How is octatrack at finishing full tracks?

I wonder has anyone ever tried using the OT for mastering duties? In theory load in the song to be mastered into a static track on tr1, and same on track 5, use filter and compressor for track fx, then use neighbor machines for additional eq, filtering compression etc. I never tried this but it strikes me that it would be possible to set up a multiband compress/eq/filter by careful routing and using track 8 as master track. Scenes could be used to A/B between original and mastered version, obviously you’d need to record to an external device.

I might try it sometime.

4 Likes

Why ? I always record my tracks internally…
We talked about that in Audiofanzine french forum, it’s is interesting, especially multiband compressor. It would be interesting to choose Filter Base / Width for Bass / Mid / High…

I’m thinking of the length limitation, although for shorter tracks yes why not record internally :slight_smile:

In a mastering case, as you’d use Statics, max recording, without samples in Ram :
16 bits : 8m28s (508s)
24 bits : 5m39s (339s)

Yes, I know but I regularly have tracks over 6 minutes so most of the time I’d just record externally.

And you record in 24 bit. :slight_smile:

Sometimes I record for 20 minutes or more :grin:

2 Likes

Yep I wish Elektron would sort it so that we could record to CF. Then we could record all 8 tracks to stems for mixing later and 20 mins worth of jamming if we want. I wonder if it’s physically possible within the OS?

That sounds awesome mate!

That’d be huge of course !
Don’t know if it would possible to write several files at the same time on the CF.
Just 1 long file would be great : RC 505 can record up to 3 hours on a microSd card !
We don’t even have auto save option for Record Buffers.

Thanks!Ahh some good times in there with the Octa…Memories…

1 Like

At band practice we use a piece of software called Capture to record 24 Stems at once via a large desk
no midi or grid on capture —its a stem recorder only
About 1.5 hours of music a session to to be edited ----planing to transfer short heavily edited and prepped stems at -12db into OT2 for experimentation

2 Likes

Hi there,

what are your workflow (working method) to finish track from compositon to mastering or mix on OT ?
Do you finish (composition to finalization) track on octatrack or do you do mix and “master” on daw after created track on OT ?

Write a pattern, copy to next, change stuff, repeat until happy with composition. OT configuration changes per project/style/other gear used etc.

Yes. Compose and Mix in OT. Record to tascam feild recorder or straight to computer.
“Master” recorded track with software (eq, compression, limiter blah blah)

6 Likes

@Microtribe
Thanks for answer
Do you have link of your track using only OT?

Sure, here you go. Tracks 4, 5, 6 ,7 and 8.

12 Likes

@Microtribe Really nice track!

1 Like

Love the tracks!

1 Like

Thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

Mine is crap at finishing tracks. I program in loads of beats and stuff and say “finish it, octatrack!” and it NEVER DOES.

Anyway, I tend to bounce a take into my computer and edit/reiterate from there. Much easier in the DAW.

9 Likes