How do you use your Digitakt?

What are the most inspiring/fun approaches you've applied to your Digitakt?

Please share! I want to know how YOU create with it! Videos, set up pics or links are welcome

I want to find out every single way I can use it as a creative tool… it gives me just enough of what I need to create exciting music without feeling overwhelmed or distracted by a DAW

Use cases I've had fun creating with

Is there something I missed?

first post lol

5 Likes

I find myself using my Digitakt very conventionally most of the time. Drum one shots, complex sequencing, sequencing external gear, some bass lines sometimes using single cycle waveforms.

The only thing I’ve fully incorporated so far that is a little less usual is my little library of 8 step chains of samples from a mono synth which I use to generate ideas by sticking them in a slice machine, putting down trigs in the rhythm I want and then pressing Yes in record mode to put down random slices for each trig.

It’s a fun idea generator for techno riffs.

7 Likes

I turn it on
Press buttons
Mangle sounds
Listen
Mangle sounds
Etc etc

5 Likes

I like to use it for the things that aren’t immediately obvious to synthesise on my Syntakt, like reverse percs and loops. Also good for vocals and one shots.

Another thing I like is sampling into the DT to see how certain parts might fit with a bit of master compression.

4 Likes

When I first picked it up a few years ago, I was using it for live sets in conjunction with the Digitone that I already owned. Then I started doing less and less live stuff with my Elektrons as I migrated to doing more and more traditional DJ sets, either with others’ music, as a way to present my own “produced” music, or a combination. In particular, I weaned myself away from taking my sweet, sweet Electrons out and about when I started doing more outdoor events. In particular, those dirty sandy desert events are no place for my babies.

So the Digitakt, Digitone and Syntakt are now mostly in-studio tools, and my DJ gear is what goes out and about, unless the event/venue already provides. I use the Electrons to start and develop songs, and now do much more with them as hardware devices that are integrated with my DAW. The stuff I’ve been producing lately has mixed ITB Ableton stuff with the Elektrons to get to finished tracks, and I am enjoying that combo.

They’re also (still) just so darned fun to turn on and play with even if I don’t have any particular song development in mind.

2 Likes

My DT is also my starting point for pretty much everything I make, and I also have it integrated into Ableton all the time now. When I start up, unless I have a specific sound in mind I want from something else, I’ll just work on a kit of sounds for a while and see where it takes me.

I even use the DT song mode for almost all my basic arrangements.

5 Likes

Besides the awesome ways that you can use your DT for music, you can also put a decksaver on top and use it as a coaster.

14 Likes

I use mine as a midi brain and to record sounds and loops I like from other hardware synths and fx, and then to play alongside Syntakt to play what it can’t…

Breaks, one shots, chains of single cycle wave forms for basses, wavetables as described above, chord samples using a little system, textures, vocal samples, etc. I have a Boss IR-2 on back order to record nice sounding guitar bits.

2 Likes

currently…

7 Likes

Reminds me that I do need a decksaver because my cat chewed up my knobs … :cat2:

1 Like

lovellyyyyyy setup… reminds me of when i used to have my digi paired with a mircrofreak for a while

1 Like

Lately I’ve been using it as an ambient box of improvised dream scapes in conjunction with my zoia and a piano. Bedtime lullabies that turn into psychedelic absurdity after the family falls asleep. I think I’m gonna start recording the adventures and put together some kind of album with this concept.

3 Likes

I fill up the ram storage with glitchy sounds and start using sample slot selection via lfo rating. Set LFO trigger to off as @DaveMech wisely informed me and have fun with your triggers :wink:

2 Likes

I like to believe I’m a machine elf and the digitakts are my tools to communicate with the entities in other dimensions. With feelings.

6 Likes

Internal/midi sequencing, sound creation & song-building.

1 Like

With its clacking keys, the Digitakt is my little typewriter for soundsnippets.
I can write poems or stories on it.
I can write my resignation for this stupid world or a declaration of love.

EDIT: translated with deepl

9 Likes

I use it as a one project device! Full sample memory with every set saved on the laptop. I load from transfer and its like you have a brand new digitakt every time!!
:wink:

4 Likes

As a studio guy, I use it as a one project device for a complete song design approach. I setup a template for having each bank designated as instrument or vocal layers. All patterns get recorded to a sync’d external multitrack recorder using an old JL Cooper PPS-1. The completed project is offloaded using Transfer for easy archive, and like Acid-Nab says, I have a blank digitakt canvas ready for the next song.

2 Likes