How hard is it to use an Octatrack?

The only thing keeping me from buying a used MK1 is what I’ve read on forums in the past about it being hard to learn/use and not intuitive. But then I watch a video of someone using it and it looks like a blast. I had no problems learning how to use a Digitakt.

Entirely subjective old mate.

I find making a boiled egg difficult at times, but then found the workflow of the analog 4 to be a breeze.

I’m on the wait for a new it MK2, and I haven’t ever touched one before. But I view it as an instrument,and with that comes a need to learn it ,which will take a lot of time but that’s ok as I’m spending over a grand on it.

Probably best to look at it like this- it’s going to take time to learn it,but the money you’re spending on it justifies the time you’ll take to learn it.

And if time isn’t your friend, go the software route :smile:

4 Likes

I find the OT to be very simple to grasp, it just does a lot.

8 Likes

I think it suffers from the same issues that the Blofeld does, with respect to its UI in that a handful of people don’t gel with it, and it gets to be known as obtuse.

I’m really itching to get my grubby hands on it and spend the dark winter months learning.

4 Likes

Honestly, that depends! If you can be happy in knowing that you’re gonna HAVE to RTFM and learn the basic concepts before you make any headway, you’ll be fine.

It’s SO flexible that you really have to use it to know how hard what you want to use it for is!

2 Likes

If you like the Elektron workflow, I don’t think you’ll have any trouble. You’ll have to read the manual a few times, and refer to it continually for the first several times you try to do anything beyond the basics, but it isn’t difficult. As JuanSOLO says, it’s just so capable, so there’s a lot to learn.

Get one, you’ll be amazed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Easier than any DAW I’ve used.

But also a completely different tool. What I mean is, something that almost everyone here probably uses all the time is actually a lot more complicated than the OT, we’re just used to it so it doesn’t seem that way.

Hell, a spreadsheet is more complicated than the OT.

Not to diminish the learning curve, but don’t be scared off by that, once it starts to click it all suddenly makes sense really quickly. How long it takes to click will differ from person to person depending on your style of working.

EDIT: I just checked my receipt and I haven’t had mine as long as I thought, I actually got it in the first week of May this year. I moved last summer and didn’t touch any gear from the last week of July until the first week of September, so really I’ve had maybe 6 months of experience with it, with a big gap in the middle just as I was starting to really get a feel for it, and there’s a lot of features I still haven’t used much but I definitely started to feel really comfortable on it and started using it as the hub for everything I’ve been doing since sometime near the end of September, although I still have a long way to go before I’ll reach the point where I don’t have to think about it a all. For comparison, I didn’t feel like I had approached any sort of technical mastery of the MPC2000xl until I’d been using it intermittently for a couple years and then intensely (10-20 hours a week) for about a year and a half.

3 Likes

The Octatrack is very easy to make beats on and use as a drum machine, etc. It gets complicated in two primary ways. The first is that it can do a lot of advanced functions so sometimes it takes a bit of time to properly memorize the workflow. Many people could use the Octatrack for years and never mess with these advanced functions. Sampling for me is easy now but it was very frustrating for a long time. Even now if I don’t use the Octa for a month I come back and am initially confused on how to quickly sample.

The other way the Octatrack feels complicated is harder to ignore. There are times that you can find yourself a bit … lost - no sound, weird sound, etc. It is all explainable and logical but at the time it can be frustrating. Even with many years of Octatrack usage there are times it takes me a moment to figure out what I’ve done “wrong”. As an example, yesterday I had a sampled beat that sounded very choppy - as if extreme time stretching was being done. However I checked and I had no time stretching enabled, no slices, nothing. It made no sense. Eventually a realized that I had the lofi effect AMD on. This was the cause. I had used the lofi effect on the pattern I wrote last (and had since “morphed” into my current pattern). In the process of making a new pattern out of the old I had forgot that AMD was turned up.

3 Likes

Early on it wasn’t uncommon for the media to say the OT was Ableton in a box. Forget that nonsense and you’ll likely be better off.

I think the OT is actually very simple if you are new to hardware sampling or are able to completely forget the paradigms used in hardware samplers over the last 30+ years. You might get pissed (US English or proper British English colloquial definitions are equally relevant here :joy:) if you’re an old school sampler user that is comfortable with keymaps, multi patches and velocity cross fades, etc and you happen to be someone that isn’t open to an entirely new approach.

I came from this old hardware background myself and was annoyed and confounded for a bit. I would recommend this: forget loops, buy this magic box and load up some single hit drum samples into the audio pool. Run track 8 as the master track and get busy. Add loops once you get your head around how to make it work as a simple XOX machine. Doing exactly this is what made all the difference for me. It has some bizarre limitations but is damn brilliant as is and I appreciate it for what it can do.

It isn’t often that we are blessed by something as powerful and unique as the Octatrack. I think Elektron made an instrument for the history books.

1 Like

I must concur with konputa - treat the Octatrack as an xox drum machine and you’ll love it. The Octatrack is actually very underpowered as a traditional sampler. Elektron way over-hypes things and is basically anti-customer. Their silly tagline about “sampling as an artform” has little truth to it. Any old school sampler is way more powerful than the Octa for most things. The modern things the Octa is better at a computer is better still at. I still do like the Octatrack very much but not for the sampling.

2 Likes

That’s part of what attracted me to it.
I like to say it’s like Live Lite in a box.
Only 8 Audio tracks, 2 effects each
8 Midi Tracks
Macros for UI controls
And some other tasty tricks Live doesn’t even do that well, like automation, plocks, cool crossfade/scenes function.
It reminded me of an APC40 with a sequencer instead of a clip matrix.

For me the number one thing the OT is better at than any computer, is offering limitations in a well designed way.
It gives you a little bit of everything you need in a flexible way.

Any old school sampler?” “Way more powerful?”
Sounds a little over-hyped

3 Likes

Feels more like Audiomulch sequenced by a tracker to me.

5 Likes
1 Like

The OT is complex, but not complicated. The complexity is that it can do so many different tasks from being a XOX box like drum machine, an audio mixer and FX device, a looper, a MIDI sequencer, and a sample mangling machine.

Best way to get into it might be, to take one step after one step and have the manual ready, if you get lost longer then 15 minutes :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s comparable in its obstacle as you said. I see on the blofeld what I don’t like and weird things I don’t want from it and sold it for that, even if at this price I do think it’s unbeatable.

On the other side the OT is like a Swiss army knife, it can do so much ! that the OT talks to a wider audience of different people… Musician who want to loop theirs guitars, DJ who want to introduce it in their live, producer who want to integrate it on their setup, performer who want to perform with it… (maybe there’s other scenario to add here I don’t have in mind now)

And OT can be their tool. Also, we all talking here about the OT in our own way to use it. That’s make thing complicate for the readers from the ground up. And learning the OT without to have in mind how you want to use it make things worst because you learn things you will even never ever use - maybe -. (but it’s interesting and can give ideas also…)

OCTATRACK is not complex, as @JuanSOLO said it does a lot. The Challenge here for learning is to be able to organize the learning. If you know nothing like zero knowledge in Music making well it can be overwhelming. But it’s up to you to start with easy things and keeping for later the more difficult parts.

I would like to speak about the TORAIZ SP-16 here, you can buy it, a CHILD can learn it in a afternoon, but well after you learn the basics you don’t have anything to cover, or other areas to experiment … it is up to everyone to know next, if the money invested is worth the purchase price. (of course I’m not speaking for Finger drummers with that… of course the SP16 is more appropriate to them)

To me in that regards the OT is the best investment globally regarding price and learning curve, but I write learning curve the positive way :wink:

2 Likes

He is easy to use, you can have fun, even if you are a noob, the fact is that as at school you will learn for a long time with him, you will find personnality in this machine and she will become a kind of exoskeleton ^^ Maybe more than Digitakt, with scenes for example, and arranger is a real + for creativity (for me the arranger is the most fun part of the Octatrack, a real compositor and remixer-editer tool).
:slight_smile:

It really depends on your abilities to grasp Elektron’s workflow. I spent the first month I had mine in deep learning mode, trying to learn everything about it, and got very little music done. I bought the DT first as well, and got the OT to incorporate patterns I had in Maschine into a hardware set-up, but once I got it… I really got addicted to trying to figure out everything about it. After 3 months, I am getting my own workflow, and I am back to the DT using that as a drum sampler (which it is the most amzing drum sampler I’ve ever worked with) and the OT as a loop recorder, effects box, dj mixer. I am almost where I want to be…And when I get confused or stuck with the OT, I just switch to the DT… If you do have the DT already, I think they are a good pair.

1 Like

I really enjoyed learning the OT starting out as stated above as an XoX drum machine. Part of the fun with it is even two years on there’s still things I haven’t explored -> I’m looking at you pick up machines. Mostly now I use it for midi sequencing and as a mixer/efx box, sampling loops as I go. Don’t worry about it, just enjoy the ride.

I repeat myself over and over.
I never felt it was that difficult to learn it enough in order to be able to enjoy it, using it as a drum machine, playing live, building tracks, looping things. The midi sequencer is also pretty straight forward. I never could understand the problems many people had with sampling. It’s a combination of two buttons to record. And there is a well laid out record setup page. It was my first elektron machine and I didn’t read the whole f… manual, because there are a tons of videos and information in this forum here. Basically any problem you can imagine has been addressed here.

That said. It is very difficult to learn all of what this thing can do, and after years, I’m still far away from that.
But I don’t know everything about ableton or logic either, and I always enjoyed them and built tracks with them.
Just don’t try to grasp everything at once, just start to use it for certain purposes you missed in your setup. The rest will follow.

I think it’s a pity that many people abandon trying this machine because of it’s bad reputation, you read in so many forums.

5 Likes

Very very new to the elactronic music world and started with Elektron gear. The OT can so so mant things and for me it was a case of ‘what do i want/need to do with it’.
Theres other gear i have that i find easier to do certain things with but ive learnt quite a bit about the OT in mot much time.
I think there was a lot of scary stories mai ly because it is what it is - a very capable and complex machine, and one which is fun to discover work arounds on.
It is subjective i guess.