How do you rate your music?

It’s good enough but I haven’t made enough of it.

Most of my stuff is not where I want it to be at but I’m getting there. With my Virus and Oberheim, I now get the sounds needed in my tracks. Modular drums and Rytm add the beats.

My music is the best i can do atm.
In retrospective i gave my best most of the time, but 50% is not enjoyable.

1 Like

8 out of 10 for production quality, overall mix, sound design, interesting rhythms and ideas

4 out 10 for arrangement ability

2 out of 10 for following through until completion

It’s hard to rate it because parts are subjective, one might have goals that not everyone might share. But of the objective things, I’d say I’m getting there production quality wise but I have a ways to go in getting a good mix quickly. I’m pretty good at spinning a beat or melody and designing sounds.

I rate my music on a scale of 0 - 1.

I always give 1’s.

3 Likes

Not sure I love the question because it’s almost as if it’s a proxy for rating your self-confidence when in the end it’s all just a matter of personal taste.

My wife has never asked me to play one of my songs a second time after playing it for her the first time. :joy::see_no_evil: Still, I love my music and probably listen to it more than other music at the moment.

In terms of production quality (mixing), I’d say I’m steadily improving, which is all that matters.

2 Likes

Good question. From my own personal perspective quite high. Otherwise this time consuming fun hobby wouldn’t make no sense after all these years and I’d be probably happier doing other things. Compared to commercial releases i could and should work harder but i realise that’s not where my whole heart is, and as long as i can “hear” what my music lacks i’m still blessed. i spend more time listening to my own fiddling and loops then too other musicians so my subconsciousnes is telling me my music is 8/10.

1 Like

Short answer is I would say what I feel is my best is approaching the music that I love but not quite. What I feel is my worst I’m mildly embarrassed to have released. It’s likely that others’ music likely retains more of a magical quality as you weren’t there for every step of its creation. Seeing how the sausage is made might take a little of the mystique out of it, for me anyway.

1 Like

I usually create tracks on a Friday night when I’ve had a few drinks and they’re always a solid 10/10.

Next morning, listening back they’re 2-3 at best :joy:

2 Likes

My tracks are as good as they deserve to be.

That is to say I think I’ve made steady progress in the time I’ve been working on making tracks and my abilities reflect where I am on my journey which is beginner just approaching intermediate.

My kids often ask to listen to specific tracks I’ve made and I’ve had some nice feedback so that’s heartening.

My main concern is if I will continue to make progress, or if I will stall as it’s always easier to get from beginner to intermediate than it is to get from intermediate to expert.

So in summary about 3/10 but I feel good about it.

1 Like

-14/10

or

:-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6::-1:t6:

Sub-par and half arsed, though I never think that when I’m actually making it :joy:

1 Like

My guitar band music and electronic music i rate slightly differently but the same themes come out…

My stuff is simple in structure but I think I’m good at melody hooks and interplay of combining simple melodies to make some hopefully interesting, same when I layer guitars.

I think I fall down on fact I don’t spent long on tracks, they are snap shots in time as I hate returning to stuff. Therefore I probably don’t meet my potential and tracks arent as good as they could be but what I make I still enjoy listening to.

Band tracks where I sing, again I enjoy the melodies but lyrics? A joined up narrative or art direction to a song? Fuurrggeetabbottitt. I don’t have time for that, find it boring as fuck. I sing gibberish then try construct something from that. Again I enjoy it but a lot is left on the table.

School report: 6-7/10 - too easily distracted.

1 Like

My music isn’t really comparable to people who I look up to. But I always try to not judge by quality of output but to the standard of wether I was into it when making it. I‘m regularly in the zone, and when I am, I consider the music a succes.

2 Likes

Chart toppers. Everyone of em.

1 Like

Ratings are relative, I suppose.

• Some I’m proud of and will send to friends
  • Some I enjoy elements of and do the usual “cleaning my bathroom” humming to
  • Some I like an element of and will neither really finish ever or seem to delete

I’m working on just completing more period, even if they don’t have any elements I like to frame around, because the fun stuff just eats up my energies, which is fine if it’s a learning experience but my “jack of all trades” ass needs most to get work out into the world.

When I was a kid, pretty decent for my genre. These days as an elderly knob twiddler, what I produce is generally terrible/half formed/half assed. But I do it for me now, out of a love of messing around with stuff, not out of any aspiration to entertain an audience. My wife claims occasionally that she enjoys it, but I know she is lying to keep me sweet.

1 Like

2/10 (I know what I should do but most of times I just want to have fun and produce something quickly)

Compared to my musical hero’s I’d give myself a 3/10 but I’m just happy to have the luxury of actually being able to do this stuff for fun and share a little of it with the outside world… and that’s not to say I don’t like the beats I make because I do, they just don’t stack up in comparison to the greats of dnb or Hip Hop…

1 Like