How does scale per track work?

Hi! Scale per track isn’t really working how I expected. Has someone done a full tutorial on it yet? I haven’t figured out what CH.LEN does for instance. The issue I’m having is the following: I have a percussion track that’s 36 beats long and a melody track that is 32 beats long. The M.LEN is set to 36 and the percussion track plays normally. I expected the melody track to play its loop freely, out of sync with the percussion, but instead it plays the first four beats while the percussion track hasn’t finished yet and when the percussion track finishes and loops to the beginning, the melody track also loops to the beginning and plays its first four beats again. There isn’t any polyrhythm, the pattern sounds the same every time it plays. Is this expected behaviour?

M LEN is the master length which means all patterns reset after this point. In your case a 36 step M Len means the 32 step pattern will play a full cycle plus the first 4 steps again and then start over (as you witnessed). CH LEN is the change (chain? Not entirely sure) length for queued patterns or chained patterns. In your case you won’t be using this if you only have one pattern.

You’ll want to increase the M LEN in order to get the never ending cycle of a polymeter pattern.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks! So I need to do some maths and actually pay attention to the pattern lengths. Cheers!

Or you can set M.LEN to INF. This way, nothing will ever reset, which is good if every track is a different length, but it also means that the pattern will never change while playing, unless you set CH.LEN.

3 Likes

Yeah this too. The manual doesn’t exactly explain this the best way. At least I was confused until I heard someone explain it a bit better. Might have been a Cuckoo video.

This one perhaps?

What seems to always trip me up briefly is the M.LEN when also using scale per track. For example, if you have a 64 step part running at 1/2x, you have to set M.LEN to 128 for the whole 1/2x part to run through. The M.LEN corresponds to how many physical steps on the sequencer at 1x.

Possibly yeah. Between Cuckoo and Loopop I can’t keep track…

Either way, it’s a great trick :slight_smile:

That’s a neat trick, but it doesn’t use the Digitakt’s sequencer at all.

Yes.