How do you utilize(and make the best of)resampling?

Hello to the forum.
I’m new here and amazed by how great this community is.Patient,resourceful and really helpful for people just starting up with these great machines.

I got my Digitakt exactly a month ago but due to life being quite frantic lately(day job,kids etc) I haven’t been able to get so much into it(about 16 hours in total).

Nonetheless I have already seen it’s potential and love it’s sound.In this 16 hours I have managed to make a full bank of patterns,which I divided in 3 songs which I can almost perform,but they need work.I see the DT as a compose/performance tool.When I will be able to perform the way I want,then I will record.

My first question here has to do with resampling.

I was really excited about this feature but it seems like I can’t utilize it correctly yet.I mostly use one shot samples which I try to make them sound the best I can.

When I tried to resample an effected sound though (delay,reverb) I noticed that the sound changed significantly,especially in the delay department.Now I know that it resamples in mono and I was using ping pong on the delay but the reverb also seemed that it lost some of its “space”.Maybe my ears trick me?

So how do you guys do it?
Do you resample the dry signal and sequence,then use the effects?Also when I used lfo to modulate the panning so I could create this “from speaker to speaker fast effect” on a vocal,it also didn’t resample it the way I was expecting.

I really appreciate any answer and sorry in advance for the long post.

1 Like

I typically use resampling to consolidate multiple tracks into one (eg creating a drum loop and resample to a single loop so I can free up other tracks)

1 Like

Generally I’d suggest resampling without spacial/time based fx and adding them back afterwards unless you specifically want to be able to tweak sampled reverb/delay afterwards. Alternatively, have you tried the difference between sampling Int L+R vs just choosing L OR R? Collapsing stereo fx can leave things sounding muddy in my experience.

1 Like

usually use resample to layer drum hits more than anything else, would normally do it dry, cos it keeps your options open a bit.

1 Like

This is where I end up too.Adding the effects afterwards seems like the right sounding thing.
I haven’t tried your suggestion,I think most of the few times I resampled I did it using INT L+R.Does it have a difference on the outcome?

Yes I can agree on that,so mostly envelope/filter,pitch and layer work.
Haven’t worked with layers yet to be honest,sounds like I should.

Cool.
After merging in one loop,you use a single trig to playback the loop,or experiment with trigs and start times?
Seems like a good way to variate.

You can resample at times to free up the lfo for another task… let’s say you are modulating a drums pitch at fm speed but you also want the filter to be slowly phasing up and down during the beat, resample the FM. It can be useful to save it as a sound before resampling incase later you decide you wanted a faster FM.

2 Likes

Another great suggestion.Thanks man :slight_smile:

Something you may wanna read :slight_smile:

3 Likes