How do you use it?

The Octatrack is a sampler/sample playback box. It also has built in effects and a capable MIDI sequencer. I was messing around the other morning and wondered if the way I use the OT is typical.

So that’s my question. Assuming your OT isn’t thrown across the room in frustration, listed in a FS post somewhere, or locked away in a closet for being difficult, how do you mainly use the OT and it’s various pieces?

For me, I have never used the MIDI sequencer, never prepared or used sample chains, and from the effects section, I mostly use the filters and EQs and once in a while the Lo-Fi collection. I typically don’t do much editing of samples on the OT.

I usually run the OT slaved to my main MIDI sequencer.

I have the OT inputs in my patchbay. I typically run a cable from Aux 6 on the mixing board to one of the OT inputs. Then, whatever audio happens to be available at the board - whether it’s a DVD from the computer, a synth arpeggio, a drum machine, or the output of an effects unit - I simply turn up Aux Send 6 knob on that channel to feed the OT (running one or more track of Flex or Pickup machines). I’ll sample and mangle until I get somethnig I like and save that or else throw it away and do it again. When I’m working this way, I rarely go into the Sample Editor. I’ve become a big fan of RLEN and QREC when sampling.

Often I’ll just mute a track/sample in progress and activate another one and start fresh. When I open up a project, it’s always full of surprises when I start unmuting tracks in a pattern. Copying Patterns to other Patterns and copying Parts to other Parts and then editing the copies have also become common operations (after losing work by editing something and losing the exact combination of sample/start/len/p-locks)

3 Likes

Center piece of the orchestra! It sends midi clock to my other devices and also acts as a mixer (two devices running back into the OT). I also play back loops and FX from the OT.

I particularly love:
[ul]
[li]Thru and Neighbor machines[/li]
[li]Multiple steps per track[/li]
[li]Sampling[/li]
[li]Scenes[/li]
[/ul]

Mine is in the kitchen next to my machinedrum… So i can just jam on it when i am bored / feel creative…

It sends clock to the machinedrum. and it resamples the machinedrum with various realtime sampling trickery…

or i use it on its own… filled with big sample-chains i make in renoise…

I really dislike the fact, that the filter takes up an fxslot… cause i like to play with filtersweeps.
and then distort it or fx it to pieces… I never use allot of the fx, cause i cant make them fit into my workflow… and well 1fx slot taken by filter… the other with either a reverb or a delay…
on drums i usually have distortion/lofi + reverb or delay…

sometimes i have the feeling… that if i replaced the machinedrum with 4 mono-out-type thingies, that i would sequence with the octatrack… I would make more use of the other effects… and would do more amazing things… think of a simple mono drummachine…
a simple monosynth for basses… a simple poly-synth for leads (but stil just mono output)
and a simple vocoder/voicebox type thing…
use 4miditracks for the drums… 1 for the bass. maybe 2 on the leadsynth and 1 for the voicething… just simple machines with knobs to twist and turn…

like those volca things from korg + and that new voicebox from roland… that green thing.
heh. those volca’s should come without the sequencer in a rack-unit with midi in. + patchsystem …

I’d been trying to find a way to combine my conventional instrument playing (guitar and viola) with electronic music. “Build a song” style looping didn’t interest me. Simply playing along with sequencers seemed too “karaoke”-like, although I like what Squarepusher has done, playing live bass along with his electronics.

Anders Bergdahl showed me the way, with his ground-breaking explorations of the Octatrack as a realtime guitar-sampler and quasi-looper.

So I use my Octatrack to copy what he does, except with viola as input.

1 Like

using it with an alpha juno, jomox BD and a couple more analog mono synths at the moment, love the midi sequencer to bits. arps rule for sid type sounds and its quick and easy to enter chords per trig with the novation midi controller.
Samples are either drum hits, chains or really long live keyboard playing sessions, use the editor to find the perfect start points and it really comes up with the goods! hours of wormholing around
occasionally sampling old drum box loops, cr78 acetone etc
FX, usually the reverb delay and EQ/filter
master track with comp and EQ
mad machine the OT!

It is the centerpiece of my sequencing in the lab and also live show. I love it so much I got 2 of them. Like a 16 track, 8 output powerhouse. I dont sample to it, I hate the workflow of that. I do all the prepping of that in Pro Tools and load up the card. But once inside, samples are malleable like butter. I love using it to sequence other synths. I don’t use many of the effects besides filter, distortion (love it), and delay with the rare exception.

I use mine mostly in a live trio setting, where the MIDI clock is coming from our drummer (who at times plays his AR.)

MIDI recording: capture & loop/layer what our guitarist/keys is putting out from his rhodes-style parts.

Sampling: my own keys which cover primarily bass parts. I love to use QREC and the quick sampling option while the sequencer is running to stay more hands-off as I play. I’ll then effect + mangle the parts - Flex machines on T3, T4, Thru machines on T5, T6, prepared drum sample playback (often from vinyl) on T7, ambient samples on T1, T2.

My fave effects include the Lo-Fi set (especially the slow AM), the Spatializer, Dark Reverb, Delay.

1 Like

:slight_smile: You saved me the hassle of typing (again). Deserves a proper response, maybe later.

I use it live to play in a trio setting too. Drums, bass player and me playing keyboards and the OT.
I use the Cue output to send a Click to the drummer.
I have a mix of 4 bar loops and one-shots, and I dont use sampling (yet). I like to use the effects, mainly delay, reverb and the filter, with the fader. Have used the one cycle waves in a couple of themes. I dont use the sample editor, because I find the computer more easy to do it.

But I have a feeling that I should learn to use it better. There are a lot of things you can do with the OT, and everytime I spend some quality time with it I learn new things that I use in our music.
Mainly, I would like to use the sampling features, but I need to learn it first!

1 Like

OT is the center of my studio setup with no computer in sight. Everything I work with is routed through the OT. Sampling with the OT came naturally to me and I do it constantly. OT is my primary sequencer but I also use the MD, AK, and MnM sequencers as needed. Infrequent Midi unless I need to sync three devices.

Live setup is OT-only. Nothing is as totally bad-ass as setting up one black box and blowing people’s minds. #hectorlives

centerpiece here as well. I do full tracks on the OT.

I run a midi daisy chain:
from the OT to the A4 and from it branches out, using A4’s two midi outs:
there’s a doepfer dark time (/ iconnect midi2 in the future) on one out and the other continues the daisy chain: Electribe SX, Vermona DRM1, Yamaha TX81Z (every piece has midi filtering so they can be easily controlled by the OT in addition to the A4 and 'Tribe having their own sequencers) and then to the computer.
On the computer I have Reason and a separate midi interface to handle keys (the OT’s step seq doesn’t do well with keyboard parts).
Audio runs from all the gear (apart from the OT) is fed to a mini mixer, from that to an old cheap compressor and then to the A4 and then to ABin of the Octa. I keep CDin of the OT reserved for the turntable. then the OT’s output is routed to the audio interface and the cue outs are connected to sidechain in on the compressor.
kinda crazy but, work for me.

Mega centrepiece for me ! Everything goes through the OT for sampling, FXing, mixing and midi sequencing. I would not know what to do without it.

:alien:

Centerpiece here too !
Since i’ve got the octatrack, i put my mixer in a box.
I use it in combination with a A4.
Sampling, modeling samples, using the crossfader, playing with slicing, exploring…
I used to use Ableton live on computer, the OT has completely replaced it.

1 Like

My OT is the main sequencer in my setup, with A4, Slim Phatty, Waldorf Rocket connected to it.

So far I mix in the OT as well, but that’s getting a bit too limited.

Not using it as much as I should just now but thats a music and, especially, hardware thing at the moment. Change in jobs and associated committments along with a few other things has made it very difficult to put time aside for music. Almost settled down though so I can focus!

Earlier in the year I had the OT as my centrepiece. It sequenced the iPad and apps as well as some soft synths and had audio from PC/A4 routing into it for FX, sampling mucking about.

I’m way more productive in the software world so was looking at ways to incorporate everthing into a simple to use set up and nearly nailed it. Needs some tweaking but now Live is my centrepiece driving iPad, OT, X-Station Synth, A4 and with my Rolan Octacapture Im able to shift audio in and out the OT using sends and what not. Having no problems with midi jittering or audio being noticeably out of sync (latency super low with the Octacapture).

Only tested a handful of times but it seems like it will be excellent fun. Got Maschine doing drum patterns that I can chuck into Live or OT for manipulation. Or, I can go straight for samples with the OT. Then there is Push doing its thing - again, a breeze to chuck audio into the OT. Just need to get my head round it all as pretty overwhelming after having done ef all for a few months now!!!

I use OT as a centerpiece also.

AB In is used for a Machinedrum
C In for a Mic pre/DI unit.
D In for a Monotribe.

I also route a downmix of my two keyboards, from my soundcard outputs to the MD inputs. That way I can process the MD and synths on one thru track.

I like the idea of having a mic/DI input at hand on the OT to capture stuff on the fly. ( hmmm. I should get a piezo )

Started out using long samples, stems I made on the computer, but that’s just missing out on p-locking fun IMO
As someone said once on this forum, on the OT, less is more.
Shorter samples, stuff you grab on the fly, sample chains, waveforms, blips hits and foley are stuff that are on my SD card now.

Been using

4 to 5 flex machines
One or two thru tracks,
Crossfader sampling track
Master track (compressor and freez delay)

I like the LoFI, dark reverb, filter,

I use the MIDI sequencer but its bad at receiving midi chords from a midi keyboard so I rarely hookup keyboards to the midi In on the OT

I also have a project dedicated to sampling with 8 tracks receiving from AB in with maxed out length. I use it to get samples from stuff I watch on the computer. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I’ve only had my Octratrack for 2 days, so far I’m using it like this

http://i.imgur.com/xQCxqjD.png

Master and Centerpiece.

OT clock + transport to Machinedrum (MIDI ch1)
( Machinedrum triggers Jomox MBase11, MIDI ch2 )
OT MIDI seq to DSI MoPho (MIDI ch3)
OT MIDI seq to Virus (MIDI ch4, 5, 6, etc)
OT clock to H8000
OT occasionally samples H8000

Bad Ayuzz.
:wink:

• Drum machine
  • Random sample player
  • MIDI sequencer
  • Live gig mixer for the A4 and the Ambika

The drum machine function will be replaced by proper drum machines (Aira and probably the new Acidlab Drumatix) in the near future though, so I suppose I have to invent new ways to use the OT (which I criminally underuse at the moment).

In place of my DAW I use the OT Arranger to compile songs live, scene changes and all, freeing me up for live CC parameter tweaking.

IN A - DSI Mopho
IN B - Access Virus A
IN C - Nord Drum2
IN D - mixer (guitar/bass, vocals, suzuki omnichord)

Akai MPK25 to OT MIDI IN
OT MIDI OUT to Quad Thru Box to Nord Drum 2, Mopho, Virus
(the MPK25 has three sets, one each for the Mopho, Virus and Nord Drum 2. I play the synths live using either the MPK25 keyboard or pads, recording the MIDI notes live into the OT sequencer for playback)

MIDI 1-6 sequence 6 tracks of Nord Drum2
MIDI 7 sequence Mopho
MIDI 8 sequence Virus

1 THRU - Nord Drum2
2 THRU - Mopho
3 THRU - Virus
4 THRU - Mixer
5 FLEX - Drum sample chain
6 FLEX - Drum sample chain
7 FLEX - Random samples/record from mixer
8 MASTER - effects

I ordered my OT at the start of February, praying it would do 1/10 of what I expected. It delivered fully. The only thing I can’t do is change programs on the Nord Drum2, but that’s why I have hands.

https://soundcloud.com/accretion-of-planetesimals/the-hills