How can I get all Overbridge channels into VCV Rack?

How can I get all the channels of Elektron Overbridge (VST) into VCV Rack? Host XL has 8 outputs, but Digitakt Overbridge has 18 channels (1 + 8 stereo pairs for master + 8 tracks).

Alternatively, I wouldn’t mind if I got 8 mono channels out of Overbridge, but afaict that’s not possible.

I own VCV Pro, so I guess I could host Overbridge and VCV-VST in my DAW, then route the audio from Overbridge into VCV-fx VST? I don’t really need the DAW, so…

ping.

As far as I am aware, overbridge individual track outputs are “Stereo mono” as in the left and right channel are duplicated with no stereo imaging applied to them, so you really only need 10 channels;

L + R Master for effects
1 - 8 for individual tracks

I don’t have VCV pro, but did dick about with VCV1 prior to getting any hardware. HostXL allows you to host a plugin within VCV does it not? Maybe you could track out L + R master, T1 - T6. You’d lose two channels unfortunately. I don’t think you can run two instances of overbridge at the same time.

If you can host VCV in a daw, you’d probably want to do that. Use OB in the daw, take the channels and route them to the VCV plugin, use VCV Library - VCV Audio 16 to then receive the audio channels via that into your rack. I’ll dick about tonight if I have time and see if there’s a way to do it without a DAW but I don’t have pro so will be missing some of the tools you have on offer.

The only problem with hosting in a DAW is that I had sync issues (on Bitwig) with Overbridge audio coming in “early” - somehow the latency compensation over-estimated or something? (Also, I’ve been using VCV for 4-5 years vs. Bitwig for just one.)

Maybe you could track out L + R master, T1 - T6.

If I could just take the track outputs and skip the master I’d be happy. I’m not aware of a way to tell Host XL which outputs to select. I’ll take it up with VCV support, I guess.

Bit left field I know but have thought that Bidule might help ?

Maybe you could host both VSTs in it and control the audio routing between them ? I have no idea if you can and I haven’t used the software for years, but I thought it would be amiss not to mention it :smiley:

Inside your DAW, insert VCV Fx on an audio track and send individual OB tracks to it.

So, OB sends its individual outs to audio tracks, those tracks are send to another audio track with the VCV Fx plugin, each to its own bus within VCV (I can choose from Track in, 5/6 In, 7/8 In … 15/16 - depends on your DAW I guess, but there has to be a way) In VCV, use Audio8 to get the individual tracks out. After processing, send audio to a mixer and then back into Audio8 inputs 1 and 2 for stereo out from the VCV Fx plugin.

If you need more channels, Audio16.

I’ll try something like this.

The trick will be getting OB’s audio and system audio in sync. I’ve previously sent DIN/sync to VCV over two audio channels (24PPQN and run/stop) to get VCV to sync with hardware. I wonder if Bitwig could sync to that?

I sync all my hardware from OB in my DAW and never had any issues. So OB has sync+transport enabled, Rytm is in OB mode and I just use midi from my Rytm to sync my other gear to my DAW.
Elektron does not recommend to work like that, but several users use OB for sync.

I briefly tested Bitwig, but I don’t recall how the audio routing works. You only have to get all the OB tracks as individual channels (like you would do when multitracking OB) and then route them all into one audio track that has the VCV FX plugin. Connect patchcords from inputs 1 ans 2 back to outputs 1 and 2 on Audio8 or Audio16 to check if audio is coming through.

Audio8 and Audio16 will then automatically carry all the tracks coming from OB and you can patch them as you like.

I just selected it as an audio interface with audio 16 and then brought the channels in … seemed to work

Overbridge as an audio interface? Can you do this and use a regular interface at the same time?

You can use as many audio modules as you like !

:slight_smile: