How big has the Octatrack been for Elektron?

I don’t remember being able to lock a waveform position in the table to the arp in the MWII or XTk.
Easy enough in tracker though.

its not locking its wave sequencing. p locking is the evolution of waveform table on the sidstation. This is from the Sidstation manual http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2013/SidStation_Ownersmanual_OS1.1.pdf
Waveform table (Tabl)

A waveform table is a concept unknown to most people unknown of music creation techniques of the Commodore 64. It is a bit similar to what is used in the Wave-synthesizers by Waldorf, but with the SID it is usually not used to do sweet sweeping pads. SID tables are often harsh transitions for dramatic effects. The difference from “wave sequences” known from the Korg Wavestation, is that the SidStation tables are usually played through much quicker to create percussive effects. Or, it can be used at a lower speed as a conceptual sequencer, with control over waveform, synchronisation, ringmodulation notenumber (transpose). Viewed on the whole, it sounds very different from what is known from other synthesizers.

If you’ve searched for the secret on how to do those Rob Hubbard effects from classic Commodore C64 games like Commando or Delta, or how the cool drums of SID-songs are made - tables are the answer. It takes some practice to master the technique, but the results can be radical.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, I’m a big fan of Sid. No interpolation. 342 Waveform City too.
But don’t you think that Creative Lab’s take on the ‘wavetable’ was the best? :drunk:

1 Like

My 1st was a Juno-106 with a sequencer. It just didn’t have brand specific name so I called it realtime controller data recording on a sequencer. I was doing this mid '90s on mid '80s gear.

Hence the negative symbol. :wink:

My eyes aren’t that good. Too old. I thought you were asking a legitimate question.

1 Like

Perfect for resisting world leaders of 2020!

MPC checks all those boxes, ‘cept p-locks.

I think the same. Every device after the OT don’t feel Elektron to me.
I’m not saying the new device are bad but they seem coming from another company.
Instead of making a OT mk3 they gave us Digitakt=simpler version of the OT and Model Sample=simpler version of the DT.
Elektron targeted people who buy a box just because a certain Youtuber has it and they make simpler devices for people who say a box is bad because they don’t know how to use.
Of course the OT sold less than the DT.
Elektron was the only company who felt genuine, no anymore.
The OT is the only box I dreamed for yeara and save money to have it.
I could buy a DT just because it’s cheaper and I think a lot of users got a DT for that reason. There’s nothing magical about a box you buy just because it’s cheaper.
In the past people bought MachineDrum, Monomachine, Octatrack etc because they wanted that box not because they were cheaper alternative.

I have Octa and think Digi is better as a product. A friend bought an Octa as first Elektron box, I told him it is too complex better start with DT. Sold OT, bought DT and said “should have started this way earlier”. Octa is for power users, like many said it is not for everyone. The format, features and the price of the Digis make them a winner.

2 Likes

Subjective, appart from the price (except OT MKI 2nd hand). For me, concerning features, OT is a hands down winner. Long list.

5 Likes

I truly don’t understand what’s so hard about the OT.
If you scratch the surface it’s basically a DT then of course you can go deeper.
Honestly when I got it I used it without reading the manual. Sure then I had to read it to understand certain things.
Personally I feel people want to do everything possible on every box they buy but why? I mean I don’t use every feature of the OT why should I even bother? I’m not a fan of the OT arp, not because it’s bad but because it’s not what I expect an arp do(of course OT arp do much more than a simple arp) but simply it doesn’t gel with me=I don’t use it and I don’t have to.
Personally they don’t even look so different, the layout is similar (the OT even better for quick track selection), the copy/paste/erase function, the sequencer, double tap stuff, etc.

2 Likes

In a nutshell it is its flexibility.

Just take the DT as an example. From an eagle’s perspective the DT provides a single workflow for its functionalities.

There is a single way of sampling (manually, 1 recorder, not programmable, no different buffers, no simultaneous sampling and playback). There is a single source for sounds you can play (only from sound slot list/RAM). There are only send effects. Pattern are self-contained (no kits/parts). And so on.

When it comes to how to use the DT there is not really much to learn or much to decide by yourself.

The OT is a completely different beast. While you can use it like a DT you at least need to make the deliberate decision to stick to this simple kind of workflows (for example: only use flex, don’t utilize parts, only do manual sampling). But even then you need to learn a few additional things to get you going.

To make a long story short: the OT gives you tons of functionalities, but you need to come up with your own workflows, how and which features you want to utilize. This involves some learning and experimenting and is almost never a clear cut.

But this “craft your own workflows” isn’t for everyone (like modular isn’t for everyone). Where the DT is like a kind of instant meal, the OT just provides you with various ingredients.

So everyone who states that the OT is “hard” means he don’t want to cook himself. :wink:

12 Likes

I don’t think OT is biggest seller, probably DT is.

I do think it is their best machine so far though, it is genius IMHO.

5 Likes

I’ve always assumed its sales are a bit meh for Elektron. No way to know - just my guess. I assume digi’s are a whole new level of sales success though.

I don’t know where I have it, but there is a small booklet by Elektron with the historical course of their machines.

Personally I think the complexity and functionality of the OT is overstated. I have owned boxes which are certainly more complex and, in their own way, offer more functions (e.g. Korg M3).

I suspect the DT has sold in far greater volume than the OT, not just because it is cheaper, but also because many don’t want all the functions offered by the OT, particularly as some functions are not as well implemented as a dedicated unit (e.g. a DT plus an RC505 can be had for the same price as an OT).

That’s why I find it not hard at all.
If I don’t like something the machine itself give me another way of doing that function without even try to use workaround.

^

That was my point. People want to use every function but why? I don’t properly know how the looper works because I usually record midi or when I sample long performance I usually chop it. But few times I used and it helped me to compose something I never did before.
Sure a dedicated looper work easily but I think the OT has a really logical approach of doing things.

1 Like

I first heard about them due to the MachineDrum, it seemed to be a constant in many techno producers set ups and I lusted after one. I didn’t see the OT until after I had been drawn in by the AR. I sold an original TB303 and that funded my AR + SV-1, BSP and a TT303 mk2. I started reading this forum and realised I needed an OT to help with the direction I was going (playing live Techno) and saved up for a 2nd hand one.
Very different to anything else I have, with gold nuggets in dusty corners. It took some time to get used to it, but knowing the AR helped. I Love it and still only use about 25% of it’s power!
I think the Model Samples might push the DT for sales in the future.

Is the OT finally too old to get yet another largely cosmetic upgrade? What do we think the odds are that Elektron discontinues the OT without replacing it with an equivalent, as they arguably did with the Monomachine?

1 Like