How do you organize samples in your machine?

Hello, I just got a model:samples to make techno with samples recorded from my synths. I’m wondering how I should organize these samples. Recording several variation on the kind of the same kick drum, for example, could help to have them attached and quickly change to a softer/harder/noiser hit by setting the sample start parameter. However, this would probably make the decay act weird. Also, combining a BD and OH on the same sample would be useful on rhythmically simple tracks (track one would be both BD and OH). I am also unsure of whether to organize samples into kits, as it is in the default library, or create pools for the different instruments. Right now im thinking I should get 8 variations on each instrument and organize the into kits and maybe just make a directory for optional samples, sucha as oneshots, turnaround sounds, etc. What is your preferred methods and what are the non-intuitive consequences of the different managing principles? thank you!

There are a few different questions in there, and I’m new to the Samples as well, so I can’t answer them all. But, on the question of how to organise your samples, I started by loading some of the free kits and also some other folders I’d created - separate folders for each different percussion instruments.
With the way I work, I quickly found that loading the ready-made kits was never going to be the right way for me. I might like the kick in a kit, but not necessarily the other five instruments. So I’m now reorganising my library into folders of instruments rather than kits. It should be a lot easier to navigate too, instead of having a load of small kits whose contents I’d have to explore every time.
Like I said, I’m new to the Samples, but I don’t think you can have a BD and OH on the same step of a single track. However, I believe you can change the sounds for each step on one track using parameter locks. I’m new to Elektron as well as the Samples - that’s the next thing I have to learn…

If you use one track for both kick and hh by combining samples you will chop off the decay of the kick so I don’t think that will work out. Kick+snare and kick+clap will work though. Obviously you will not be able to mute the kick and snare independently this way.

As for organizing the folders I might try both ways as long as you have the space. 1GB may as well be infinite if you are only doing short percussion samples. It can be helpful to build yourself some kits ahead of making patterns but it’s also nice to be able to find things by category. Without a tagging system you just have to make copies.

Edit: I see, you’re talking about making sample chains. My comments about chopping the kick decay are still relevant. You can use one track for multiple samples by using sound locks so don’t bother with making sample chains for this alone. Chains are good for modulating the start point to change which samples play with an lfo. But for this you need 120 samples so you have one sample for every available start point. You can also put several related samples in one chain to be able to switch between them with start point just to make browsing them “easier”. I’m not sure that’s worth the trouble over just having folders of categories.

1 Like

Did you check previous threads on the subject ? Lots of advice and discussion out there already (may not answer some of your specifics of course).

EDIT: For future reference for anyone searching

5 Likes

I don’t put too much effort on the DT, imagine my scheme would work for the M:S too since it also has limited memory.

• Imported
    • “Pack” name or drum machine
      • Categories if enough samples, such as BD SD CP
  • Recorded (where to put sampled, resampled, and “processed” stuff)
    • Same
  • Stems (from productions I’m working on etc, this is where to put big project-specific stuff that I might have to delete later)
    • Project folders

Original samples are named like “BD XYZ 123”.