inputs, and it can also sample audio internally from the Digitakt itself. The maximum sampling time is 33 seconds and this is always available even if a project’s 64 MB of RAM memory is all used up.
3 Likes

So basically a combination of the previous two answers. Max sampling length directly is 33 seconds and the max sample length that can be used in a project when imported (but only one sample in this example) is whatever fits into the 64MB limit with 16-bit, 48kHz mono WAV files.

I think this is around 11 mins iirc, which can of course be shared between multiple samples.

Alternatives: Octatrack, MPC, Blackbox, etc etc

3 Likes

I think it is something around 11 minutes for a project so that is probably the limit for external sample import… I suppose people could do the pitch up pitch down trick if you are loading them in off a computer because there is so much pitch range downward on the digitakt now, probably would sound pretty gnarly too.

@xyx M8 tracker has board line unlimited sample time (sd card streaming) and works great in this sort of clip arrangement style personally I use it for this and digitakt for a more one shot approach. Some people do get good results with digitakt in this style but it does feel a bit like you are fighting the machine… I feel like for this style the sample time is actually fine but the 1 gig +drive limit is actually the more annoying thing as you can fill it up quicker than you would think with long samples and then you have to get into juggling projects and samples onto the computer more often. Currently the transfer app is actually quite good for this though.

2 Likes

Thanks. Seems like the 1GB for the digitakt is too limiting for me.

1 Like

Is max sample length for Digitakt still 33 seconds?

But Model Samples is 11 min (per project)?

M:S can hold longer samples?

As per craig’s response in Feb 22:

3 Likes

Dont confuse max sampling time, with maximum storage space per project.

Also, model samples cannot actually sample.

3 Likes

You can workaround the time limit by feeding the DT a sped up sample , then pitch it down.

9 Likes

head-exploding.gif

1 Like

This is the old way of doing it when samplers had tiny amounts of memory.

2 Likes

I did this with some long pad sounds, works really nicely. At -12 semitones you don’t lose a lot of perceptible sound quality. -24 it become really noticeable and -36 is pretty gnarly. Can make whole sample chains of pads and long effects that sound ludicrous until you slow them down haha, such fun.

2 Likes

I imagine one also gets the added benefit of cutting down on overall sampling time. Saves a lot of time to sample 33rpm records at 45!

2 Likes

The year is 1995. You have been supplied with an EMU ESI32, and ENSONIQ ESQ1 and a box of floppy disks (5). You must write an album of music. Good luck with your quest.

8 Likes

LOL I know, its hilarious to read that when I have an akai s900 that has 10 seconds of total sample time. 1 Gig is an amazing amount of space.

1 Like