How do i make my syntakt sound fuller?

hey everyone :slight_smile:

Syntakt is my favorite instrument and i have learned a lot from it

lately i have tried to test the waters and upload some videos/musical sketches to youtube - just to grow a bit and perhaps receive some feedback

making music with it is a lot of fun and while by no means i think of what i make as great, i still sometimes get the feeling of “omg i made this and i get to share it with other people, how amazing and how fun!!”

now today i skipped through some of my uploads and i noticed that compared to many other peoples uploads, i find mine to sound a bit “weak” - i don’t want to start another loudness war here, but to my ears other uploads just seem to have more body, more oomph or whatever you want to call it

i know this might be due to various factors but i thought i just might ask here:

what could i do to my my syntakt (and my uploads of it) sound fuller?

might it just be bad mixing? should i crank up the volume? play with EQ?

i added some links for reference:

example 1

example 2

i appreciate any feedback on how i could improve my soundquality! :slight_smile:

have a good one :seedling:

Nice jamz! Try adding some compression with your DAW

1 Like

Agree, cool jams! Can’t really tell as I’m on my phone, but generally it’s all the things the analog heat is marketed towards! TBH though, compression goes a long way, and any built in DAW plugins can do a good job of beefing stuff up a bit.

Compressors, saturators, clippers… These are the things which will get you that rich, full sound you desire. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Things like saturation and compression go a long way.

1 Like

A Sonic Maximizer wouldn’t hurt too.

1 Like

Just get your track levels balanced and right and turn up the overall volume. Saturators, distortions and what not are great, and use them if you have them. But don’t got spend money if you don’t have to. I found the solution to getting a loud full mix is sound selection and a well balanced solid mix. Good luck!

2 Likes

Syntakt’s Tracks have Overdrive and there’s an analog FX Drive inside.

6 Likes

I fully agree on this, the Mixing stage is super important as well as the sounds selection, but if you want more loudness (as in Mastered Tracks), you need other tools that Syntakt doesn’t have.

2 Likes

Another thing that might help: EQing out low frequencies—the base-width filter under the fundamental frequency on the digital tracks, and a DAW-based EQ shelf or FX-track High pass around 50-100Hz all help to take out the low-frequency “mud” that takes up loudness even below audible frequencies…

3 Likes

I have found that routing my tracks to the analog fx and using some of the analog overdrive will provide some natural saturation and compression in lieu of the presence of a dedicated compressor.

1 Like

Layering. Syntakt has a bunch of tracks, and I can see you are using a digitakt too so you have 20 tracks. Start doubling up parts with other sounds and spend time playing with levels, spectrums and panning to get elements working together. If you are trying to stay OTB, you can run ST into DT to compress them together. If you are using overbridge subtle delay/verb/modulation fx on individual tracks can also get you closer to a polished, more detailed sound

2 Likes

Train your ears.
Learn the basics of filtering/EQing and dynamic processing, with what you already have.
Tools are important. Developing the skills is more important.

You’ve got a DT sitting right there. Put the Syntakt thru it’s inputs and pump the compressor on the DT. That’s what I do and it works a treat when things need pushing a bit.

1 Like

To me “fullness” implies low end, so using the ST I would go for the analog engines for kick and bass, and really try to hone in on what can make those voices sound round and full… then build the mix around that. I’d also work on the soundstage, using panning and different fx send levels to give the mix breathing space. I also always use the delay in ping-pong mode, which opens things up on Elektron boxes.
And as others suggested, try running some of the digital tracks thru the FX block to take some brittleness off, and run the whole ST mix thru the DT’s compressor… since you have it on the desk. The compressor’s metering and control are barebones so you really have to use your ears and A/B a lot, but a little goes a long way. If that doesn’t work, many “glue” and mastering plugins are available to try.

4 Likes

Saturation.