How is it possible that this 12V DC battery powers my 6V OT MK1?

Yep. We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t.
same as MD MK2 / MM MK2

hmm, seems like an odd change for them to make…
perhaps they switch later mk1 to 12v? so then just labelled it up on the mk2

(perhaps moved to using same regulator board as other elektron models?)

A post was split to a new topic: Cable

I see what you are getting at.

This is a late manufactured OT MK1, produced after the 12V A4 MK1 and Rytm MK1s were produced.

@Olle ?

yeah, we should be very careful here if this is the case… as might make an earlier mk1 go pop :frowning:

Some better resolution pics can be found here:

2 Likes

Good point, de-listing the thread from public view now that I’ve tagged the expert parties

great link!

From that post, the power board:

P1173 183NL is the power inductor. is that what I should be looking at ?
Here is the data sheet for that part:

It’s rated for 4A DC

(I am not terribly electronically savvy beyond my knowledge of the difference between amps/watts/volts… ac vs dc…)

@tnussb would the 12/24 max here apply to voltage?

(from the linked data sheet)
30 PM

The power inductor is just part of a DC-DC circuitry.

The 12.24 are physical dimensions (max, because they may vary a bit).

1 Like

of course.

Well my ignorance is showing. I’m going to have to rely on people with more experience than I.

My knowledge is quite rusty after more than 2 decades not involved with that stuff. I guess I can’t help without digging much deeper into the circuitry (not enough time yet).

1 Like

If the DC is regulated by dissapating the over voltage as heat (a shunt regulator), running 12 into something that expects 6 could work for the short term but burn out over time because of over temperature. (BTW this is a warning!)

A chopper sort of DC to DC conversion or other active regulators, would be more resistant longer term.

I surrendered up my EE degree years ago though.

1 Like

Which part is the voltage regulator?

The part labeled WE3510 looks to be a transformer with capacitors near by.
And that part # is labeled differently in the image @darenager posted at the beginning of this thread.

Is it this?

I remember someone from Elektron explaining that they decided to have OT mk2 be compatible with 12V to homogenize the PSU.
Everyone operating the dark trilogy once made the mistake to power an Analog machine with OT mk1 PSU.

Not answering your initial question, but Ill look for @Olle’s words :wink:

1 Like

Is that a zener diode in the NW of the photo? You can use a Zener to shunt excess voltage.

Voltage regulator ICs often look like this:

And often that metal part to the right gets connected to some metal for heat disappation.

??

you tell me, :slight_smile:

better image:

Also, thanks everyone for your time and knowledge.

1 Like

Another better pic:

1 Like

Save these photos, though hopefully you don’t need them for a repair later. I’m out.