How do you record your Elektron machines?

Nice. I’ve been using overbridge to record audio for a few months now. I never realized it captures automation too. Very cool. I shall try it out later!

EDIT: I tried it, and I see no parameters being recorded into Ableton via Overbridge. Just the audio.

1 Like

Record on the plugin track

1 Like

Also, be sure to enable Automation Arm beside the + Sign.

2020-04-23 (3)

2 Likes

Live arrangement was always good enough for Chris Cowie:

2 Likes

Like a lot of folks here, I take different approaches based on what I’m trying to achieve. I’ve done a lot of live jams just recording the main outs from a Mackie mixer. Most of my released material has been made that way, once I realized I liked that workflow.

I also multi-track using a Focusrite Clarett. Sometimes OB is used but I’ve noticed you need to be very deliberate with your delay settings in Ableton if you’re also tracking other hardware through a separate interface (as opposed to the inputs of whatever OB-enabled device you are using).

Some tracks that start out as live jams eventually get multi-tracked. I usually have the live jam in Ableton on its own track so I can reference it, something I saw Minimal Violence mention in a studio interview.

Lot of options, lot of fun…thanks to those who have shared, interesting to see the differing approaches

1 Like

I don’t use ob, I just record the stereo track straight into bitwig. I feel like having bitwig is waste right because I’m just using it to record a take from digitone. I don’t like using ob because you lose the fx. I should dive deeper and use vst’s, I just prefer doing something just on the hardware itself, fast and simple.

You can record the FX track as well.

2 Likes

if you set the audio routing of dn in a way, where the 4 tracks doesent go to the main out, you can record only the effects on the main channel… so 4 dry tracks plus one with all 4 effects

2 Likes

and to stay on topic: i record my a4 and ar combo mostly only via main out. a4 audio into ar input, usb to overbridge…

sometimes i record ar with separate kick channel and a4 plus effects channel in ableton live via ob, but thats the most complicated i want to handle…

i made a full multitrack template but i hate the amount of channels and posiibilities and get overwhelmed whenever i try this… it is just not fun for me, feels like work, and i am on the computer already at the day job

this thread has surprisingly helpful and reassuring.

1 Like

do you recommend the sync gen over the ERM mlti-clock? I’m guessing yes! what makes this better for you?

Thanks.

Sorry, they’re not my videos, just ones I liked!

I have been doing something similar with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 and Octopre, multitracking into Logic (albeit not midi synced with the DAW, just using it as a glorified tape recorder). But I got a bit fed up of mixing/adjusting levels in the DAW as I went. So more often than not I reverted back to an analogue mixer (Soundcraft EFX12) and just recorded the stereo mix buss into the computer when I was ready.

Recently though, I picked up an Apollo Twin X and found that the control panel software for that is really straightforward and easy to use, a lot easier than Logic for some reason. So now I’m experimenting with the Octopre into that via ADAT, and I can easily stick a compressor or preamp simulation on whatever channels I like. For some reason, I find it more straightforward and lower friction than the Saffire / MixControl & Logic. Go figure.

1 Like

Digitakt out - > Apogee Jam+ - > into the iPad via CCK

GarageBand works fine for my purposes, it’s mainly just a recorder for my H/W. It can get time consuming to record individual tracks on the DT but I prefer this way of composing to DAW’s, and it’s good to focus on live controlling individual parameters while recording.

1 Like

I was feeling the same way but really there is so much to BItwig Studio FOR hardware users. About a billion ways to use it. I found it 10x more intuitive than Ableton. Anyways I’ve done this too when I was using 8 track.

OB + BW is pretty awesome. Even without OB I had my Korg Monologue tied in and made one of the most amazing bass patches of my life. Using the hardware instrument and all the modulators is just mind blowing. Plus, you can always modulate the modulators if it gets even the least bit stale :wink:

Someone very recently released a M4Live device to control the model:series and it is indeed badass, but I think almost the same thing could be done in BW using the grid. 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other or whatever the saying is.

1 Like

currently multitracking some MD and MnM live tracks into ableton for an album i’m doing and i’ve got to say i’m having a blast. basically doing 15 minute jams and then going through and tightening up the arrangements. recording midi for everything too but so far haven’t put it to much use.

biggest problems include only having an 8 input interface (i could do it perfectly with 9 even!) as well as the delay in the ,machines not liking the clock that ableton is spitting out. most of the time i’ve been able to fake it ITB but that does lead to using up spare channels/tracks with “dry” signals. if only the ram machine weren’t so useful i think i’d have a much easier time.

Cool man, I have to explore the modulators a bit more