How do you record the master effects from rytm correctly using ableton!?

hey, a question about recording rytm via ableton. i noticed that the master effects like the compressor and distortion are indispensable for me because they give the rytm project that certain something. now you could add the fx channel via OB, but then the individual channels cannot be shut down and you hear the signal twice - including delay and reverb. it is very important that it is recorded cleanly. i tried to create a similar effect with plugins by creating groups to which i applied distortion and compressor, similar to the master effect from the rytm. it doesn’t sound nearly as strong. if the master effects can be used cleanly by rytm, that would mean doing without individual tracks and recording the entire signal. individually is not good either, because then everything collapses due to the compression. it’s like a glue. which sounds really hard.

my only option is to buy external devices such as the outo boum, but that’s not possible for the time being.

how do you do this? good tips to start with here?

You could multi-track into a daw, mix/edit there until it’s how you want it, then route your mix back thru the rytm ext input by itself to pass thru all the master fx and record that as your 2track master

3 Likes

…that’s a very interesting idea that I’ll try out right away - thanks!!

OTO Boum saved - that’s almost exactly the same. But the settings were pretty tricky. Thanks again!

1 Like

fun tidbit to remember when passing your mix back thru is that the master fx parameters have sequencer lanes + scene/perf capabilities + lfo

2 Likes

i dont use overbridge. i split my kick out and run the rest through the master. if i want something on its own track like a chord or bass i just do separate takes and solo those elements. its still pretty quick plus i modulate knobs and live play.

i have an erm sync box so the tracks record tighter than overbridge - barely any latency at all.

and actually i have a boum so i run the kick through that. but you could run it back through the rytm inputs if you wanted.

1 Like

such an erm sync box is definitely not bad. I noticed yesterday that when you record back from the rytm master to the daw, the signal is out of sync at all. it’s all a bit cumbersome, even with the routing. still a great option.

Well yesterday I was looking for a worthy plugin replacement to keep things more relaxed and found out that the API 2500 Compressor from Waves comes very close to the Compressor from Rytm. Now I’m still looking for a similar distortion.

it’s better to compress the low end separately anyway, with the rytm compressor providing a cut for the low end.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but on one of the settings pages you can set it so that the individual channels aren’t routed through the master output.

You can then record every track (8 voices + FX) individually through OverBridge, and the master/FX will just have the effects, not the dry track sounds.

See section 10.2.5 ROUTE TO MAIN in the manual.

1 Like

Don’t bother with the individual tracks. You’re creating headaches, and what-ifs and “maybe I can do this other mixing trick later”… It’s getting in your way. Just use the mix bus with the fx baked in.

you’re right in a way, it really keeps a bit of the workflow from taking care of the individual channels. but the eqing is really important here and also the separation of lows and highs as well as mids. in addition, the inclusion of the daw with the individual channels offers many more possibilities for sound design. I think as far as the master effects from rytm are concerned, I can live with using the SSL native stories and distortion such as e.g. soundtoys decapitator, sausage fetener or also neold big all.

because to be honest, everything else is going great with OB. I have all channels individually and FX separately for a perfect mix and everything sounds like it is from the rytm - just without the master. I also made a special max for life setup for the panning, so that the delay from the rytm swings along nicely when the signal is shifted.

1 Like

unfortunately that doesn’t work with the compressor and distortion, then the unprocessed channels would have to be sharpened again and the signal would be doubled.

Hmm that’s true.

Honestly when I record from the Rytm I tend to run one track at a time through the master and record it individually in Ableton. But my workflow tends to lean on doing the actual song arrangement and mixing in the DAW.

1 Like

could you elaborate in detail how you managed to set this up?

hello, it works like wormhole explained it in this thread. greeting

Fyi the Boum is a far different sound than the rytm master comp/dist. its not a fair comparison. I personally use both. My rytm tracks are typically 5 or so total out of master into the daw.

1 Like

Hey Team!

I’m on the same situation, I really dont want to loose this “live rec” workflow that really make something different from recording tracks one by one imo.

So I tried to separate tracks in overbridge and rec the master FX as separate track and mix them together, then distord the mixbus with the soundtoys decapitator.

Results are not bad but still not sound as “glued” and “full” as out of the AR, I know we will never get exactly the same sound but if some of you have distorsions/compressors or other techniques that would lead to similar sound than the AR out, I would like to hear your recommandations :slight_smile: